Forums

Help › Forums

New Players (and not so new) - The most under-utilized shot - The Punch

Wed, Dec 30 2015 11:03 AM (57 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 6:41 AM

Steve2golf:
    Swingmate has been discussed a 1000 times before, do you really feel it necessary to go down that road yet again. This is supposed to be a positive give tips thread.

I guess Swingmate was flying under my radar.  Your post was the 1st I've heard about it.  I searched for "Swingmate" and found one small discussion of it.

To preclude any "cheat" discussions, WGT needs to check out Swingmate, as it has done on other "aids", and give it their thumbs up/down.

This thread will be a challenge to moderate and keep it on a positive note.

Your mileage may vary.  Keep in mind a tip that works for one person might not work for you.    So no need to pooh-pooh the tip or challenge it.

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 7:56 AM

andyson:

Steve2golf:
    Swingmate has been discussed a 1000 times before, do you really feel it necessary to go down that road yet again. This is supposed to be a positive give tips thread.

I guess Swingmate was flying under my radar.  Your post was the 1st I've heard about it.  I searched for "Swingmate" and found one small discussion of it.

To preclude any "cheat" discussions, WGT needs to check out Swingmate, as it has done on other "aids", and give it their thumbs up/down.

This thread will be a challenge to moderate and keep it on a positive note.

Your mileage may vary.  Keep in mind a tip that works for one person might not work for you.    So no need to pooh-pooh the tip or challenge it.

Strange how I found more, however if it's cheating so is putter pal, excel charts, tape, sticky notes, Bilcos wind and putter program, rulers etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Man you are something else. Try this

Strange how you attack this and not this, or this, or this, or this. i could go on for more than 1000 times, but that's enough.

If it gets banned by WGT, then I will remove it and go back to the $hite stuck all over my monitor.

But you know what, it wont get banned, because it is not an aid, its a calculator, it's useless for calculating the wind by the way, Bilko's is far better. It's a great putter pal though.

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 8:14 AM

OUTSTANDING thread going here on helpful information that can be used by anyone with a bit of practice.  I see the punch shot as a great tool but admittedly I have only used it for trouble shots mostly while a very good friend or two use it consistently with great results.  A couple of my very good friends from Kentucky use it all the time and have since I have known them.  I just need to work on it a bit more to get into that comfort zone on the yardages and I can guarantee you I will use it a lot more.

Outstanding stuff here guys.  No need for the bantering here just good helpful information.

Leo

• givemeabreak1
    26 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:02 AM

This is a helpful thread,like dbloshoe suggested a thread to help. I read in a forum about the punch shot been using for about a couple months now great when caught between clubs. About the SWING MATE i go back and forth with it most the time i do better with out it. It is a good putter pal on long putts and its FREE.

Now if someone could help me read the breaks better that would be helpful.

Thanks give me a break

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:12 AM

Steve2golf:

...........Perhaps you can contribute something positive to the thread?

Steve2golf:

Strange how I found more, however if it's cheating so is putter pal, excel charts, tape, sticky notes, Bilcos wind and putter program, rulers etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Man you are something else. Try this

Strange how you attack this and not this, or this, or this, or this. i could go on for more than 1000 times, but that's enough.

Way to keep things positive Steve!

Only one of your links refers to Swingmate specifically.  All the other 999 discuss other aids. Which have all be scrutinized.

My suggestion, which I feel is a positive contribution, was for WGT to check out Swingmate and confirm, as the reigning authority, it is legal.

Simple, not an attack, no need for you to get your panties in a wad.

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:24 AM

Thank you to everyone for getting this thread back on track!

- WGTdbloshoe

• Bellabluesilver
    60 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:30 AM

oh the +6 rule is brilliant thanks Steve I always struggle with those distances.

I Got a Tip for the Flop shot never go for the ding go for the line left of it.  

Thats the ding for a flop shot, hit that it goes straight

• rmchangin
    1,327 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:35 AM

I find the Punch very  useful around the green from 50 yds to 25 yds  once you learn the backspin with the clevelands you can be right down deadly...one more tip if you can deal with a little faster meter use sirxons or Legend G12 balls more forgiving with back spin and putt's the best for me..Greg

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:04 AM

Not sure if this is a game tip per se but I want to mention course notes.

For the longest time, I simply played to attack the pin at all times, this is a prefectly good strategy if you can be assured of dinging it everytime, however, as alot of us miss ding against the wind, I have now made notes for each hole on each course, specifically approach shots and where is the best place to be for the easiest birdie putt (preferably uphill). Should I err long/left/right or is short better etc

I have smaller side notes as to which approaches play longer or shorter, I have taken it one step further and noted what club I have hit from specific yardages in certain winds and what the result was for future reference.

I have ranked each hole out of 10 too which enables me at a glance to know if I am capable of shooting a decent score before I even start. Knowing that at back 9 RSG, all things being equal I can shoot 26/27 is a great confidence booster before you even tee off. (I achieved a 26 earlier today) Although I must add it was my first really HOT round in quite a while.

Another important tip I can offer is regarding elevation, most folks subscribe to the theory that for every 3ft uphill = 1 yard, I find that accurate from 3i-7i, as the clubs loft increases I calculate less, 65% of  elevation for 8i-Pw and only use 20% of the elevation for wedges.

eg. 15ft uphill with a 4i is 5 yards to add but only 3.25 (65%) yards with a 9i and only 1 yard (20%) with a wedge, I might add 2 yards if I expect some backspin.

Downhill I simply use 75% of the elevation for all my clubs, a little less if I have a gentle tailwind and alot less if I have a heavy tailwind.

Alot of the elevation tips mentioned above WILL vary for most club/ball combo's but with high trajectory irons, they are fairly accurate (I haven't taken into account holes that play longer/shorter, these you will mostly all already know).

Just my little contribution, it works for me and I hope it works for all of you :-)

• Bellabluesilver
    60 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 12:49 PM

oo i got a few course tips too, Beth page 15 the evil hole, after taking the wind into consideration add 13 yards and aim left edge of green the ball should come back to the pin.

and STA hole 2 left pin position take off 8 yards from your shot so it lands on the hill and feeds to the hole or it will go 40 foot past :)

RSS