Forums

Help › Forums

THE DAY OF THE WEDGE IS OVER!!!!!!

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 5 2010 5:55 AM (38 replies)
  • ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 3:45 AM

One of the biggest differences I'm seeing now with the new update is how often I don't get to use my wedges.  Wgt has basically taken the wedge for a second shot out of the game.  I'm sure that is going to be the biggest reason why score will now be any where close to where they were.  Hitting Woods, Hybrids, and Low Irons into the green for a second shot is no picnic as they don't stop on the green no where near to how the wedges do.  Then again with the new roll out averages don't matter anyways as long as you keep playing your level will go up.  So basically I can probably have a 75 average and still be a level 100 Legend.....LMAO.....that's definitely not the stuff legends are made up.  WGT it's time to reconsider what defines a legend, it should be a mixture of rounds played and scores in tournament play (eg. ready-go or weekly and monthly tourneys).  

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 4:28 AM

I totally agree. The lob wedges were the clubs that made your score, now they are clubs that save your score. When I say save, I mean from humiliation, lol.

If there are no changes in the coming days and weeks, we'll have a stack of legends who cannot match a tour pros score. As you say, not the stuff legends are made of.

• mickhacker
    31 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 4:35 AM

i was hammering my counterpart or he was just sticking it to me .or it was j ust getting dowie i was kind of cranky but i will have another shot   that is good. it is bad when you are timed out strewth .stone the galars.stuff them dingoes?? hoges is comming home to ( yousa ) if we had a wombat. as a tax man even the the dingoes would go bush

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 4:36 AM

If there are going to have us hit from the Championship tees then they should have  rolled out some new clubs to match.  Maybe a Driver that specs around 285 or 290 that would be more realistic.  The Tri-Master Driver is not that much of a difference than the R9 especially with the meter speed.  I really only use the Tri-Master at STA because of the bigger fairways.  I've had more double boogies the past couple of days than I had in the pass couple of months.  At KW it seems like I'm hitting from 40-50 back then before, now is just not fair.

• stevietwotimes
    1,327 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 4:43 AM

i agree too.

you have less use of the wedges and are using 3 or 4 irons onto green,you have no idea where the ball will end up then 3 putting many times on the new greens.

it is a struggle to save par on many holes so think when your playing against a lesser ranked tier they have a slight advantage.

the wedges are a test of skill which you no longer are able to use very often.is this a WGT boo boo or not ??????

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 4:52 AM

A longer driver is a must to remain competitive but not one with an even faster swing meter. Any advantage in length will be useless if it is harder to hit the ding. I am now going back to my G10 irons from my i15s, the slightest miss hit with a long iron leaves you either missing the green or miles from the pin putting.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 4:55 AM

ironking34:
     WGT it's time to reconsider what defines a legend

A more apropos name for the Legend tier would be the Tiger tier.

Because we can't shoot really low scores anymore either.

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:10 AM

Had my worst game yesterday at STA with the following conditions:  High Wind (most of it into you) Tournament speed greens, playing from the back tees.  Needless to say I had 3 double boogies, 1 triple boogey and shot a 79.  The amazing thing was that 79 was good enough for .53 cents because 22 people withdrew and only 24 people posted scores.  It actually don't even make sense to withdraw (which I was never a big fan of I rarely withdrew) because average means nothing.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:24 AM

tiffer67:
    A longer driver is a must to remain competitive but not one with an even faster swing meter. Any advantage in length will be useless if it is harder to hit the ding. I am now going back to my G10 irons from my i15s, the slightest miss hit with a long iron leaves you either missing the green or miles from the pin putting.

On top of a faster meter speed or lower precision, longer clubs are also harder to hit because if you hit it 3 degrees to the left or to the right, that's 15.7 meters, whereas with a 250 yard drive, it's only 13 meters, and who knows what the wind is going to do to the ball while it's in the air for that much longer.  Hopefully WGT doesn't roll out some 390-400 -yrd drivers that are complete junk.  It'd be nice to see a 395 driver with 4.0 precision, 3.0 forgiveness, and a 6.0 meter speed... not some 2.5 precision, "yeah, but it sure does hit far" piece of junk.

ironking34:
    Had my worst game yesterday at STA with the following conditions:  High Wind (most of it into you) Tournament speed greens, playing from the back tees.  Needless to say I had 3 double boogies, 1 triple boogey and shot a 79.  The amazing thing was that 79 was good enough for .53 cents because 22 people withdrew and only 24 people posted scores.  It actually don't even make sense to withdraw (which I was never a big fan of I rarely withdrew) because average means nothing.

A lot of people like to quit.  In their minds, their average means something.

And I bet the people who were only branded "legends" because they are quitters are really hating themselves right about now.  Can you imagine being a 68-70 avg player before the changes, but sporting a 62 average because you quit half your rounds... and now you're stuck being a legend?  LOL!  Those people are probably shooting 75-80 nowadays, if they haven't quit completely.

As far as the OP goes, the people who were, in the past, using 4 wedges are definitely going to have to drop a wedge.  I think I'll probably continue to use 3 wedges, though, but I do agree that being able to "full swing" your wedges in actual gameplay is quite a bit less common.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:27 AM

remember this is a business model, I think you will see a new driver come along pretty soon!

RSS