Forums

Help › Forums

New Players (and not so new) - The most under-utilized shot - The Punch

Wed, Dec 30 2015 11:03 AM (57 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 10:25 PM

This thing has inputs for distance, club length,  wind and green speeds, That's a bit more than a ruler.Doesn't seem right to me. I couldn't use a thing like that, it would feel like cheating.

• foregettaboutit
    227 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:11 AM

PaulTon:

This thing has inputs for distance, club length,  wind and green speeds, That's a bit more than a ruler.Doesn't seem right to me. I couldn't use a thing like that, it would feel like cheating.

+1

i guess i'm just a purist. To be using a program that has all the bells and whistles takes away from the strategy and thought that a player should be using to navigate their way around the course, imo. Not for me, but to each his own.

Fore

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:14 AM

PaulTon:

Swingmate has been discussed a 1000 times before, do you really feel it necessary to go down that road yet again. This is supposed to be a positive give tips thread.

And i used to have all this crap taped to my monitor, now it's a simple screen overlay with all the same information.

Perhaps you can contribute something positive to the thread?

• foregettaboutit
    227 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:19 AM

As far as punch shots go, they are an invaluable part of my game now. I use punch primarily with my wedges when the distance calls for it.

For example, i have 3 wedges at 100, 75, and 50 yds. The punch rating on those clubs are 83, 62, and 41yds so if i have a shot that i need to hit 80 yds (after i have factored in any elevation changes and wind) i will use my 83yd punch and hit with a little less than full power.. exc.. 

The amount of spin i use on punch shots varies depending on the wind direction, wind strength, green speed, and green slope. Different clubs and ball combinations will require different amounts of spin, so practice is the key..

When it comes to distance control i find that hitting at, or as close to, 100% of the power for that club will help to hit the intended distance. So i would rather hit a punch shot at, or close to, 100% power, instead of a "full" shot at  approximately 80% power.

Fore

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:25 AM

Don't forget the PW to (if not already been done and I missed it). Mine is rated at 125 yards, and punched it's a very useful 108 yards.....adding or reducing spin it also becomes a very flexible scoring wedge!

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:45 AM

A tip I received from a TL is to apply top spin to rough rescue punches. Make sure that the ball finds FW, and it will roll "forever" - only 10-20% reduced length from 40+ rough!

Applies to long clubs, too, at least up to the rescue club. Take care of the FW slope :)

• drumstick66
    156 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 3:02 AM

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 3:47 AM

Wedge Tip

This is a shot I have found most deadly and easy to execute with my 60 yard wedge. The partial power full shot. Most useful for 24-42 yards

Break your meter to into 10 increments, so 100% would be 60 yards, 90% would be 54, 80% would be 48, etc etc.

Suppose you are faced with a 32 yard shot. I apply a plus 6 rule, hit 38 yards of power or 65% , (32 + 6) with FBS, this is the only time the HL 60 Clvds will allow a FBS shot, but watch it stop dead at 32 yards. This works with every wedge, but may not stop dead for other wedges.

Word of advice, never go less then 50% or use it for less than a 24 yard shot.

And with the HL 60 Clvd the FBS will not go crazy a$$ bs until after 80% of power. Giving you within 1 yard of accuracy and extreme forgiveness for 24 - 42 yards.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 3:53 AM

Steve2golf:

Wedge Tip

This is a shot I have found most deadly and easy to execute with my 60 yard wedge. The partial power full shot. Most useful for 24-42 yards

Break your meter to into 10 increments, so 100% would be 60 yards, 90% would be 54, 80% would be 48, etc etc.

Suppose you are faced with a 32 yard shot. I apply a plus 6 rule, hit 38 yards of power or 65% , (32 + 6) with FBS, this is the only time the HL 60 Clvds will allow a FBS shot, but watch it stop dead at 32 yards. This works with every wedge, but may not stop dead for other wedges.

Word of advice, never go less then 50% or use it for less than a 24 yard shot.

And with the HL 60 Clvd the FBS will not go crazy a$ bs until after 80% of power. Giving you within 1 yard of accuracy and extreme forgiveness for 24 - 42 yards.

THAT is useful - THANKS!

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 6:01 AM

Playing Wack FCK; (It's when you wack the ball and say FCK)

Slow down a little, have a plan. if you are standing up and wailing away inside of 15 seconds, you are asking for trouble.

Information is still being sent to and from the game server, club info, aim, spin etc and if you hit the shot before all this activity has finished, the shot will be executed with what information the server has presently.

Sound familiar, "aim started out at flag, where was the spin, just hit my wedge 135 yards, etc etc.

The very first thing I do in order, club, spin, reverse view, aim, return view, practice swing, shoot.

Slow down, have fun, it's not a race.

I'm not suggesting you need the full 90 seconds either, but depending on your current setup, 30-45 should suffice.

RSS