Forums

Help › Forums

Idea for parallel Starters Virtual Tour

Tue, Mar 15 2016 2:58 PM (147 replies)
  • CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, May 15 2014 8:49 AM

Right back at you Ben. I shot a 74 with all starter gear in the Qualifier this morning. Could have been 3 strokes better on wedge and putting mistakes otherwise I couldn't get any more out of it today. Had great wind so I'm a little disappointed in myself for those 3 strokes.

~CD~

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, May 18 2014 3:44 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    Well I think I've discovered a new Pain Threshold test. I played the Monthly BOP4 free Tourney with all starter gear and ball. I did shoot under of goal of 90 by shooting an 88. The High Wind combined with Champ Speed Greens(Legend Tier) is an ego crusher of the highest order. ... Play this only if you can control your nerves and patience. GL

Wow, this is as hardcore as it gets! Bo4 is just one punishing hole after another... and with this gear and set-up, it really is the ultimate Iron Man test on WGT!

I thought I was doing pretty well until Merion's #5 (the 17th here) bit me badly with a triple with the finishing post in sight.

Best shot of the round, this 237 yard 3W with helping wind on the 16th (Oly's #5) that settled nicely 9ft below the hole (but I pulled the birdie putt!).

An 87 for me (+15)   

[Bo4/Champ tees/Heavy wind/Champ greens/all Starter clubs & balls]

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, May 18 2014 3:49 AM

Corwyn:
    CerinoDevoti:
    I tried Cabo with all starter gear in the Wk 13 18 Hole Single Play and the course plays beautifully. Had Moderate Wind in Legend Tier and it's pretty tame. ... the best could easily shoot perhaps -3. ... Good luck folks and I hope some others play it just for the fun. It's really pretty cool actually.

bhoese:
    It was a lot of fun playing all those shots I've never seen before. 

That was great! A wonderful experience, and the first of these starter challenges where par is really possible on every hole, and there are quite a few birdie chances too.

Cabo is back again this week in the Wk20 18 Hole Single Play (flat-lies) and it really is a fun test with full starters. As at end March when we played it last (see p6-7), we Legends had Moderate wind with Tourney greens. 

I got one shot closer to a par round, shooting 73 this time (+1), and was again left rueing those few mistakes that made all the difference. 

A bad ding miss on approach to #3 blew the easiest birdie on the course, and I missed 2 greens I shouldn't have on #8 and #9. Then I did find the front of the green on #10 but couldn't control the very difficult lag and three-putted to my third consecutive bogey. Ouch!

I was very pleased with this delicate putt from way above the hole on #11 (38ft 19 down, hit at 10pwr), and played #14 to perfection: a tee shot as close as I dared to the left to create the most angle possible to aim at the pin, then this 4i that had no margin for error and had to land in the rough/fringe to hold anywhere near the hole, then sunk the 9ft curler for a very satisfying birdie.

A pushed SW on #15 led to this miss which would have given me a cushion for the closing holes, and sure enough, I came to the dreaded 18th needing par...

Disaster: I went left with my 2nd into no-man's land: then tried an ambitious attempt to go above the hole and roll back… only… it didn't, lol. All that remained was this intriguing attempt to make the putt, which somehow achieved the impossible, getting it to stop above the hole. I really did think this had a chance of going in for the par round! 

Now if I'd only taken my scores on the 2 Cabo holes above from the Best of Par 4 round (Cabo's #3 & #18: Bo4's 14th and 7th) and managed them in this round... 

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, May 18 2014 12:15 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    MainzMan:
    Has anyone played the Cutter and Buck with starter clubs and the sponsors ball yet?  I started a round but with those winds I couldn't clear the rough in front of the tees if there was any head wind and was needing 4 or 5 shots to get to the greens.  Not a lot of fun to be had there.

I made it though 2 holes. I'll try again but........maybe. ;)

Well, gentlemen, I just tackled the Cutter & Buck with full Starters (clubs and ball), and played what may be one of my best ever rounds with starters, shooting level par at RSG in Moderate wind, with Tourney greens, from the tips. Woo hoo!!!

It helped that I played the par 3s in -3, and was putting beautifully on the back 9. Even so, I had some bad shots on the front, a fractional push on this 12ft save attempt on #7 was enough to leave it agonizingly short and miss par into the wind, and I hit a bad pull on #8 into the bunker and failed to get up and down (when I had a tailwind and should have been on the green in two).

I had strong headwinds on #2, #4, #7, #9, #13, #18, but did pretty well with my wedge game, and putter, to save par on 3 of those.

This was my tee shot on #6 to 1.4ft (downwind, which made it tricky, and was happy to get a helpful bounce); and on #16 I again had a tailwind making it hard to land on and yet stop the 5 iron: I got a lot of luck to go just far enough to catch a nice slope and roll back to 9ft and make the birdie.

Perhaps the best shot of the round came on #15. With a big tailwind, I'd decided a 3rd from a lay-up position would be hard to get the distance right and make it stop anyway, so foolishly opted instead to try and thread the needle through the bunkers, but my dinged 3W took off to the right and landed in 50-60% sand. This escape was well-nigh perfect though!

Here's the full card, stats and greenshot showing clubs:

Anyone else up for this Challenge? I'm going to offer some incentive: a sleeve of choice to the first 3 players who can match or better this score with the same gear and set-up (full starters). You'll need to post similar proof here in the thread, including greenshot showing club set etc.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, May 18 2014 12:56 PM

Hey Corwyn,

So glad you played the Par 4 thing so I could have something to compare. At the end I wasn't sure if I played well or terrible as it was just so hard overall.

Great play on Cabo. I played it to par with the Golden Clubs so your score is truly fantastic.

As for the Cutter & Buck, you might as well ofer $10,000 to equal or better your score with all starter gear. It's such a fantastic score I can't see anyone beating it. Unreal!!!

~CD~

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sun, May 18 2014 10:40 PM

Thanks Corwyn for the "heads up" on Cabo.  It's a contender for my favorite course from the tips with starters.  I couldn't threaten par after this completely careless miss led to a 4-putt on 12.  I also missed sub-5-foot putts on both 1 and 2, although they were regular misses of tough reads, not the inexcusable stupidity displayed on 12!

I matched Corwyn almost inch-for-inch on 14 with this approach leading to the birdie putt.  That's a perfectly constructed golf hole when it can't be overpowered by fancy gear.  On the down side, Corwyn's tale of his 3-putt on 10 is very familiar, too.

Please note:  I used my usual Nike putter instead of the starter.  I've been on a bad streak with my reads and need some practice that includes accurate feedback on my misses. 

It occurred to me that last week's 18 was on Whistler, which we haven't tried with the starters yet.  So I shelled out the credits for a ranked round.  I got Moderate wind and the dreaded Champ greens on the big W.

A nice 10 footer on 1 and a lucky 9 iron from an unfamiliar angle on 2 were squandered when my 6 iron on 3 got gobbled up by the pines.  It took a couple of hacks to reach the green.   I had never played the course with anything lower than the L59 G20s, and It never even occurred to me that I might not clear the trees on my approach.  

I played poorly in a general kinda way on 4 and 5, then steadied through the middle holes.  A nice wedge birdie on 9 was annihilated by a pitch-when-I-meant-to-hit-full error on 11 that would have been worse without this putt.  Uninteresting birdies on 15 and 16 got me back to level.  17 was unreachable (the only such hole on the course) into a headwind and I sent the wedge a little past and watched it roll away to the right down the slope, then pushed the par try.  

It was all down to a birdie on 18 for the even par round.  Luckily, my 147 yard third shot with a 5-iron played almost exactly like the typical 240 yard 2nd shot with fancies, and I had seen the birdie putt a time or two previously.  

With the starters, Whistler was nowhere near as fun as Cabo.  This surprised me, as I prefer Whistler with fancies.  I was also surprised to look at the cards and see that Whistler is 463 yards shorter than its TruGolf cousin.  It's probably because Whistler is always daring you to hit a perfect shot with fancies,  right up to the end of a fairway section or into a choke point,  while Cabo just surrenders.  With starters, Whistler is the one that gives you the fat midsection of its fairways, while Cabo more often requires a plan of attack.

Par isn't a great score with starters from Whistler's tips.  A bogey-free round is possible, with plenty of birdie ops along the way.  

• MaranaCop
    27 Posts
    Sun, May 18 2014 11:43 PM

Has anyone else checked out the stats on the leaders of the virtual tour? most have "Best 18 holes" scores in the 30's. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

• KyRock75
    411 Posts
    Mon, May 19 2014 9:16 AM

MaranaCop:

Has anyone else checked out the stats on the leaders of the virtual tour? most have "Best 18 holes" scores in the 30's. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Prolly because the par 3 course scores count as 18 hole scores in your history.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, May 19 2014 2:26 PM

MainzMan:

Has anyone played the Cutter and Buck with starter clubs and the sponsors ball yet?  I started a round but with those winds I couldn't clear the rough in front of the tees if there was any head wind and was needing 4 or 5 shots to get to the greens.  Not a lot of fun to be had there.

Been messing about with that particular tournament using all starter gear. Similar to yourself regarding trying to even reach  f/w's with a strong headwind  at some holes.

e.g. Hole #2 is impossible to reach at times depending on the wind.... but a decent option is the path that's visible to the right of centre of the f/w - 20/30% rough.

Honest, I meant the tee shot! 

Just not having much joy in getting round finished.

This flop shot @ #1 was soul destroying ;o(

A round with starters isn't a bad option at this point in time whilst WGT seems to be struggling to keep any balls with credit value in bounds....... 

*25ft putt in real life earlier today...soz, couldn't resist. :O)

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Mon, May 19 2014 2:55 PM

KyRock75:

MaranaCop:

Prolly because the par 3 course scores count as 18 hole scores in your history.

My best 9 hole score is 19... which would be really impressive if it wasn't on a par 3 course...lol

RSS