Reality vs Make Believe

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 30 2010 8:38 AM (21 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 9:33 AM

neildiamond11790:
    Thats the key, it depends on the lie.

QFT, neil. Also what gets ignored are the walls of the bunker. Bunkers have walls that need to be negotiated. The longer the iron the flatter the flight and that wall might just be in the way.

SA pot bunkers are good examples of this. Oftentimes you will be in one where you're in the middle or back part with a decent lie. In neil's case he didn't have a wall in front of him and was able to get the long iron out. Look at what the game caddie suggests for a club. Usually this is a hint that something's up when you see a wedge suggested from a fairway trap. If you try longer irons you may get out but the distance will be severely limited, almost as if the shot hit the top of the bunker on the way out. Where a PW might go 100 out of the trap an 8i might only go 45 because it didn't get in the air fast enough and bumped the top of the wall.

Sad to say, been there and done that too many times. :-(

• BigArnL
    851 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 11:19 AM

My comments were directed to cravis, in answer to his origional statements.Instead of trying to better themselves, players either quit or slam the game, when an explanation or help may have been the answer to the problem.I have also golfed for real, but no longer physically able to, due to disability.My goodness, the things people say and do, instead of deducting or figuring out what may be the problem.."is slamming WGT the answer?", no.-Therefore if help can be given in the first place, it may be we would not lose as many players.Not all who play, understand the game in the first place and what they need to do in answer to the lie,wind,etc..

• Chazzz7
    53 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:15 PM

Well that makes me feel better but i agree rolling into a bunker should not end up 30 40 percent lie. if you just get off the fairway i understand being penalized as it should but some lies are really funny so it gets frustrating ,overall still the best game out there.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:35 PM

YankeeJim:

neildiamond11790:
    Thats the key, it depends on the lie.

QFT, neil. Also what gets ignored are the walls of the bunker. Bunkers have walls that need to be negotiated. The longer the iron the flatter the flight and that wall might just be in the way.

SA pot bunkers are good examples of this. Oftentimes you will be in one where you're in the middle or back part with a decent lie. In neil's case he didn't have a wall in front of him and was able to get the long iron out. Look at what the game caddie suggests for a club. Usually this is a hint that something's up when you see a wedge suggested from a fairway trap. If you try longer irons you may get out but the distance will be severely limited, almost as if the shot hit the top of the bunker on the way out. Where a PW might go 100 out of the trap an 8i might only go 45 because it didn't get in the air fast enough and bumped the top of the wall.

Sad to say, been there and done that too many times. :-(

Geeze Jim, while your spending time giving advice on the course you could be spending that time to try and figure out why you can't hit the fairway :-)

-King

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:39 PM

Chazzz7:

Well that makes me feel better but i agree rolling into a bunker should not end up 30 40 percent lie. if you just get off the fairway i understand being penalized as it should but some lies are really funny so it gets frustrating ,overall still the best game out there.

Here the worst lies i can get out here

BP: 30-40 2nd cutt of rough, only 2 more clubs

Kiwiah: the rough is barley 1 club extra

St. Andrews:  The fescue is only 2 clubs

Oakmont:  2-3 Clubs from a 30-40 percent lie

Now i don't know about the bunkering but the rough isn't that much of a problem

JMO

-King

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:46 PM

KingOfTheCourse:

Geeze Jim, while your spending time giving advice on the course you could be spending that time to try and figure out why you can't hit the fairway :-)

-King

MPC  500 Credits Oakmont Fast Greens   Be there or be square..................  :-)

Heh-We'll see who hits fairways then  (and no, you can't ask 100 questions like always.)   

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 1:10 PM

YankeeJim:

KingOfTheCourse:

-King

MPC  500 Credits Oakmont Fast Greens   Be there or be square..................  :-)

Heh-We'll see who hits fairways then  (and no, you can't ask 100 questions like always.)   

If I had 500 credits believe me I would lol

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 6:57 PM

I been playing real golf for 15 years.I'll never make it to the PGA, should I just quit, since I can't compete with the best of the best?

I been playing this game since last October.I can't beat or compete with the best of the best around WGT, should I just quit?

I thought about quitting both at one time to another, but what's the point in that.I play both for fun and enjoy and hate one as much as the other.Their both fun, but everybody knows your golf game comes and goes, here and out there.

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 10:48 PM

I've been frustrated by the same thing, but the lie is the key. Some places, say a 10/20 lie, you can make a decent shot. Others, forget it, wedge to fairway and eat the extra stroke. I think it is this crazy frustration that keeps me coming back! Good luck! This will get ya smiling again...

Make Believe

Reality

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 10:56 PM

You probably could Iva...You probably could...

RSS