Forums

Help › Forums

Biggest Hot Button

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 9 2010 7:36 PM (7 replies)
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 2:36 PM

Yep, after reading the forums for a long time now it's obvious that "Quitters" piss off more people than any other issue.

And everyone seems to want punishment for these low life quitters, many suggesting retaliation just short of death.

I have a confession.  Nobody has ever quit on me.  And I think I know why.  This actually might work for those who are being quit upon.  Whenever I strike up a match with a fellow (stranger) golfer I'm always interested, via chat, in where they live, do they play real golf, where do they play, where have they traveled, their favorite restaurant, what life in their city/country is like.

Within a couple holes you've made a friend.  And friends won't quit on you.

Note:  I do not converse with these folks to keep them from quiting; I converse with them because I'm interested.  I'm guessing a lot of you who are quit upon do the ol' ns, np, thx routine.  That isn't conversation.  Get to know your playing partner... be friendly... tell her WHY that was a nice shot... isn't that why we play in groups? 

Because if your attitude of wanting to win  and grind your opponent into the turf comes through I can't blame them for quitting.  Which just happens to be the attitude I'm sensing in almost all the posts by those who hate quitters.

• PorkyWalrus
    607 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 3:23 PM

snappy banter may help as well. I have my usual phrases for lip outs (lippy lippy dubba dippy) and bad shots (mercy mercy sweet disaster) Especially when you comment with humor at your own bad shots, that may help as well. Maybe?

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:01 AM

Maybe.

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:16 AM

Spot on DMM :)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:20 AM

Hey DMM.... that only works if you're a nice guy to start with...

Some of us are mean, nasty, sarcastic, cynical pessimists...  Friends?! we don't need no stinkin' friends!!!

LOL... kidding of course.  Great points above.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sat, Aug 7 2010 11:00 AM

Of the few multi player rounds I have played I have only had 3 people quit on me. I like DMM try to talk to my playing partners to get to know them and let them get to know me as well. 2 of the people who quit on me we in the same 3some and Although I am not the biggest Tiger Woods fan around now due to his off course antics I did not agree entirely with them that Tiger was a complete Ahole and with in 2 holes they both left. I try to be agreeable with my playing partners, but I am not going to bash anyone no matter who he or she is. The other person who quit on me was and is on my friends list. She at least I am assuming it is a she started making quite a few sexual inuendos and when I only talked about the game and didn't respond to her sexual comments( I am here to play golf and maybe make a few friends) she left.

I joined another players game the day Oakmont became available, shortly before qualifying began. 3 of us started. 1 master( the host )and another pro and I. The other pro and I played quite poorly and the master played very well shooting a 63. Even though myself and the other pro played poorly we finished the entire 18 hole round. Just before the last of us putted out the host thanked us for staying and playing to the end. He said it was refreshing to play an entire round with the same 2 or 3 people who started the round. 

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Sat, Aug 7 2010 11:57 AM

I have been on the site for about a year now and until the other day, I had never finished a round in which I started in a 4some.  I tend to finish 99% of my rounds in multiplayer, only quitting if necessary and then letting the other players know why I have to leave.  I have played many rounds in which we start with 4 and finish with 2.

Most of the peple who tend to quit are generally either pros, trying to get their average up to master level, amateurs who just are bad (don't play with them anymore just set up for masters and pros now) and masters who want to protect their average.   The other day I started in a foursome with 3 pros, we played 9 holes and all finished.  One of the pros had a bad round, about 8 over but to his credit he stuck it out.

That is how it should be, if you are playing badly stick it out, you can enjoy the play without being 6 under par.

• Todibus
    105 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 7:36 PM

I don't mind if people quit - as long as they say they are going to!  I just think it's plain rude to disconnect without a word.

RSS