Forums

Help › Forums

New Players (and not so new) - The most under-utilized shot - The Punch

Wed, Dec 30 2015 11:03 AM (57 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 4:50 PM

I played WGT for a long time before I realised the benefit of the punch shot. The only time I would use it was if I was in the deep stuff (which incidently is a good choice to get the ball back onto the fairway) but many players only use it for these circumstances,

But the punch shot can be used for a multitude of situations, Using this option expands your bag way beyond the 14 clubs you have in your bag. I use the punch for approach shots from the fairway and rough, bunker shots and even around the green.

Obviously various factors come into play for each shot, wind, lie. pin placement and distance amongst them and this is where your course management comes to the fore.

As an approach shot, especially with your wedges it makes dialing in the yardage easier than chocking down on a full shot. The effect of wind is lessened using a punch rather than a full shot due to a lower trajectory. What you need to be wary of is the ball, even with full backspin, will often run on when aproaching an elevated green (Oly 18 springs to mind) where the pin is short.

One of the keys to any approach is to know the greens and where to approach to, I would rather have a 15 foot straight or uphill putt than a  6 foot, 3 inch downhill breaking putt. but often the punch to the green is a great choice,

You can even punch the driver from the tee is an option  (par 3s RSG) depending on the wind and a 3W punch from rough (depending on the lie - always think percentages) can be a great recovery shot. Also a great option for those 40% lies in bunkers so I hope you can see the versatility of this shot.

I have steered clear of yardages as everyones clubs are different but would recommend that next time you are out on the course (or preferably in practice mode) you try this shot and take notes of the results and factors. Yes it will be trial and error to begin with, but it will pay dividends.in the long term.

The first time I used the punch from a fairway I was at Masters Tier playing a Legend (now a TL) in a friendly match - I fluffed a chocked full shot and my friend asked what did I do and he replied a full punch would have had me on and close. I tried it a couple of holes later and viola, I now had a new repertoire in my arsenal

I hope that many of the top players and experienced players contribute to this thread which will help all players and future players coming through the ranks. I have got the ball rolling................................

• TNP56
    510 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 6:54 PM

Real good post

• wbrinston
    108 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 7:10 PM

Very good info Thank You!

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 7:13 PM

Sidewind ------- Lineup the side of the aimbox with the flag from the golfers point of view for a 5mph wind, double it for 10 etc.....

Swingmate:

Download here

See below line one is the distance you aim, line 2 is where you select the putter scale, line 3 will open an options menu where you can select green speed and set your distances etc.....

An amazing program IMHO.

• brhthecarpenter
    333 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 7:16 PM

i agree totally,the punch shot has saved my *** more than i can count.

very good post and advice.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 8:39 PM

Punch is a fav shot of mine.

It's reflexively 3 more wedges.

and any shot that gives me a punch distance closer than a full distance is also used, mainly under 150y.

A 3W punch out of the rough is also a go to.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 9:05 PM

Steve2golf:

Sidewind ------- Lineup the side of the aimbox with the flag from the golfers point of view for a 5mph wind, double it for 10 etc.....

Swingmate:

Download here

See below line one is the distance you aim, line 2 is where you select the putter scale, line 3 will open an options menu where you can select green speed and set your distances etc.....

An amazing program IMHO.

What is the difference between using that program and cheating? I'm confused.

• Bellabluesilver
    60 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 9:16 PM

It doesn't effect WGT its just a fancy calculator/ruler ? 

• dario2589
    202 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 9:32 PM

PaulTon:

Steve2golf:

Swingmate:

Download here

An amazing program IMHO.

What is the difference between using that program and cheating? I'm confused.

Using some tipe of ruler over the screen do the same thing and theres no way to stop who want to use it...

• Bellabluesilver
    60 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 9:33 PM

When putting always miss the ding its likely to miss on so if its breaking left miss the ding right etc.

RSS