Forums

Help › Forums

Latest Feature Requests - Proposal for WGTIcon and WGT

Sun, Apr 19 2020 7:21 PM (623 replies)
  • ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 9:50 AM
    Okay, as I said, I was not certain of the rule on a limit to the number of balls a pro golfer can carry during a tournament. As you said, there is no limit, which is correct. But, here is where the problem lies, and why WGT is, in my opinion and others as well, wrong in their application of this particular rule. The following is from the USGA.

"While there is no limit on the total number of balls that a player is allowed to bring onto the course with them, there are still restrictions on the number of brands and styles of ball that a golfer may use. Golfers are not permitted to use two different styles of balls in one round, meaning the ball a golfer tees off with on the first hole must be the same type of ball that is used in every stroke. This prevents players from using balls geared toward distance on long holes, and high-spin balls on short holes."

So, this means a golfer can't switch back and forth between balls with different compression that would work better on the different holes on a course. Makes perfect sense. However, we are not talking about being allowed to switch balls depending on the hole. The issue is being forced to spend money or risk having to switch to using a ball, mid-round, that has a swing meter that is 2-4 times as fast as any number of other balls the player has purchased, and has in their bag.

What is wrong, or beneficial for a player, to lose their last +71 Nike with 4 spin & 5 distance, and have it replaced, by default, with the next highest level ball in their bag? For example, I have 13 balls that have either a 3.0 or 3.5 swing meter rating, most of which I have only 1 left of. Is it more fair to the players of WGT, who have spent plenty of money at WGT, to let them continue play with a ball with the same, or very close to the same, meter rating, or to make them use a ball with a rating of 0?

Personally, I'd prefer to take a DQ. I disqualified myself in the round I have mentioned here anyway because I knew my chance at placing high was all but gone anyway.

andyson:
    Use of only one ball type is decided by the tournament committee.  Which in this case is WGT.

And, if this is the case, then WGT breaks its own rule every day. The real question is, is WGT willing to take another look at this decision and then explain to WGT players why they consider this to be the proper way to handle it? I should add that I do not think we should be allowed to switch balls according to the hole we are playing. Only to allow the game to place a purchased ball in play by default, if a player loses the last exact type of a ball they entered the round with. There could even be a provision that, if a player has the credits at that time to buy another sleeve, they either do so or play with a starter ball.

The way it is now, we are, essentially, buying a sleeve of 2 balls instead of 3. After all, it does take time to find the ball right for you in the 1st place. One other possible solution is to allow a player to replace a last ball with one of their choice, if they own a WGT bag. I'm not advocating for WGT to make less money, only to allow its players to save a little of theirs, which will get spent on the balls soon enough anyway.
  • Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 6:38 PM

ShadyShank:

And, if this is the case, then WGT breaks its own rule every day. The real question is, is WGT willing to take another look at this decision and then explain to WGT players why they consider this to be the proper way to handle it?

1. Because they can.

2. No they're not. Despite this idea being raised 2 or 3 times a week since the game began it has NEVER even been commented on by anyone of an official status. The implication is clear, they aren't willing to change.

For me I'd take it further (mainly because I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing it), i.e. I wouldn't allow the starter ball, you finish your round with the type of ball you started with or are DQd, although even  I would relax the 'one ball rule' for practice.

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 8:13 PM

ShadyShank:
    Please, whatever needs to be done to put your next best ball into play when you run out of the one you are using, please just do it. It can not be difficult from a programming, software, or getting approval standpoint.

Of course it can be done but it's not just an easy task to implement this, certainly more work than switching players to the default ball. I do agree with you that it's a good idea but programming is just a small reason they won't go there.

WGT want players to spend money, more specifically spend money by stocking up on balls. Players planning ahead (so they don't end up using the default ball) will buy 2 sleeves of balls instead of 1 and top up each time they go down to 1. This means players get to play the balls they want and WGT makes more money.

Much easier for programming to have a little message pop-up telling players they are down to the last ball than make the changes you're suggesting and make less in ball sales.

ShadyShank:
    I was just 5 under at the turn in the Glenmorangie Cup

ShadyShank:
    Oh, the starter ball and it's lightening fast meter I hadn't seen in months, ended up OB next shot so I'm hitting 5 from 240 out and there goes my round.

The other option of course is you could master playing with that ball. I've never bought a ball from WGT for myself since I started playing the game and almost always use the starter ball. I shot a -6 on that tournament and that was messing up the birdie on 2 or 3 holes. 

IMHO truly good players can play well with good clubs and bad clubs, good balls and bad balls, even lies and uneven lies. Judgement and precision are critical and practice goes a long way.

• alexk345
    1,148 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 10:24 AM

1. I think if we have access to notes in multi player game , it will be good. I bought notes 6 month ago and never even typed because i never play solo. Its wasted money. Why not give access for 90 sec so i can type in notepad and paste on it. 

2. Can i able to join any Tour Legend game ( alt , blitz , skin , stroke play). Idea here is i wanted to play champ green always , at present i waste lot of time join and cancel until i see TL.

3. Stroke play game with 50 credit min. That way people playing can pay off for the ball. Like i do in match play.  Selection dialog can have two tabs , credit , normal. under credit all game types are for credits.

4. Able to whisper players who is online to be ready for next game 15 min etc.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:19 PM

PRStevenson:

The other option of course is you could master playing with that ball. I've never bought a ball from WGT for myself since I started playing the game and almost always use the starter ball. I shot a -6 on that tournament and that was messing up the birdie on 2 or 3 holes. 

Members could also realize the significance of the round they're about to start and take stock of their GB's before they tee off. If they're on the last one of the kind they prefer to play, they could always take the personal responsibility of buying more before the round begins. The theme is taking responsibility for oneself. The rest is excuse making.

One other thing, I'm a proponent if the idea of DQ'ing anyone who runs out of the ball they started a ranked round with. Wouldn't take long to smarten up after a couple of DQ's.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 2:42 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    One other thing, I'm a proponent if the idea of DQ'ing anyone who runs out of the ball they started a ranked round with. Wouldn't take long to smarten up after a couple of DQ's.

I am with CD and John on this - we have the one ball rule - so there should be no exception.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 4:53 AM

ShadyShank:

that has a swing meter that is 2-4 times as fast as any number of other balls the player has purchased, and has in their bag.

Those other balls aren't in your bag.

ShadyShank:

What is wrong, or beneficial for a player, to lose their last +71 Nike with 4 spin & 5 distance, and have it replaced, by default, with the next highest level ball in their bag?

You have no other balls in your bag.

ShadyShank:

The way it is now, we are, essentially, buying a sleeve of 2 balls instead of 3. After all, it does take time to find the ball right for you in the 1st place. One other possible solution is to allow a player to replace a last ball with one of their choice, if they own a WGT bag.

Guess what?  Even if you have bought a bag, it still only contains one type of ball.

I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this.  When you go to the first tee you have one type of ball in your bag.  One.

WGT are very nice and send a cart girl/guy with a bucket of free balls if you should lose the last of those balls you have in your bag.  What they won't do is break into your locker and get some of the other balls you have there.

Disqualification would be far easier.  Please WGT, just do it.  Run out of balls?  Bye bye.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 4:56 AM

MainzMan:
    Please WGT, just do it.  Run out of balls?  Bye bye.

+1 LOL

Something so simple gets so misunderstood.  It's quite hard to run out anyway..ENOUGH LOL

• alexk345
    1,148 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 6:18 PM

WGT XXX with nude cart girls,. :)

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 2:26 AM

I agree with the "enough" comment, but I want to make it clear that I also said I would rather be DQ'd. I'm going to say 2 last things on this and I'll drop it.

1. It is not about personal responsibility, it's about money, and here is where my personal problem lies. I have to get credits with one of those cards you load with cash because American's can no longer spend their own money in many places they once could. So, often when I am down to my last ball, except for the other balls I have just one of, I don't have enough credits to buy another sleeve and can't load the card because the stores that load them are closed.

2. What about the other balls a player has, even if they aren't "in their bag", that have the exact same rating's as the last of the other ball? I have several that are rated exactly the same on spin, distance, "durability", and swing meter speed. If anyone can tell me why I shouldn't be able to use one of those balls instead of the starter, I will truly shut it forever on the topic.

Oh, and one more thing. I keep seeing people say things like, it's not the ball or equipment, it's the player. Well, I'm sorry but it IS the equipment when you get to a certain level. I'm not even at that level yet, but if I used starter equipment and balls the entire time, I wouldn't even be at the Master Tier yet, and this I am quite sure of. But, I'd be real good with that starter stuff, and this is also true. Go tell Tiger equipment and balls have nothing to do with his score on a given course, because I'm betting you'd get an answer that would surprise you. Equipment and balls are a portion of what adds up to a great score in golf.

RSS