Help › Forums

THE DAY OF THE WEDGE IS OVER!!!!!!

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 5 2010 5:55 AM (38 replies)
  • tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 2:58 PM

ironking34:

Had my worst game yesterday at STA with the following conditions:  High Wind (most of it into you) Tournament speed greens, playing from the back tees. 

I just played in that same 18 hole Ready Go round St Andrews. I honestly think the computer is trying to break our spirits with this wind. The first 7 holes were all played into a head wind of at least 28mph. On the 8th the pin is at the front tucked up behind the front bunker. What does it give me?.........yep you guessed it, a 31mph tail wind, lol....

Honestly I had to laugh or else I would have broken down watching my ball roll relentlessly over the back of the green leaving me a 50 yard 2nd shot.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 3:20 PM

I am sure they will.

In fact the more I think about it, the more I am convinced this was the entire rational behind the changes.

Lets look at the situation. You have an ever increasing number of masters that have upgraded their clubs. They have the best driver and irons, wedges, and a top putter. They have spent their money. The only need to buy balls occasionally.

Thus, that is not an income generating set of addicted users. Add new levels, put the players back a tee. Sell them new clubs.

Many will whinge and moan, but to get back to the advantage they once had they won't resist coughing up the cash.

Plus, you will get a fraction of what you paid for what were perfectly good clubs. Fair dos as you go through the ranks they give you fairly generous credit awards. But that doesn't cover the difference between new driver = free credits and old driver cashback. I suggest that WGT can squeeze about 200/300 credits out of each player here.

Fair enough, peoples choice. Let's see what happens after this has settled down. Let's see what happens in a years time, when said players again have all the best equipment.

Add to this the thought that people at most levels can buy whatever equipment they chose, and it really starts to look like a money making ploy.

To counter this, I suggest WGT consider making some of the high end balls a bit cheaper. Plus remove the extra cost for colours.

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 3:33 PM

PeterHopper:
    Thus, that is not an income generating set of addicted users. Add new levels, put the players back a tee. Sell them new clubs.

Thanks to the ready go tourneys most of the better players don't have to spend their own money on clubs.  I haven't donated to WGT since last November.  Hopefully we get a Legends driver sooner than  later that's my only gripe.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:30 PM

ironking34:
    Hopefully we get a Legends driver sooner than  later that's my only gripe.

Exactly -  Just give me a frigging driver that averages 300yds and maybe I'll get to use my wedges for scoring again.  And no I don't think we should have to wait until level 1,548 to get it...

It's bad enough that most of the par 3's are over 200 yds at least give me a chance on the par 4's.

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 8:25 PM

Mem11:

Exactly -  Just give me a frigging driver that averages 300yds and maybe I'll get to use my wedges for scoring again.  And no I don't think we should have to wait until level 1,548 to get it...

It's bad enough that most of the par 3's are over 200 yds at least give me a chance on the par 4's.

It seems like the tour masters are now winner a lot of the ready go tourneys.  If you notice most of these tour masters have joined in the past 2-4 months meaning they having played enough of rounds to be considered legends but they are still as good as most of the guys in the legend tier.  Now they are using the same equipment as us "legends" but they get to using a closer tee giving them too much of an advantage.  I thought someone should get rewarded for doing good or being good, somehow WGT punished a bunch of people for being good.  Yes, 95 percent of the 'Legends" have been punished by WGT.  WGT it's time to make amends just give us a legends driver.  We can learn to deal with the quicker greens but there is no way we can make up that extra distance.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 8:33 PM

Hey ironking, check out the last post in my thread to see the results of me teeing off from the amateur tees.

http://wgt.com/forums/p/21117/122297.aspx

-5 for 9 holes with starter clubs

-10 for 9 holes with master clubs

There will be amateurs shooting in the -5 to -10 range here in RG's very shortly.  Us legends will never win anything ever again.  Writing is on the wall... I'm starting a second account, gifting it 200 sleeves of golf balls, and then getting this original one deleted.  People will hate me for sandbagging, of course, but I don't make the game... (in fact, I even highlighted the problems and offered to solve these problems for WGT [which I can easily do,] only to be ignored)... I just play it to the best of my ability.

• corace
    276 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 8:50 PM

I've been reading all these post the last few days, and can't believe some of the commits. Is this real golf no, is it close yes. With age, my driver doesn't fly as far, I can't hit driver-wedge on every hole. I didn't move up a tee box or two. I learned to play the course, I learned to hit my longer irons, I learned to pin point my shots. I play a Country Club that double cuts their greens twice a week. And I still hold a USGA 8 handicap. I was never close to a pro, but I never went into the club house and cried about making it fair for me either.

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 9:09 PM

Unfortunately the irons here don't work as they do in real life.  Also, it's just a matter of fairness when you have a tour master hitting from an easier tee than a "legend" with the same equipment.  Plus a lot of the tour master as just as good as the legends, the only difference is the tour masters haven't been members on wgt as long as the legend.  To move someone up to a legend status just because of the ranked rounds they played is just ridiculous.  I can basically finish every round and regardless of my average I will level up anyways.  Legend should be a tier reserved for the absolute best.  There are over 300 legends, that makes no sense, non what so ever.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 9:21 PM

CharlemagneRH:
    I'm starting a second account, gifting it 200 sleeves of golf balls, and then getting this original one deleted.  People will hate me for sandbagging, of course, but I don't make the game...

I get your frustration, but you really don't want to do that - that would be a violation of the T&C and should be pretty easy for WGT to figure it out and ban you.

At this point Amateur's and Pro's don't have access to Master equipment and that current sale only lasts for another week, so they'll have to wait until they get to level 80 or more to buy that equipment.  If they're still Amateur's or Pro's by then, they have bigger problems :-)

As Ironking said, give us a Legend Tier driver that goes 300 yds+ and I like my chances.

Corace, please don't take this the wrong way, but you haven't a clue since you can't even practice from the Championship tees.  Even with the longest driver, it can be impossible to hit many of the par 4's in 2... Just imagine BPB#10 at 508 yds - in calm winds, no one can get there.  All I want is a chance.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 9:26 PM

Mem11:
    I get your frustration, but you really don't want to do that - that would be a violation of the T&C and should be pretty easy for WGT to figure it out and ban you.

At this point Amateur's and Pro's don't have access to Master equipment and that current sale only lasts for another week, so they'll have to wait until they get to level 80 or more to buy that equipment.  If they're still Amateur's or Pro's by then, they have bigger problems :-)

As Ironking said, give us a Legend Tier driver that goes 300 yds+ and I like my chances.

Corace, please don't take this the wrong way, but you haven't a clue since you can't even practice from the Championship tees.  Even with the longest driver, it can be impossible to hit many of the par 4's in 2... Just imagine BPB#10 at 508 yds - in calm winds, no one can get there.  All I want is a chance.

The only legitimate reason that I can come up with for not allowing multiple accounts is to not allow people to enter into tournaments in which they can make money over and over and over again.  I just posted a retirement thread for this account, stating that I will no longer be playing any more RG's, MPC's, etc. on this account, so I don't think banning me would be appropriate at all.

I am merely playing the game that WGT has decided to make, and I don't believe that I can legitimately be blamed for doing that.

RSS