Forums

Help › Forums

Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2016 7:50 AM

April 15

So tragic. At elevenish in the pm on the 14th, in 1912, the cream of all ocean liners, the magnificent, and 100% unsinkable, brand new, maiden voyager the Titanic scraped a giant, sharp edged iceberg, frozen as hard as granite, suffered a tremendous gash running a good 3/4ths of the right side of the liner, and startled many of the passengers, but not too much. It was a bump with some mild interest. About an hour and a half later in the wee hours of April 15, the unsinkable, Top Banana of ocean travel sank. I try to mentally transport myself to that time in effort to imagine the magnitude of confusion, fear and panic. A remembered event with much story, death, survival and a up-crust list of passengers unable to purchase anything important. i purchased a small, china, fruit saucer at a Titanic auction. I can't explain why?

~ Lily ~

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2016 11:03 AM

Events of happiness are remembered, but not for long and not as well as  events of tragedy.  why?  my nickle.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2016 4:14 PM

lee22sharon:

Events of happiness are remembered, but not for long and not as well as  events of tragedy.  why?  my nickle.

Gee Lee

Gee, Lee. Perhaps it is a combination of human nature mixed with (since the beginning) the fact that delightful, lovey-dovey news stories don't sell newspapers.

~ Lily ~ 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Apr 16 2016 2:59 AM

SweetiePie:

. i purchased a small, china, fruit saucer at a Titanic auction. I can't explain why?

~ Lily ~

Because, perhaps you are a ghoul?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Apr 16 2016 8:30 AM

PaulTon:

SweetiePie:

. i purchased a small, china, fruit saucer at a Titanic auction. I can't explain why?

~ Lily ~

Because, perhaps you are a ghoul?

Nah...but I'm willing to learn. As for the china saucer, at first I displayed it in shrine type fashion yet not obtrusive. But soon I thought , why? this isn't me. Then I started using it which, really seemed silly and  then said forget it and donated it to a charitable silent auction where it fetched a price higher than I originally paid. ;-}

~ SP ~

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2016 3:01 AM

SweetiePie:

lee22sharon:

Gee Lee

Gee, Lee. Perhaps it is a combination of human nature mixed with (since the beginning) the fact that delightful, lovey-dovey news stories don't sell newspapers.

~ Lily ~ 

Events of happiness are remembered, but only by those for whom it was memorable. 

Being newsworthy is a matter of whether it will sell copy, or ratings as Lily says.

For example had I invited Angelina Jolie into the cockpit  and we had wild sex, and the papers got hold of it....it would be news but if it had been with Lily......it would not make news. Why? People love scandals (bigger the name, the more copies it sells)......and they sell papers etc. Probably  bad analogy....but we can all dream lol

Is it newsworthy...not really....especially when on page 10 there is a 1 inch article on thousands dying in some disaster.

So we as buyers of the papers are partly responsible, but how can a disaster trump a scandal.......we do not want anything too heavy to depress us in the morning or ruin out appetite at dinner time.

Even the most dramatic new stories run their course, not because they suddenly become less newsworthy, but because we wane in our interest.

Sensationalism sells....and we buy into it. History hopefully is not just newspaper articles lol.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2016 9:02 AM

[quote user="alanti"]For example had I invited Angelina Jolie into the cockpit  and we had wild sex, and the papers got hold of it....it would be news but if it had been with Lily...[/quote

...it would have been the most spectacular, amazingly delightful event in the history of the "mile high club" ;=}}

April 17 Birthdays

1741 - Judge Samuel Chase, a signer of The Declaration of Independence, which is in effect like signing your own death certificate...and to be drawn and quartered....an interesting show,,,

1837 - A most powerful banker and CEO of US Steel J.P.Morgan

~ L ~

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2016 6:44 PM

SweetiePie:
    ...it would have been the most spectacular, amazingly delightful event in the history of the "mile high club" ;=}}

LOL *blushes* and how I would have liked to remember that...........and probably explained the turbulence the passengers experienced.

On thus date (1927) an airship race was scheduled to go ahead from NY to Paris, but got rescheduled due to an engine issue aboard one the airships.

Of historical significance....Invasion of the Bay of Pigs....without getting political.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2016 1:35 PM

April 18

1480 -  Lucrecia Borgia

A murderess fond of poison, yet the Daughter of the insanely  powerful  Pope Alexander. She was, however, quite a fetching, and sexually endowed wench with much loot to fetch with coupled with the effortless yet graceful social skills she obtained and polished to enhance her talent of pouring a goblet of poison...quite a gift.

1857 - A defense attorney without a peer for the purpose of an example...he was that good. Clarence Darrow still remembered in conversation in high places, Still remembered for his connection to the "Scopes Monkey Trial" in conversation or better, in "shootin the breeze" in lower places. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 8:50 AM

It's April 19th

And in 1903, the man remembered firmly as most responsible for finding and using unusual paper facts by applying them in court to at last move gangster king  Al Capone from top shelf living arrangements to the unappealing. The simplicity of a jail cell. The hero we are speaking about was US Federal Agent  Eliot Ness. Perhaps, allowed longevity in memory by the TV show and movie known as"The Untouchables" He celebrated his birthday until 1957.

And then we must remember the year 1933 that brought us Vera Jane Palmer, who is so better known by the snazzy yet classy  name, Jayne Mansfield.  And it seems most natural for her to have two names. I don't recall the year. in the mid 60s, when a terrific car wreak snagged her life away , but I do know that decapitation was a part of it. She is also spoken of having a tremendous IQ. as to whether or not she had the 145 Mensa entry level requirement is unknown. 

~ L ~

RSS