Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Apr 25 2016 9:16 AM

Gotta love it !

April 25

1214 - Louis IX ~ King of France

1284 - Edward II ~ House of Plantagenet ~ King of England

Like his Grandfather Henry III, Edward II inherited exceptionally large shoes to fill. His Father, Edward I , had by nearly unanimous acclaim been a remarkably  successful King. But Edward II had allowed his affection for two favorites---first Piers Gaveston, and later  Hugh Despenser---to overide  all consideration of responsible Kingship.

1599 - Oliver Cromwell ~ House of Stuart ~ Lord Protector of England

If ever there was an uncrowned King of England, Oliver Cromwell was that man. After establishing himself as a compelling leader during the Civil War, he eventually became Lord Protector of England--King in all but name.His son Richard who somewhat reluctantly inherited that position after his Father's death, followed a different path, to a different fate.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Apr 25 2016 11:12 AM

Being a geeky engineer and all I didn't take any History electives so I do appreciate and find these posts very interesting!  Thanks!

Andy

• Luciano18
    316 Posts
    Mon, Apr 25 2016 4:58 PM

Speaking of History - Happy Anniversary Lily (yesterday I believe)

I remember this because it is my 7th today - cake on the way hahaha

Oh, and my little sister's B'Day also

Always good to learn a little more about the way things were with this thread

Glad you revived it

Luciano

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 7:57 AM

Big thanks to Luciano (happy #7!) and Andyson for the kind positive comments. I receive kudos for this thread more often than one would think as its nature is for a quick read without need of comments. I am happy about that.

April 26

121 - Marcus Aurelius ~ Emperor of Rome

570 - Muhammed ~ Founder of Islam       *I know his life story pretty well and am willing to write it here in 4 -6 parts if there is an interest to know the facts...let me know here ;-}

???- And a huge Happy Birthday to a good friend, and a Director at Valencia CC Mr lee22sharon. Lee ? Have a peaceful, lovely day, please

~ L ~

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 1:05 PM

SweetiePie:
    570 - Muhammed ~ Founder of Islam       *I know his life story pretty well and am willing to write it here in 4 -6 parts if there is an interest to know the facts...let me know here ;-}

It would be interesting however the Posting Guidelines state:

"Do not post anything that is, or could be, construed to be:
    • directly discussing, or alluding to a religion
    directly discussing, or alluding to a religious figure
    •directly discussing, or alluding to a religious stance

WGT has a zero tolerance policy for the topic of religion on the forums.
    "

The second bullet kills it.  It would be hard to avoid violating that one.

I would hate to see you spend the time writing it all only to get it deleted by WGT Lily.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 2:05 PM

andyson:

SweetiePie:

It would be interesting however the Posting Guidelines state:

"Do not post anything that is, or could be, construed to be:
    • directly discussing, or alluding to a religion
    directly discussing, or alluding to a religious figure
    •directly discussing, or alluding to a religious stance

WGT has a zero tolerance policy for the topic of religion on the forums.
    "

The second bullet kills it.  It would be hard to avoid violating that one.

I would hate to see you spend the time writing it all only to get it deleted by WGT Lily.

Thanks Andy, I'll just say he was an interesting, albeit unusual chap. ;-} But it is just a life story, so if all do is provide the facts of this interesting life how can I do anything wrong sticking with his facts?

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 2:15 PM

SweetiePie:

Big thanks to Luciano (happy #7!) and Andyson for the kind positive comments. I receive kudos for this thread more often than one would think as its nature is for a quick read without need of comments. I am happy about that.

April 26

121 - Marcus Aurelius ~ Emperor of Rome

???- And a huge Happy Birthday to a good friend, and a Director at Valencia CC Mr lee22sharon. Lee ? Have a peaceful, lovely day, please

~ L ~

Thank you for the mention.  I see I am in the company of greatly known figures from history.  my nickle.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 3:20 PM

SweetiePie:

Gotta love it !

April 25

Like his Grandfather Henry III, Edward II inherited exceptionally large shoes to fill. His Father, Edward I , had by nearly unanimous acclaim been a remarkably  successful King. But Edward II had allowed his affection for two favorites---first Piers Gaveston, and later  Hugh Despenser---to overide  all consideration of responsible Kingship.

If ever there was an uncrowned King of England, Oliver Cromwell was that man. After establishing himself as a compelling leader during the Civil War, he eventually became Lord Protector of England--King in all but name.His son Richard who somewhat reluctantly inherited that position after his Father's death, followed a different path, to a different fate.

All very interesting facts, Lily., but if I may most humbly add, rumor has it , that on this day in 1956 , my alter ego ( who shall remain anonymoose ) was brought forth into this world, that he might pursue an inglorious and somewhat innocuous diversion into this wonderful realm we now know as WGT.

Doc :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 7:21 PM

drmoose:

SweetiePie:

Gotta love it !

April 25

All very interesting facts, Lily., but if I may most humbly add, rumor has it , that on this day in 1956 , my alter ego ( who shall remain anonymoose ) was brought forth into this world, that he might pursue an inglorious and somewhat innocuous diversion into this wonderful realm we now know as WGT.

I knew that. I just wanted to see if you were reading my thread...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOC !! 

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 7:25 PM

TYVM, SP, I am most humbly honored.

RSS