Forums

Help › Forums

Aiming- Do you aim for a perfect shot?

Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:30 PM (31 replies)
  • vtaz
    8 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 4:22 PM

While aiming, particularly when putting, are you aiming for a perfect shot (hitting the line) or estimating room for error.

• Chuckyboy
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 6:52 PM

Apparently, at least on my computer, this stupid game aims FOR you about 30-40% of the time. I click on or close to the the middle mark and the swing meter just keeps on truckin' all the way to the right and my entire hole is screwed. A pity, since this is the neatest idea for a golf game I think I've played. Just dropped out of the St. Andrews open and will not be entering any more tournaments til this problem gets fixed. Don't know how much real money these people posting scores of  59 paid to WGT, but if the free clubs don't do what I tell them to, I'm not gonna waste my money or my time. Hello again Tiger woods 2010!  This is Chuckyboy and this game is all pretty wrapping and no present. Now where the Hell is my PS3 controller?

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 10:20 PM

vtaz:

While aiming, particularly when putting, are you aiming for a perfect shot (hitting the line) or estimating room for error.

There are many posts and schools of thought regarding this question. I think a majority of WGT users struggle with putting. As do a majority of REAL golfers. lol.

In my experience aiming for a spot and dinging the meter seldom works with putting unless you're doing some major calculus. I use a combination but my putts are mostly controlled by my feel for the meter; meaning I advertently hit the meter too soon or too late at times. It's difficult.

To me it breaks down to experience and memory. You have to learn the break; the nuances. Sure I could do the math but I play this game for leisure and don't want to wreak havoc on my mind when i'm playing virtual golf and drinking high powered beer. lol.

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 11:40 PM

Chuckyboy:

Don't know how much real money these people posting scores of  59 paid to WGT, but if the free clubs don't do what I tell them to, I'm not gonna waste my money or my time. Hello again Tiger woods 2010!  This is Chuckyboy and this game is all pretty wrapping and no present. Now where the Hell is my PS3 controller?

LMAO

• vtaz
    8 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 4:42 AM

I understood that there were probably many posts and schools of thought reguarding this question, and I've looked for an answer... Maybe I didn't search far back enough?

My concern is that I can cosistantly stop the swing meter short or long if I so choose (at least much easier than the excellent line) particularly while putting.  (I'm not saying I can't hit the excellent line, but it seems much easier for me to do what I've previously stated.

Knowing this, should I start aiming for an intended deviation (short or long of the excellent line) and adjusting my read?

Does anyone do this?

Thanks for all your help. 

• pardog06
    53 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 4:46 AM

Putting is the strongest part of my game in WGT! I prefer to acount for slope and then click on right or left of mark for it..Even on a 4ft putt with a hard left or right slope i dont aim i just leave center then click on opisite side of mark..It seems the ball takes a better trajectory into the slope imiedietly off club face when done like this..Makeing hard slopes easyer to judge..Good luck to you and i hope this helps.

Pardog06

• swillpuppy
    10 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 5:48 AM

Leave Center? what the hell does that mean click on opposite side of mark, what are you talking about? Nobody with a brain-stem could understand that crap!

• vtaz
    8 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 4:58 PM

snaike? soulcatcher? smason77? TLD?

You guys post on a lot of forums? Since someone suggested that this has been talked about a lot.  What did people say? What do you think?

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:33 PM

vtaz:

snaike? soulcatcher? smason77? TLD?

You guys post on a lot of forums? Since someone suggested that this has been talked about a lot.  What did people say? What do you think?

Since I haven't been a master for long.. and my game is slowly beginning to come around.. i'm reluctant to offer my opinion with any level of certainty.

Yet as I eluded to before... I never aim for a putt and attempt to ding the meter unless it's straight in or nearly straight in. Keep in mind i'm not the greatest putter in the world.

I always intentionally miss the meter right or left on long putts with considerable break and on short putts with a lot of break. The speed of the putt has a great deal to do with it too. I'm not one to read a whole lot on how to do things in these games; I tend to just learn from experience. That's that way, uh huh uh huh, I like it.

There are many variables but to answer your question directly and honestly in my opinion; Yes I do intend deviations and attempt to compensate with my feel for the meter. Again.. the speed of the putt is key to the element of break.. so as I previously stated it's a learning process and you have to just get a fell for it. Uphill putts, if hit firmly, don't break nearly as much as downhill putts. Since it's wise to hit downhill putts much softer you should expect much more break. 

Sorry if this doesn't help. That's just how I do it. I'm sure there are many better players than myself on here who could offer a much better explanation. Theres a sticky out there somewhere posted by WGTniv or someone I believe but I don't know the link to it. 

Have fun and GL

• CommanderIan
    16 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 9:11 PM

Really?

The mark is that white line that you try to hit when hitting any shot.  So clicking on either side of the mark means clicking the mouse when the shot meter is on one side or the other of the mark.

RSS