Help › Forums

Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 6:53 AM

WigerToods2010:

May 1st

1950 ~ On this day Gwendolyn Brooks (1917 - 2000) became the first African-American woman to be awarded a Pulitzer Prize (for poetry).

Thanks Johnny....she has a look of kindness suited for a poet...yes ?

May 2

1729 - Catherine the Great ~ German Empress of Russia

1750 - John Andre ~ British officer of the American Revolutionary War. Captured carrying a notes of operation for the takeover of West Point by traitor Benedict Arnold. While being held he became a fast friend of Alexander Hamilton before his being hanged. A tragic effect of War.

1892 - Manfred von Richthofen ~ The Red Baron ~ the German Ace fighter pilot of WWI

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2016 6:36 AM

Oh yes, May 5 or as it is known and celebrated south of the Rio Grande

Cinco de (pass the F-ing) Mayo

1818 - Karl Marx  ~ German Philosopher - born in Prussia

1849 - Hambletonion ~ born in Chester, NY - Greatest standardbred racehorse

1865 - Nellie Bly ~ American Journalist 

Are there any WGT birthdays today ?

~ L ~

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2016 8:14 PM

SweetiePie          ... Thank you  for this  thread ....                  no wonder  Sweetie   was your  avatar  name,   you  wear  it well  . :) 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, May 6 2016 7:06 AM

frappefort:

SweetiePie          ... Thank you  for this  thread ....                  no wonder  Sweetie   was your  avatar  name,   you  wear  it well  . :) 

Nothing like starting a day with a hot cup of java and word of kindness from one whom you admire....Thanks Frapp...really nice!

May 6 ...already

1758 - Maximilien Robespierre ~ French Revolutionary player

1856 - Sigmund Freud ~ "Father of Psychology' ...maybe the greatest con man in history. He never discovered anything nor found a cure for anything, so he invented a disease and did very well. He was known to be quite fond of cocaine.

1895 - Rudolph Valentino ~ Roaring Twenties heartthrob of the Silent Silver Screen

~ L ~

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Fri, May 6 2016 10:46 AM

SweetiePie:
    May 6 ...already

Scarey....what happened to the first 126 days of this year?

But more significantly, the birthday of one of the games all time greats, Willie Mays.  I was fortunate enough to be a young Giants fan when he was in his prime, and have many fond memories watching him play.  AND by all accounts a true gentleman as well, still be found lurking around the Giants clubhouse dropping a word of advice or encouragement here and there.

Thomas

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, May 6 2016 12:49 PM

newcastleb:

SweetiePie:
    May 6 ...already

Scarey....what happened to the first 126 days of this year?

But more significantly, the birthday of one of the games all time greats, Willie Mays.  I was fortunate enough to be a young Giants fan when he was in his prime, and have many fond memories watching him play.  AND by all accounts a true gentleman as well, still be found lurking around the Giants clubhouse dropping a word of advice or encouragement here and there.

Thomas

Willie Mays !    Would probably show up in any conversation about the "five Greatest Baseball players of All Time". He was before my time but the name is as solid as ever. He was missed today by me because I have yet to embrace any one from the 20th Century....but I may do so. I'm getting back to this thread slowly...on purpose as I consider and search for creative inspiration...

~ Lily ~

WILLIE MAYS

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, May 7 2016 5:40 AM

SweetiePie:
    ...what happened to the first 126 days of this year?

Yes, What happened ? Let me tell ya. They became 127

May 7

1812 - Robert Browning ~ of London, a Poet

1885 - George " GABBY " Hays ~ American Actor....there is only one "GABBY "

1901 - Gary Coopey ~ Actor that snagged 2 Academy Awards

1933 - Johnny Unitas ~ A Baltimore Colt for all time

1950 - Randall " Tex " Cobb ~ Boxer ? More like a professional punching bag 

Are there any WGT B-Days today ?

~ L ~

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, May 8 2016 10:01 AM

Happy Mothers Day !! to all who qualify....and a special one to my Mother, Donna Sue (Billings) M----  1950 - 2013

May 8

1884 - Harry Truman ~ President # 33 who quickly ended our war with Japan.

1893 - Francis Quimet ~ The pro shop assistant who won the US Open in 1913

Tell your Mother how much you love her, and thank her for being the best friend you will ever have.

~ L ~

;-}

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 9 2016 7:52 AM

Let's call it Happy Monday

May 9

1265 - Dante Alighieri ~ Poet Of Italy, author of "The Human Comedy "

1800 - John Brown ~ American abolitionist and Confederate captured at Harpers Ferry, tried and hung by the neck.

1843 - Belle Boyd ~ Confederate spy of note. Brave and full of spunk. Shot a union solder in her home for "sassing her Mother". She should be on the new $20 bill.

1873 - Howard Carter ~ British archaeologist who labored a long time to discover the tomb of King Tutankhamen

1939 - Jim Dent ~ The PGA long, long knocker....really long...I'm talkin' long.

A sweet day to ya

~ Lily ~

;-]

• blindpugh
    433 Posts
    Mon, May 9 2016 2:07 PM

SweetiePie:

Let's call it Happy Monday

May 9

1265 - Dante Alighieri ~ Poet Of Italy, author of "The Human Comedy "

1800 - John Brown ~ American abolitionist and Confederate captured at Harpers Ferry, tried and hung by the neck.

1843 - Belle Boyd ~ Confederate spy of note. Brave and full of spunk. Shot a union solder in her home for "sassing her Mother". She should be on the new $20 bill.

1873 - Howard Carter ~ British archaeologist who labored a long time to discover the tomb of King Tutankhamen

1939 - Jim Dent ~ The PGA long, long knocker....really long...I'm talkin' long.

A sweet day to ya

~ Lily ~

;-]

Did you buy everyone a card ?

RSS