Forums

Help › Forums

A Question to Top Tier Masters

Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:53 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 6:26 AM

Recently I have marked my one year anniversary here and feel that I am stuck at my current level and cannot move past my consistent average of 61 -62. Yes, I have my good rounds, great rounds and crappy rounds but tend to average about a 31 on most 9's. 

So, the question is what do I change or do I change? 

Driving....do not think so, good driver, driving accuracy 80%

Irons/wedges.........GIR 78% good with punch, flop, chip (ok) pitch ok.

Putting: I have played around with changing my putting style. I use the intentional late or early method based on break. Distance to the hole I have no problem. I rarely come up short and when I miss I average about 2 -8 inch miss. Often I am just on the edged of the hole left or right because I have over compensated by a fraction.

My question is, do I continue playing the way I have and it will work it's way out or do I do a Tiger and completely change putting styles.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 7:49 AM

Your scrambling % is a bit low, so work on getting up and down better. A good Master hardly ever bogeys.

This is just my personal preference, but I don't intentional miss putts. That's fine for 10' and in, but outside of that it's hard to be consistent with the distance. But ya know, not terribly important, I've seen some make that work.

I would work on the pitching, chipping, sand around the green.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 8:14 AM

I would recommend you playing a couple hundred Match Play rounds. This venue makes you work a little harder and keeps you focused on what the game gives you and how you actually stack up against someone else. While doing this you get to see how different players approach the game which is of great benefit.

One other piece of advice, stay off Kiawah and St, Andrews as those are too easy to score low. Play BPB and Oakmont to really put some pressure on yourself. When you master those two courses you then will have the all around experience to score well on all games in any mode.

Go into mIRC and ask for some games. You will find the best players on this sight with lots of knowledge and game to go with it. It's always good to play the best where ever you can find them. Anytime you come across a player that is better than you by all means have a go at them. It helps to play in pressure situations, then you are very relaxed when it comes to regular stroke play rounds.

If you are on the ladder site, ask Julio or Molidah for a game, those two gentlemen are tough to beat but have great knowledge also. Good luck and happy hitting.

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 9:22 AM

You mentioned driving ok? Is that with the R9? With the tri driver I can average a club less on approach shots, makes a difference

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 9:23 AM

Thanks guys. Yes, my scrambling is a bit low I will agree. Claremon, hate to sound stupid but what is mlrc and I have never played the ladders site, what is the link?

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 10:36 AM

mIRC is a chat room Niv set up for us several years ago that we use to visit. Here is the link for that.

Link to mIRC

Just type in your WGT user name!   http://gamesurge.net/chat/wgt

For the ladder site, just type in ladder in the search box to the right.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 1:26 PM

Ladders

Peace.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 1:56 PM

I am not a Top Tier Master, yet, but from your stats it is hard to tell if that accurately represents you today.  But from what NCVIZ pointed out, you can probably kill 2 birds with one stone working around the green.  Low scrambling should correlate to higher putting average, and yours does.  1.67 putts is good, but for a guy shooting 31's, your score to me is amazing with that many putts per hole.  Look at NCVIZ, 1.37 putts per hole.  VIZ is stroking you almost 1 shot per every 3 holes just on the green, and almost 3 strokes per 9.  The blue Duck is at 1.46putts per hole.  Same story.

Improving your scrambling should improve your putts per hole as well.  Since you are scoring low, I would think the holes you miss the GIR, is where you are picking up that extra stroke every few holes.  So with that being said, practice your up and ins, and make sure your misses on your approach shots leave you a better chance to scramble.

With that being said, I bet you are a lot like me.  You dominate certain holes, but miss the birds on the holes the Top Tier members make, i.e. Kia #4 and #5, St Andrews #13, etc.  So you could also hit practice mode and pound the holes in between rounds that gain you that extra stroke or two per 9.  Use the 10 stroke min to practice the putts to find the spot that is easy to approach to, and most familiar to putt from. 

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 3:43 PM

Thanks Neil and no I am not one of those that is bothered by someone lower offering good advice. You are are correct but I have to wonder how much of my scrambling score is older data, you know what I mean by that?

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 4:25 PM

Play like 15 rounds, 10 9 holes, and 5 18 holes, keep a scoreboard for yourself, and that should give you a nice idea what you need to do.

• PAGES
RSS