Forums

Help › Forums

Cheats/Fraud et al

Sun, Nov 17 2013 11:41 AM (186 replies)
  • MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:40 PM

Bellabluesilver:

know what the wind does, know what elevation will do to your ball on landing, know what side of the hole to land the ball.

Aparently some of us know this on their first day.  Amazing.

WGTdbloshoe:

How about this.... I want a response from cheaters on why they cheat!  So please every cheater, multi account holder, and auto ding user please tell us why you do and provide a undoctored screen shot.

Well, your request was at least partly fulfilled.

• Covenant
    1,498 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:46 PM

Funny thing really is that we as players, as members of WGT, are the main problem that wgt seems unreluctant to take real measures against cheating and double accounts.

We are flipping addicted to the game. A lot of us cant wait to get our dailty virtual golfshot, even if it annoys the crap out of us :)

Its a nice game to play and you really cant say its the same every day,probably because of what we call VEM. And so you say in your head, or out loud WTF, when a ball goes completely against all you calculated. And you pick that up and play your next shot, dont you?

Well, not all of course, some do a withdrawal when in tournaments, or quit the game, which leads to the next item or complaint on quitters. But heck, thats just a human response, however not so much in the gentlemens world of golf. Did not Mcilroy raise eyebrows some time ago to step out of a tournament.

We are junks, big time and for that we offer money to our dealer, our provider, but if we can get an easier way to get that money and sustain our addiction, we could easily go for that. Cheating is an easier way for that, so if we step over our fairplay conscience we use cheating programs.

Can Wgt do anything about it? I am convinced they can, absolutely. If you can make such a magnificent game, you also can detect when something is intruding that same game.

Will they do anything about it? Dont think so, because very simply it would influence their income greatly and for now the players giving up because they feel cheated dont seem to outweigh the income and new entries they still get every day again.

And finally: where people play, they chest, its a human thing, sadly

• dougsda
    153 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:58 PM

wgt just show the ding for every one, that's stops 80% of all this! or meter then we all see a real game of golf if i'm out with my bud's and they pull a shot . alot of times all of us can tell him what he did wrong in his swing. i think it would make the game great fun when some one misses the ding and can't blame wgt then they would have to say i had two many beer's ffs. it would make the game fun again still don't stop cheating in single play but hell it's a start.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:58 PM

I think the problem for WGT is that there are basically two types of cheat.  The auto-dinger and the multi-accounter.

There may be a way to detect an auto-ding program running when someone is playing a round, I honestly don't have the technical knowledge to say if this is possible.  The other option would be a meter that isn't the same speed for it's whole length, kinda like the R9 SuperTri which always seemed to speed up towards the ding line.  This is going to put a lot of players off the game though as such a meter is bloody tricky to use well.   If we assume VEM has been cranked up a bit lately then I can only assume it's to try to combat players using auto-clickers.  Shame it screws the honest player who's good at hitting the ding though.

As far as I can see there's no way to combat the multi's, WGT even allows you to start a new account, taking all your knowledge and hard learned skill to the pro shop where you can scoff a few level boost bars, head to the hack tees and tee off against players who have little idea what they're doing and way inferior gear.  Hardly fair but aparently deemed acceptable by WGT.   Fighting these players is where we, the community, come in.   There are plenty of indications when somebody starts over as a hack and plenty of people to notice suspicious activity. 

It's time starting over with a new account was banned.  What good reason can there be to do it?  Can't cope playing from the legend tees?   Tourney greens a bit too speedy?   These are the challenges the game presents and overcoming them is what makes this game great.  Quitting and going back to being a hack is just pathetic.

So endeth my ramble, not exactly the most coherent speach I've ever made but I haven't had a coffee yet so I'm not firing on all cylinders.

And apologies to the WGT powers that be if it appears I'm overly sceptical of you.  I'm not, I appreciate how hard it must be to deal with cheats and don't expect a wand to be waved and everything to be perfect.   I still think this is a great game, by far the best thing I've found online. 

I just hope it continues to be so.

• pb1711
    1,183 Posts
    Sat, Mar 30 2013 12:02 AM

I play on a chess  website too(yes, I need to get a life, I know), and every 30 minutes or so a system message comes up in chat saying so & so has been banned for cheating. They simply have programs that analyse games and can tell if the rating and game played match. They look at the moves made and can tell if is was a "human" move.

Surely WGT can invest some money into developing something similar? As Donko already said, a big step forward, would be to start with ding %, even if it's not shown  publicly, at least have it sent to you guys so that any suspicious ding averages could be looked at.

The program, could also look at a players 1st rounds. I'm all for tiering up quickly and have no problem with it, but no one shoots a sub par round on their 1st time out. Surely that should raise a little red flag,  prompting  WGT  to contact the player to ask why he has decided to restart an account? If the player has a valid reason, then implement things like no MPC's, RG's etc, until the previous tier was reached, (Or something like that).

Anyway, I know these ideas and others like them have been suggested to death, I think it's about time WGT starts actually doing something about it. For our sake, and yours, if this continues, people will leave.

• Rzbk
    376 Posts
    Sat, Mar 30 2013 12:08 AM

I must agree 100% with lonnie. His words were my exact thoughts and I'm glad at least someone sees this. 

I don't know that I have ever played a cheater. But I do know that nearly every time I play, I am cheated. I play about 1/2 of a 9 hole rd on any given day because that's how I handle this cheat. 

When I have no idea if any shot will even come close to what I'm planning, it's no longer fun. When a 23 mph wind blowing right up your back and you ding a 115 yd. club and the ball goes 87 yd. and ker-ploppps, it's no longer fun.

When I'm putting 4 feet with a 2"  rise on the 10 foot scale and the ball rolls 37 feet past the hole and uphill the whole way, it's no longer fun.

And it goes on and on and on and on.

I don't get mad, I don't *** in the forums any more. And I don't play against another person so I hurt no one. I simply leave the game and log out. I'm finished for the day.

I also don't use many hits on the ball, I don't move my XP enough to have to invest in new clubs. 

I simply don't care anymore.

Say what you want. Defend them however you want.

I simply don't care anymore.

But this fact remains.

wgt is by far the most greed driven business I've ever seen and will stop at nothing to fleece every nickel they can.

lonnie, IMO you are correct. People cheat because wgt  cheats. 

• Covenant
    1,498 Posts
    Sat, Mar 30 2013 12:27 AM

I forgot something in my last reply. After could and will, there is the question of should WGT doing something about it and the answer is plain yes, because its a growing stain on their product and which manufacturer would let that happen and even grow?

• neiltp
    41 Posts
    Sat, Mar 30 2013 12:48 AM

It all seems very simple really, show the opponents meter or show a ding percentage

that will filter out the cheaters

cheers neil

• Funkyjunkie3000
    722 Posts
    Sat, Mar 30 2013 1:18 AM

couldnt we all sign a new terms and conditions agreement allowing WGT to randomly scan our processes, and look for any known wgt cheat software......just a idea dont know if its possible

• Ecka65
    245 Posts
    Sat, Mar 30 2013 1:34 AM

So, lets sum up shall we:

• "Staying ahead of cheaters is a big deal for WGT but it won't happen overnight"

They've been cheating since 2011 so perhaps that should read "over 730 nights".

• Don't play for credits - check

There goes all the tournaments and ready go's.

• Don't play against someone until you've forensically analysed them - check

There goes matchplay and skins.

Mmmm, so play Alt shot with others and practice strokeplay by yourself......I think there's a word for that last option.....

Outstanding WGT!  Now this sounds like a game worth investing time and money into!  Let's get some more $30 clubs!  LOL  Terminate my account immediately.

RSS