Forums

Help › Forums

Our Plans for New Tiers and Levels

Wed, Dec 18 2013 1:21 AM (313 replies)
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:51 PM

lvietri:
    No benefit for keeping your scores high "i.e. sandbagging" ... a) you won't win in tournaments and b) you won't get better equipment.

Exactly lvietri.

We also plan to introduce new Experience Levels that will be based on actions you perform on WGT such as completing rounds, hitting shots and interacting with other players. Experience Levels will not be skill-based like Tiers; instead, you will level up as you play and interact on WGT.

At new Levels, players will be able to unlock new virtual items previously unavailable to them. Since this is a new reward system, we’re considering having everyone start at the same place, Level 0.

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:57 PM

Love the new tiers, we've been in need of that for quite some time. However, giving the sandbaggers that much more incentive to cheat (not necessarily cheating, but you know what I mean) just doesn't make sense to me.

What about bagging the whole 'anyone can use any club' idea and just add new tiers (with new default tees and green speeds). This would level the playing field, to a degree, as well as limiting the sandbagging.

Let's face it, the people who spend a lot of time and effort improving their game deserve to win. I do think, however, adding these new tiers would make it slightly more fair.

Just my opinion..

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:03 PM

I understand blues intent but let me ask this, being that the meters are so much faster and the tolerances are much tighter wouldn't you see them getting a lot of trouble with the better clubs?

None taken Richard! :-)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:25 PM

I've read the OP a dozen times, I'm still trying to see where a sandbagger comes out a head with this new idea. Anyone have a practical answer for me.

The way I see it, everyone starts at level 0. Most sandbaggers are in the pro tier, wouldn't they be in a class all by themselves sandbagging for no reason, if they don't complete rounds, hit shots, or interact with other players? Experience levels are not tier based. A sandbagger will actual have to play the game to advance levels. Am I wrong?

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:36 PM

WGTalex:

Please refrain from personal attacks and let's keep this constructive.

Regarding ready-gos, our thinking is that the changes would help level the playing field and reduce score inflation. A player with artificially inflated scores and  good equipment who places well in ready-goes is going to see his average drop to a level more in line with his skills, and find it more difficult to mask their true skill level.

There will always be people who will try to game the system. We plan to have checks and balances built into the system to minimize this.

That's great that you plan to have checks and balances. But do not implement this change before you have done so. If your plan is to release then fix you will do nothing but aide sandbagging. Why put is a system that's only going to improve sandbagging. Basically you will now have 5 new levels of sandbagging and access to the best equipment?

Also the new pro shop direction will not be a fair representation. Equipment should be tier based only. 

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:40 PM

@ Richard - Doesn't the 2nd post of the thread clear it up? Good sandbaggers will be playing 2 sets of tees ahead of legends.

I'll give u an example, take iconian, very good rapture player.  As it is now, give him the best pro gear, the 260 driver and his current irons from the pro tees and he would beat me probably 75-80% of the time.  Give him the same equip as he uses from the masters tees and I'd win 10% of the time. Give a 66 master the same stuff as me from pro tees and he probably wins over half the time.

I don't feel as one of the better players on the game I should be at a disadvantage to any moderately talented player that chooses to sandbag.

• showtime73
    114 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:53 PM

@bo -well said,i agree 100%..i think the 260 driver is enough of an edge..i played some1 yday- had a wedge into island #9..good thing the guy couldn't put

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:53 PM

Richard4168:

I've read the OP a dozen times, I'm still trying to see where a sandbagger comes out a head with this new idea. Anyone have a practical answer for me.

The way I see it, everyone starts at level 0. Most sandbaggers are in the pro tier, wouldn't they be in a class all by themselves sandbagging for no reason, if they don't complete rounds, hit shots, or interact with other players? Experience levels are not tier based. A sandbagger will actual have to play the game to advance levels. Am I wrong?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong Richard, but my take was that the Level and Tier systems are exclusive. Level will have nothing to do with your average or tees. You could have a hack playing with Master wedges say, from a considerable advantage.That seems odd to me if people are playing for credits.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:54 PM

geordieles might be onto something. If the clubs were Tee specific that might change things. A Pro with Master clubs playing from Master tees would be interesting. Maybe even factor that particular performance a little heavier in the ranking. 

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 6:05 PM

BolloxInBruges:

@ Richard - Doesn't the 2nd post of the thread clear it up? Good sandbaggers will be playing 2 sets of tees ahead of legends.

I'll give u an example, take iconian, very good rapture player.  As it is now, give him the best pro gear, the 260 driver and his current irons from the pro tees and he would beat me probably 75-80% of the time.  Give him the same equip as he uses from the masters tees and I'd win 10% of the time. Give a 66 master the same stuff as me from pro tees and he probably wins over half the time.

I don't feel as one of the better players on the game I should be at a disadvantage to any moderately talented player that chooses to sandbag.

I completely agree. This new system rewards the causal player and disadvantages the good. Completely backwards guys. Why should a causal player ever have a chance against a good one. Where the reward for spending the time to learn the game? How is this fair to the good masters? And last who asked for this new direction? Certainly not your loyal established players. 

RSS