Forums

Help › Forums

THE DAY OF THE WEDGE IS OVER!!!!!!

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 5 2010 5:55 AM (38 replies)
  • ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:40 AM

Right now my average is around 64-65 before the upgrade it was 60-62.  I usually played with 3 wedges, driver and wood.  Now I'm going to 2 wedges driver, wood, and hybrid (for those longer shots out of the rough and to bridge the difference between my 3-iron and Wood).  I got off to the rough start yesterday but I'm getting a little bit more comfortable with the tourney greens and longer tees.  In the end as much as we're going to complain WGT is making the game a little bit more realistic because in real golf no one averages as low as they do here.  I think in Tigers best years his average was around a 69.  I think WGT is trying to make it a little more realistic while trying to keep a game aspect also.  

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:45 AM

ironking34:
    Right now my average is around 64-65 before the upgrade it was 60-62.  I usually played with 3 wedges, driver and wood.  Now I'm going to 2 wedges driver, wood, and hybrid (for those longer shots out of the rough and to bridge the difference between my 3-iron and Wood).  I got off to the rough start yesterday but I'm getting a little bit more comfortable with the tourney greens and longer tees.  In the end as much as we're going to complain WGT is making the game a little bit more realistic because in real golf no one averages as low as they do here.  I think in Tigers best years his average was around a 69.  I think WGT is trying to make it a little more realistic while trying to keep a game aspect also. 

I don't really have a problem with any of that.  My problem is the fact that amateurs, pros, and masters, who now tee off from easier tees, can also use the very best clubs in the game.  Can you imagine what you'd be shooting right now if you were hitting off the pro or amateur tees with your master clubs?  Your average would probably be 55-56, even with the tournament greens.  How are we going to compete with that from the championship tees?  Can't be done, I'm afraid.

That is my problem... not that I've lost about 4 points on my "average."  I agree that it's stupid to worry about your average.  The lower your average is, the worse off you are.  People who quit out of rounds to lower their average are hurting and frustrating themselves even more than they are those who have to deal with them quitting in the multiplayer games.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:51 AM

I think part of our only saving grace in the big tournaments is the legends are used to the longer tee's and the faster greens will not be a big deal. Where I am struggling is chipping and pitching. I used to know all the speeds I wanted to hit. Not anymore, have to learn that all over again.

Is it me or is the meter slower? I seem to be able to ding a bit more often.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:55 AM

Sargenjd01:

I think part of our only saving grace in the big tournaments is the legends are used to the longer tee's and the faster greens will not be a big deal. Where I am struggling is chipping and pitching. I used to know all the speeds I wanted to hit. Not anymore, have to learn that all over again.

Yeah, my 64 degree wedge used to pitch 19-19.5 yards (even though it read 17 yards on the meter.)  I think it now pitches something along the lines of 22 or 23 yards on tournament greens.

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 6:02 AM

Just had my second in a row Triple Boogey at STA 17 in ready go play (STA Full 18, the worst conditions on the game right now).....No more STA Full 18 ready go play for me.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 6:35 AM

Sargenjd01:
    Where I am struggling is chipping and pitching. I used to know all the speeds I wanted to hit. Not anymore, have to learn that all over again.

oh man that is so spot on. I had my chipping dialed in over the weeks prior to the update.. Now I'm just guessing again!

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:26 AM

Another thing to add, I notice that it will probably take over a year to get that level meter up, so most likely even if the introduce a new driver you'll probably have to be over level 70 to purchase it.  I'm thinking instead of giving a point to every shot you hit they should give 2 point for birdies and 3 or 4 points for Eagle.  It doesn't make sense that a birdie, eagle, and regular shot carry the same point value.

• riotz0r
    2 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:51 AM

I was thinking the same thing iron. It only make sense to reward you for good play.....

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 8:18 AM

ironking34:
    Another thing to add, I notice that it will probably take over a year to get that level meter up, so most likely even if the introduce a new driver you'll probably have to be over level 70 to purchase it.

Not anymore, unless they change it back to how it was.

Clubs are now available both by level and by tier.  Any legend should be able to buy the legend equipment, no matter what their level is.

It might only be temporary, though?  Who knows.

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 9:44 AM

CharlemagneRH:

Not anymore, unless they change it back to how it was.

Clubs are now available both by level and by tier.  Any legend should be able to buy the legend equipment, no matter what their level is.

It might only be temporary, though?  Who knows.

Sounds good but unfortunately there are no Legend equipments.  The legends are hitting from the championship Tees with the same equipment we had as masters from the masters Tee.  There was no equipment upgrade when they came up with the new tier system.  I was referring to when the new equipment becomes available it would probably take a while to be able to purchase them.  The definitely need a Legends Driver to make up for the loss distance from the championship tee.....

RSS