Latest Feature Requests - Proposal for WGTIcon and WGT

Sun, Apr 19 2020 7:21 PM (623 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 4:44 AM

ShadyShank:
    balls

ShadyShank:
    I have several that are rated exactly the same on spin, distance, "durability", and swing meter speed.

Which ones?

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 6:25 AM

ShadyShank:
    I have several that are rated exactly the same on spin, distance, "durability", and swing meter speed. If anyone can tell me why I shouldn't be able to use one of those balls instead of the starter, I will truly shut it forever on the topic.

Why do you assume balls rated exactly the same perform exactly the same? 

There is already empirical evidence that two different balls with the same durability rating do not provide the exact same number of hits.

It follows that two different balls with equal distance, or spin, or meter ratings will not perform exactly the same.

It is illogical to assume they will perform exactly the same.

• alexk345
    1,148 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 11:38 PM

1. I think if we have access to notes in multi player game , it will be good. I bought notes 6 month ago and never even typed because i never play solo. Its wasted money. Why not give access for 90 sec so i can type in notepad and paste on it. 

2. Can i able to join any Tour Legend game ( alt , blitz , skin , stroke play). Idea here is i wanted to play champ green always , at present i waste lot of time join and cancel until i see TL.

3. Stroke play game with 50 credit min. That way people playing can pay off for the ball. Like i do in match play.  Selection dialog can have two tabs , credit , normal. under credit all game types are for credits.

4. Able to whisper players who is online to be ready for next game 15 min etc.

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Fri, Apr 25 2014 8:45 AM

andyson:
    Why do you assume balls rated exactly the same perform exactly the same? 

The real question should be, why you assumed that I thought balls here that are rated the same will perform exactly the same? If the one ball rule states that a player can only finish a round with the same "type" of ball they started with, then a WGT player would be following the spirit of the rule more closely by finishing a round with a ball rated the same as the one they started with, as opposed to finishing with a starter which is far different in every category.

We are given certain specs on the balls used here so they are what we have to go on. So, if I start with 2 Nike ball's rated 4.0 spin, 4.5, distance, 2.5 durability, and 3.5 swing meter speed, and lose them both, why shouldn't I be allowed to use another Nike ball I happen to have that has all of the exact same ratings? I would be finishing the round with a ball that is the same "type" of ball I started with.

And whoever posted that the balls are not in your bag, may I ask you where your clubs are located then? Are they all tied together with thin string and then around your waist so you can just drag them along as you walk? And if all the extra balls I have purchased and still have are not in my bag, then where are the starter balls located?

I have found 3 different balls that I prefer to use here, so far. Depending on the amount of credits I have, as well as the amount of cash loaded on the card I have to use to buy credits, is normally how I decide which ones I will buy at a given time. Let's please get real here though.

Some of you continue to try and use the argument that there is somehow an unfair advantage for a player who loses the last of their favorite ball's, being allowed to finish a round with a ball they bought, and are more accustomed to hitting, than the starter balls. They can no longer finish the round with the ball they prefer hitting, yet you and WGT want to penalize them even more by making them finish with a ball rated at 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0.

And another dose of reality here, WGT is trying to follow rules put in place by the USGA for PGA players. Anyone like to guess when the last time a PGA player paid for the balls they use in any round? My point is, this rule can not be applied the same here as for pro golfer's on the tour. Now, if WGT would like to give WGT players their choice of an endless supply of their favorite ball, then this issue goes away for good.

Somehow, I don't see this happening. I would really like to hear from anyone as to why they think it would be so terrible for a player to get to use any ball they have purchased and still own, upon losing the last of a certain type in a round? The player gets to finish with a decent ball, save a few credits, which will soon be used to refill their favorite ball they ran out of anyway, and they don't have to go from hitting a ball with a swing meter speed rating of 3.0 to one of 0.0.

If all things between WGT and the PGA were equal I wouldn't have an issue with this, but they are not. Especially when it comes to this topic, as far as rules go, there just is nothing close to the same about them. As I have said, I would prefer a DQ over the current set up, but even THAT could not be likened to a PGA golfer being disqualified for losing every ball in their bag. When did this happen last and what were the circumstances? I'm dying to know.

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Fri, Apr 25 2014 9:09 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Which ones?

At this moment, starting with the lower level ball, I currently own the Nike 20XI-X L48+ and the Nike 20XI-X Vapor Ball L57+, then the Nike RZN Vapor L65+ is .5 different than those two on the swing meter.

Does WGT mean to say that a "Vapor" ball with the same ratings as its counterpart, and the only difference between them being a digital vapor trail left by it, makes it such a vastly different ball type that it's more proper to place a starter ball in play?

What I am really failing to see is where WGT would lose money by changing the way this rule is applied? People who don't have the credits at the time can't just make them appear, people who spend consistently will continue to do so, but only when they have available credits. In other words, I'm happy to buy another sleeve if the reminder box pops up to let me know I'm on my last ball of that type, if I have the credits!

If not, I have to wait until the stores that load my VISA with my cash open their doors. So, if WGT is getting a constant and equal flow of money from a player, they know, by most standards, that it should continue along the same amounts received during certain time-frames, as it does with these games. If the income stops, they know the player either quit, died, or went broke.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Apr 25 2014 9:51 AM

ShadyShank:
    And whoever posted that the balls are not in your bag, may I ask you where your clubs are located then?

I never posted that, but they are not in your bag as that poster tried to explain.

ShadyShank:
    Are they all tied together with thin string and then around your waist so you can just drag them along as you walk?

Not around your waist sadly, and not on course.  As the poster referred to above tried to point out (hopefully I got it right) they are somewhere else.  Think such as in your garage was the  example used.

ShadyShank:
    And if all the extra balls I have purchased and still have are not in my bag, then where are the starter balls located?

As was pointed out they have a special space-time continuum rule comparable to nothing else.  Were this special allowance stop then running out would mean game over, just a walk back from where you where left to do.

ShadyShank:
    They can no longer finish the round with the ball they prefer hitting, yet you and WGT want to penalize them even more by making them finish with a ball rated at 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0.

First see above re option to just finish and walk back.  Also consider your last hit was to 1 inch of the cup #18 of a nice credit brackets game.  What would you sooner do? Putt with a starter ball or be sent packing DQ'd?....Already more than fair.

ShadyShank:
    Anyone like to guess when the last time a PGA player paid for the balls they use in any round? My point is, this rule can not be applied the same here as for pro golfer's on the tour. Now, if WGT would like to give WGT players their choice of an endless supply of their favorite ball, then this issue goes away for good.

With respect you know that's nonsense.

ShadyShank:
    Does WGT mean to say that a "Vapor" ball with the same ratings as its counterpart, and the only difference between them being a digital vapor trail left by it, makes it such a vastly different ball type that it's more proper to place a starter ball in play?

Good point and well presented, but can't see the rule changing.  

What you are really asking for is for the ability to have a different ball deemed in your bag if the IF only difference is the vapour trail.  

There is still a difference in ball though you accept I am sure.  

Where these to be "deemed" in the bag also some would argue a vapour trail might give an advantage on certain holes.  IMO I can't see it being an advantage (WGT would need confirm ONLY difference), but the fact is there is a difference.  Kinda reaching for straws anyway I feel in all honesty.

No harm is raising the matter, but with everything else around here that needs looking at I personally would not put it high up on any list.  Now that's only my opinion I accept, and I would not have to administer the confusion that would surely come too:).

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Apr 25 2014 10:33 AM

ShadyShank:
    If the one ball rule states that a player can only finish a round with the same "type" of ball they started with, then a WGT player would be following the spirit of the rule more closely by finishing a round with a ball rated the same as the one they started with, as opposed to finishing with a starter which is far different in every category.

The conditional rule states "same brand and model" not "type"

USGA:

“Limitation on Balls Used During Round: (Note to Rule 5-1)

(i) “One Ball” Condition

During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

You're saying a different model ball with the same specs will perform exactly the same as the one you started with.  As I said, the same WGT ratings do not necessarily imply exact performance.

Your arguments are getting silly. 

• You'd prefer a DQ over a WD because you got stuck with a starter ball?  How is that better?  
    • USGA rules are used in the PGA....when's the last time a PGA player paid for balls?  WGT partnered with the USGA not the PGA.   CC or Men's Club tourneys also use the USGA rules. And we pay for our balls.
    • I can't buy balls when the reminder pops up because both my Visa is empty and the store that loads it with cash is closed. Well?  Gee, duh!  Check the number of balls remaining before clicking "Tee Off".  Don't start the tournament with only one ball!

This last ball replacement issue has been brought up constantly for the nearly 5 years I've been here and nothing has changed. 

Its not going to happen!  Live with it!

• vadernader
    62 Posts
    Fri, May 2 2014 1:29 PM

andyson:

ShadyShank:
    If the one ball rule states that a player can only finish a round with the same "type" of ball they started with, then a WGT player would be following the spirit of the rule more closely by finishing a round with a ball rated the same as the one they started with, as opposed to finishing with a starter which is far different in every category.

The conditional rule states "same brand and model" not "type"

USGA:

“Limitation on Balls Used During Round: (Note to Rule 5-1)

(i) “One Ball” Condition

During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

You're saying a different model ball with the same specs will perform exactly the same as the one you started with.  As I said, the same WGT ratings do not necessarily imply exact performance.

Your arguments are getting silly. 

• You'd prefer a DQ over a WD because you got stuck with a starter ball?  How is that better?  
    • USGA rules are used in the PGA....when's the last time a PGA player paid for balls?  WGT partnered with the USGA not the PGA.   CC or Men's Club tourneys also use the USGA rules. And we pay for our balls.
    • I can't buy balls when the reminder pops up because both my Visa is empty and the store that loads it with cash is closed. Well?  Gee, duh!  Check the number of balls remaining before clicking "Tee Off".  Don't start the tournament with only one ball!

This last ball replacement issue has been brought up constantly for the nearly 5 years I've been here and nothing has changed. 

Its not going to happen!  Live with it!

Don't think it's 100% fair to use real life examples as a basis for this considering in real life balls don't magically disintegrate after X number of uses (durability). Just sayin' ;)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, May 2 2014 2:19 PM

vadernader:
    Don't think it's 100% fair to use real life examples as a basis for this considering in real life balls don't magically disintegrate after X number of uses (durability). Just sayin' ;)

Possibly true, but bear in mind we effectively play the actual courses as set up for the majors and WGT use the one ball rule (sadly drop zones, balls in creeks 2 inches deep are deemed lost etc are flawed due to programming problems).

So we are then playing effectively as Professionals - and a pro will probably use up to 6 balls a round, so should a ball only last up to 6 holes before WGT replace it? Thereafter those balls are only good for practice.

WGT will never do that, and will not change the one ball rule........but if they do the former are there any sponsors out there who would like me to endorse your ball?

I say run out of your ball during a round and you are DQ - end of story (and then wait for complaints lol)

• vadernader
    62 Posts
    Fri, May 2 2014 2:47 PM

alanti:

vadernader:

Possibly true, but bear in mind we effectively play the actual courses as set up for the majors and WGT use the one ball rule (sadly drop zones, balls in creeks 2 inches deep are deemed lost etc are flawed due to programming problems).

So we are then playing effectively as Professionals - and a pro will probably use up to 6 balls a round, so should a ball only last up to 6 holes before WGT replace it? Thereafter those balls are only good for practice.

WGT will never do that, and will not change the one ball rule........but if they do the former are there any sponsors out there who would like me to endorse your ball?

I say run out of your ball during a round and you are DQ - end of story (and then wait for complaints lol)

I myself think a good solution would be if WGT would code it so that the ball didn't actually disappear (if it was your last) until your round concluded. (Unless you withdraw or quit, etc. then it would disappear as well)

Yes it might cost WGT a couple pennies here and there to let people finish out their ball until the last hole but it would make everyone happy. The USGA rule quoters and the standard ball moaners all happy together. :)

RSS