Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out II': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open RETURNS!

Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:44 AM (742 replies)
  • Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 8:42 AM

I agree on that pin placement issue, but that will certainly even out over the 4 rounds. Lots of ugly spots to avoid that will have much more impact than a few pin positions =)

Cheers, Hans

• MizzyMan
    52 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 8:48 AM

Hanswurst72:

I agree on that pin placement issue, but that will certainly even out over the 4 rounds. Lots of ugly spots to avoid that will have much more impact than a few pin positions =)

Cheers, Hans

Good call Hans. Wise words from a wise man. :)

I was hoping to play round 1 today but I haven't heard back from my partner. If anyone reads this wants to play a practice round I am green. 

Mizzy

• PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:04 AM

MizzyMan:

Well, I was also thinking the same thing but a single screenshot would solve this issue. I think the game conditions are shown in the game lobby where a screenshot could be taken with the 2 players and conditions.

In game lobby doesn't show pin location. The only one who could take the screen shot is the one who sets conditions, BEFORE he hits invite players, But one could always take a favorable screen shot and then simply set conditions again.

MizzyMan:
    They never seem consistent so getting the "same" exact course is quite difficult

Yup, it's funny, I once got the long pin on St. Andrews #17 with "easy" pins.

But like I said, I in no way think this could be a problem with this friendly bunch of nice honourable people.

• Macduff10
    370 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:27 AM

Here goes. Camotto & I played the 1st round with somewhat painful inaccuracy.  I got worse as the round progressed & Cam was getting better.  Fun despite the humiliation.  And I just realized I didn't get a screen shot of me on the green.  Cam said he couldn't do the screen shots, so I tried to fill in for him.  I hope this is OK.

Mac

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:29 AM

The courses that have multiple pin positions the rating(hard, med, easy) is based on more than one factor. The wind strength and direction is a major factor. That's why on a single hole the "hard" pin could be either depending on the wind. First hole on Oakmont is a perfect example. I've practiced about 6 rounds now and got each pin 3 times. The front pin when I had wind into my face and to the left and the back when the wind was with me and to the right. Both are brutal with the starters and UL's. ;-)

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:33 AM

Macduff10:

Here goes. Camotto & I played the 1st round with somewhat painful inaccuracy.  I got worse as the round progressed & Cam was getting better.  Fun despite the humiliation.  And I just realized I didn't get a screen shot of me on the green.  Cam said he couldn't do the screen shots, so I tried to fill in for him.  I hope this is OK.

Mac

Great job making par on 1 and 18 MD. Those are 2 of the hardest pars on the course.

• Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:54 AM

CerinoDevoti:

Great job making par on 1 and 18 MD. Those are 2 of the hardest pars on the course.

Indeed, add #9 and you would have really impressed me ;)

By the way folks, I had a very short practice that ended in the burn left at #2.... never hit in there! :D

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 11:03 AM

Hanswurst72:

By the way folks, I had a very short practice that ended in the burn left at #2.... never hit in there! :D

:)

Both my practices at Andies have ended at 2 so far Hans...I know and feel that pain. I've got a lot of love for the bunker at the back of the green so far.

• Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 11:52 AM

Got the feel for the meter again, back 9 one over par... first round can start soon :-P

• joewaters
    258 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2013 2:11 PM

Think I'm getting the hang of this caper a little bit

My thoughts so far:-

Does anyone find the deviation off a slope less pronounced when hitting a wood ?

The shorter the shot the worse things get.

On #9 for example had 47 to go, off a sloping L>R aimed 12 yards left, hit 50 to 1 foot

Is it a better policy just to go for middle of green sometimes, unless there is a large margin of error going for pin.

Is there a straight putt on Oak ??  lol

RSS