Forums

Help › Forums

New Players (and not so new) - The most under-utilized shot - The Punch

Wed, Dec 30 2015 11:03 AM (57 replies)
  • Naugahyde
    92 Posts
    Thu, Jan 8 2015 1:08 PM

Wow! The punch shot really does put extra clubs in your bag. In trouble, and out in the fairway, too.

I have also greatly benefited from Steve2golf's advice on wedge shots at 24-42 yards out. I'm assuming that this works best when you have a good fairway lie.

How does the strategy for this shot change when the lie is less than good, for example, 20% or  25 % or 40%? Is there a rule of thumb? Thanks much!

Naugahyde

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sat, Jan 10 2015 9:43 PM

From rough you need to add some additional stroke strength (yardage) and expect more run after the ball lands.

How much the rough effects your shot will vary by the depth of the rough and which club you use.

The deeper the rough is and the longer the club you use the more rough will effect the shot.

With a 64° wedge and 20% rough there is little effect from the rough.  With a 3 iron I add 7% of the yardage of the shot with 20% rough and expect 50% more roll on landing.

With 30% rough and a short club I add 15% of the yardage and with a long iron will add 20% and expect even more roll. When the rough is 40% it gets even more uncertain. For short clubs I add 20% and with long clubs the extra, extra roll brings fairway and green undulations into play big time.

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Sat, Jan 10 2015 10:27 PM

great thread

• Naugahyde
    92 Posts
    Sun, Jan 11 2015 2:39 AM

Thank you very much, ApexPC.

• JZeman17
    254 Posts
    Sun, Jan 11 2015 7:50 AM

Very educational and perfect timing for improving aspects of my game.  This is what forums should really be about. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 20 2015 11:34 AM

JZeman17:

Very educational and perfect timing for improving aspects of my game.  This is what forums should really be about. 

I agree JZ and if you are willing to use the search function - there is a ton of great hints, tips and advice awaiting the inquisitive.

I played this game for some time before even noticing the forums and plodded away with starters clubs and had no idea what I was doing or how to improve. I joined a CC after a year and one player there gave me some time and tips - this singlehandedly improved my game and my enjoyment. Therefore I try to help newer players when I get the time.

• Naugahyde
    92 Posts
    Wed, Jan 21 2015 12:51 PM

alanti,

I am one of the players that you have helped, and it has made a big difference in my game. Thank you for making the punch shot, the importance of a 3rd wedge, and the advice in these forums part of my improvement process.

I appreciate your example. Take care!  Naug

• AshleyHelton
    11 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 1:50 PM

Punch shots are vital. I never ever use anything but a punch shot when my lie is worse than 30%-40%. 

• Naugahyde
    92 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 2:30 PM

You're absolutely right. I just wish I'd known that 3 years ago. ;)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 1:32 AM

AshleyHelton:

Punch shots are vital. I never ever use anything but a punch shot when my lie is worse than 30%-40%. 

There are exceptions - with higher level clubs you can hit full shots in 30-40% rough, Whilst you lose distance they are higher in trajectory - vital if you are playing over a bunker or water.

With lower level clubs I agree, punch is the best option, Again the priority is get the ball back in play and rule out the miracle shot - they seldom work! Course management!

RSS