Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out II': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open RETURNS!

Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:44 AM (742 replies)
  • Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 2:52 PM

First round in the books with mnshiner and it was FUN!!

Got off to a shaky start after same trouble in practice rounds, +2 after 3... a birdie at 4 got my confidence level high again and I started to fight back. In the end, I was able to birdie 17 and miraculously birdie 18 with a tailwind by draining a 23ft big breaker. That was an amazing feeling for sure and another great moment in this tournament. Thanks already for organizing Corwyn/Cerino.

Finshed the round at -1 !

Cheers, Hans

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 2:55 PM

Hey, impressive card, Joe! Anyone here would be very happy to card +1 for front9, especially on those ending holes.

I'd agree that deviation seems to be less with a wood, and gets more pronounced with the shorter irons. One poster in another thread posited that WGT developers have based their alogorithms on club face angle, which would help explain those effects.

I would say, definitely, there are times when it's wise just to go for the middle of the green. I tend to plan in advance which holes even offer any sensibile percentage in attempting birdie, and try to stick to my game plan not to get tempted to attack pins on the tricky holes.

No, there is no such thing as a straight putt at Oakmont... 

Here are a couple of good threads with strategy and tips for Uneven Lies:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/148036.aspx

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/146602.aspx

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 3:08 PM

Hanswurst72:

First round in the books with mnshiner and it was FUN!!

Got off to a shaky start after same trouble in practice rounds, +2 after 3... a birdie at 4 got my confidence level high again and I started to fight back. In the end, I was able to birdie 17 and miraculously birdie 18 with a tailwind by draining a 23ft big breaker. That was an amazing feeling for sure and another great moment in this tournament. Thanks already for organizing Corwyn/Cerino.

Finshed the round at -1 !

Way to go, Hans!

First round under par in the tourney, and no surprise that it came from you.

All right folks, Hans has set the marker. Can anyone stay with him this time?

(Leaderboard here)

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 3:12 PM

What a pleasure it was to play along side Mr. Hanswurst. I had a blast. My putting really hurt me. Didn't catch on until the 12th hole to what I was doing wrong with the scale. I told Hans these starter clubs are not coming out of the bag all week.

My green screenshot didn't come out for some reason. Sorry about that but here is the rest of the story.

2OtZE.png

gfnu.png

AQS.png

dS08N.png
    5jB1I.png
    dI1Z5.png
    cYMy3.png
    ChoI.png
    o1wbQ.png

• joewaters
    258 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 3:35 PM

Thanks Corwyn, and the links.

Just look at those stats from Hans, he's going to blow us all away. Over 100 feet of putts

Bloody heck.

ok back 9 time now

ps, anybody want practice - I am here now

darn it, just missed ur inviite Hans

• xXxjasonxXx
    688 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 4:29 PM

Corwyn:

mohuyu:

Myself and jason decided this tourney is not for us. Corwyn could you please remove me from the tournament.

Regards

Mo

I see Mo beat me to it really sry corwyn but it was just not for me wish everyone luck an may the best player win..

Jason..

• bfghd
    1,344 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 6:17 PM

Very pleasant round with ColumbusStorm: I seem to have forgot my back 9 scorecard... Hope my p got it!

:

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 6:46 PM

bfghd and ColumbusStorm results

Forgot to show all clubs, hopefully you will believe us that we both used starter wedges and woods.

Still a fun challenge, but I really need to learn these starter clubs again.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 8:23 PM

ColumbusStorm:
    bfghd and ColumbusStorm results

Forgot to show all clubs, hopefully you will believe us that we both used starter wedges and woods.

Still a fun challenge, but I really need to learn these starter clubs again.

Nice going, you two! 2 strong rounds there (and both of you several shots better than your scores at Oakmont last time around). 

Russ (Columbus), I certainly do believe that you both used the right clubs. Showing the full bag is merely a recommendation, not a requirement. Indeed, you're the one who showed me the 'full bag' trick in the last tourney.

I'm guessing that your long 56ft bomb came on #15 for that birdie: I don't think I've ever seen a birdie there before. Wow! Handy to get a long one, and puts you in top position in the Total Distance Putts Made standings too.

Seems like you struggled a little on the par 3s though... In fact, looking closely at the hole distances on the card, it seems you got different pin positions on all 4 of the par 3s to the pairing before you, Hans and mnshiner (which is intriguing, given the posts above; I didn't realize that pin positions might vary so much even within the same setting). I think the closer pins on #6, and #13, are actually much harder with starters, so that was bad luck, but if you got the left pin on #16 that's easier, so I guess it does balance out.

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:32 PM

Corwyn,  correct about the 58 bird putt on #15. With the wind in our face, both bfghd and myself just barely got onto the green with the pin in the back position. Was trying hard just to get the distances correct with the starter putter. Not having any 3 putts helped.

Over 18 holes there is a better chance that the conditions even out for everyone, and even more so over the 4 rounds.

Thank you for organizing this tournament, lots of fun and interesting challenges too.

RSS