Forums

Help › Forums

tiger's golf game as of late

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 28 2010 8:50 PM (8 replies)
  • lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 10:25 AM

Is it just me, or is just as fun now to watch tiger play poorly as it used to be to watch him play great?

lol its almost to the point of depressing to watch him play... One bad hole, such as his 7 on the first hole today and you can just tell by looking at him hes ready to go home... That same passion and drive he's so known for is missing...

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 11:54 AM

Personally I think it's said to take pleasure in anyones troubles or strife in life or their career! You might want to re-evaluate how you look at others in this world.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 12:03 PM

Not really Sarge....  Let's look at the most prominent (successful) franchises around, shall we?

How many people HATE the Yankees?  The Dallas Cowboys?  The Lakers? The Celtics?  Manchester United?

The reason passions run so high (either way) is because these teams are successful and relevant.  It is human nature to either jump on the band-wagon or cheer for the underdog.

Such is the case with E. Tont Woods.  You either hate him, or you love him, simply because he is very good at what he does and has been very successful at it.

So, when he struggles one set finds joy... when he doesn't, the other.

That's what SPORTS are all about, Sarge... Just like the ESPN commercial says... "No matter which team you root for, there are just as many rooting against."

It's not personal.

lilrob88:
    Is it just me, or is just as fun now to watch tiger play poorly as it used to be to watch him play great?
    I especially liked the look on his face at Whistling Straits, on Friday I believe... the 30' putt that he thought he nailed, raised his putter with a fist pump starting... and the ball stopped just short of the hole.

Priceless.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 12:46 PM

There is an inherent difference between not liking a TEAM and wanting them to loose or disliking or hating the TEAM than there is in taking pleasure and joy in someone else's misery and pain. Just like all those that got pleasure out of seeing Mickelson choke all those years. I can't stand Mickelson but I got no pleasure out of seeing him fail. Snaike my friend you are a great guy  and have always been kind and honest, but I am afraid on this we might just have to agree to disagree. 

I guess what I am saying is there is a fine line between joy of  your team or player defeating another team than joy or pleasure derived from seeing a human fail.  I don't know maybe I just don't get it anymore. I guess after being a soldier for 22 years I saw enough misery, maybe it's just me!

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 1:23 PM

Always leave it up to someone to completely turn a thread around in a whole new direction....

1st of all: I love tiger.... Think his golf game is amazing... Just very interesting to see this huge turn around

2nd of all: Sarg the last piece of advice you need to be giving me is life advice... Mostly because you dont know me at all. I would dearly appreciate it if you kept sed comments to yourself please... Otherwise please mail them to my secretary who's office can be found in any public porta potty

3rd of all: LOL @ Snaike :) stay classy

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 1:34 PM

never meant to be a personal attack or really even life advice. I just thought it was a sad commentary. Your right I don't know you...........it was a reflection of what I read, you might be a great guy, I just thought your comment was a bit cold. If I offended I am sorry, please accept my humble apologies.

Note to self: Don't write when your in a pissy mood!

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 2:01 PM

Sarge, I can assure you he is a fantastic individual, makes a living off the game also. Hell, he looked at three of my swings in Virginia, gave a tip and bam, I only played half the course LOL.

Damn Snaike, I just hit 700 posts, I need some Midol :)

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 2:04 PM

Thanks Claremoreblue, bad day I guess. I think most know me here well enough to know I try not to offend anyone, as noted I am sorry.....have to agree with the Midol thing today! :-))

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 8:50 PM

Sargenjd01:
    I guess what I am saying is there is a fine line between joy of  your team or player defeating another team than joy or pleasure derived from seeing a human fail.
    I think that we are taking things to a bit of an extreme... and that's where the disagreement lies...

I am not speaking of 'human failure', misery or pain...  but failure inside the ropes, in the context of SPORTS, inside the competition.

Nobody (sane) likes to see others' personal misery, that's just sadistic and wrong.

But to see someone/some team fail in the context of SPORTS is part of the game.  There are rivalries, there are enemies, there are those at the top of the heap that you want knocked off, knocked down a peg or two because they are not YOUR team, or YOUR guy.

Golf has no "team" concept in day to day competition... so there are times when you are rooting against a person.  But that person can be considered a 'team'.

Do I like to see Tiger lose?  Yea, honestly, I do... but not as a human, but as a golfer, simply because I would like to see somebody else win.

In real sports there is a winner and a loser... so it's ok to pull one way for the one you like and the other for the one you don't.

Hope that clarifies it just a bit, Sarge... and, btw... Thank you for your service to our country.

RSS