Forums

Help › Forums

LET'S BE HONEST

Mon, Feb 27 2017 4:33 PM (2,573 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 1:23 AM

Musical Interlude

• craigswan
    31,067 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 2:45 AM

People who play golf live longer than those who do not, new research has suggested.

Edinburgh scientists claimed the sport was likely to increase life expectancy, help chronic diseases and improve mental health.

Researchers reviewed 5,000 studies into golf and found it had physical and mental health benefits for people of all ages.

They found the physical gains increased with age.

Balance and muscle endurance in older people were improved by playing the sport and it was also likely to improve cardiovascular, respiratory and metabolic health.

Golfing could also help those who suffered chronic diseases including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, colon and breast cancer and stroke, as well as helping reduce the risk of anxiety, depression and dementia, researchers found.

The study found golfers typically burnt a minimum of 500 calories over 18 holes and those walking the course could cover four to eight miles.

Dr Andrew Murray, from the physical activity for health research centre at Edinburgh University, said: "We know that the moderate physical activity that golf provides increases life expectancy, has mental health benefits and can help prevent and treat more than 40 major chronic diseases such as heart attacks, stroke, diabetes, breast and colon cancer.

"Evidence suggests golfers live longer than non-golfers, enjoying improvements in cholesterol levels, body composition, wellness, self-esteem and self-worth.

"Given that the sport can be played by the very young to the very old, this demonstrates a wide variety of health benefits for people of all ages."

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 3:24 AM

Good idea Craig but the emphysema and messed up lower spine rules out swinging real clubs.

I didn't kow if I should post my news or not but it's all helped me get things into perspective quickly.

But enough of that nonsense, it's business as usual from me.

Thank you all for the kind words and support plus a special thanks for the Cure tune, very apt and made me smile. I didn't kow if I should post my news or not but it's all helped me get things into perspective quickly.

There's time a-wasting and plenty of fun still to be had.

• ct690911
    7,202 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 6:37 AM

PaulTon:

Good idea Craig but the emphysema and messed up lower spine rules out swinging real clubs.

I didn't kow if I should post my news or not but it's all helped me get things into perspective quickly.

But enough of that nonsense, it's business as usual from me.

Thank you all for the kind words and support plus a special thanks for the Cure tune, very apt and made me smile. I didn't kow if I should post my news or not but it's all helped me get things into perspective quickly.

There's time a-wasting and plenty of fun still to be had.

Is senility one of the symptoms?...you even made the same typo in "know".

Anyway...I checked with my astrologist and she's confident you're gonna be fine.:)

Odd that an astrologist has a 1-900 # and says naughty things, in addition to reading a horoscope... whatever.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 6:57 AM

Lang may yer lum reek.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 7:14 AM

My proof reader will be shot!

The astrology comment led my thoughts to Tarot, which made me remember this bizarre childrens TV series from the early 70's. The weird dude was called Tarot.

Throw in some HR Puffinstuff and there's why my mind is the way it is.

• ct690911
    7,202 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 7:50 AM

Agree Paul..I think all of us still carry mental scars from those days...oi vey

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 10:45 AM

Got nothing to add to the previous posts except that you are obviously one of the good guys Paul and that is universally acknowledged here.

You will beat this thing, because mostly you're such a curmudgeon :-)

Heck, even I managed to stave off the duodenal cancer so far and I'm not nearly in the same league as you.

Stay strong, keep sharpening your razor-sharp wit and feck it, try and beat me in an alt shot game for once, ya bawface.

:-)

• craigswan
    31,067 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2016 3:22 AM

get a red one they said funny picture 

RSS