Mine is up and running too 

• TDHarvey
    433 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 7:17 AM

yeah JIm must have been like you were talking about with the weeklies

• borntobesting
    9,633 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 9:30 AM

I would like to congratulate everyone who qualified and wish you all good luck in the finals. I must say I am fairly disappointed in my play in the USGA qualifier. No I did not expect to qualify but after I made  master and was able to get master clubs I thought I could at least  shoot a decent score of par or slightly under. But the best I could manage was 2 81's. Well there is always next year.  Right now I am just having to many brain dead moments that costs me several strokes. I will continue to try to qualify for the R&A virtual open. I have managed to shoot par once. Not great but much better than at Oakmont. But the Par round i shot had many let's be honest lousy holes. Especially the last 4. Through # 14 that day I was @ -6 and went bogie double double and bogie. 1 more birdie and lose those last 4 nightmare holes and at the time 65 was the cut line but......... 

• TarheelsRule
    5,497 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 1:45 PM

Just keep plugging away at St Andrews.  I was having trouble getting a good one going and finally shot a 62 to hopefully qualify.  That course is all about getting the right wind and a few putts to fall and taking advantage of those 4 or 5 short par 4's and the 2 par 5's.

• TarheelsRule
    5,497 Posts
    Tue, Jul 13 2010 7:54 AM

Just played my first round of the USGA Open at Oakmont.  I was playing poorly a couple of over par, couldn't find the fairway or putt.  I made a triple at 13, tee shot didn't move left with the wind and dead in that bunker.  On 15 I was in the fringe about 22 feet from the pin and 12 inches downhill.  Set my putter to 15 feet and tried to hit it about 6 feet, it went an inch, actually don't think it moved 5 straight times, finally used the 90 feet scale and hit it by the hole.  I was going for about 75 anyway but there is no excuse for something like this happening and ruining a tournament.  Since I was sucking anyway it just further ruined my round but imagine being 7 under then and having that happen.  I sent in the bug log, hope it will get fixed.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Jul 13 2010 8:17 AM

Tar, that bug is all over the game not just that hole.  I have seen it at Kiawah, and also Bethpage.  It only happens hitting a shortened meter from the fringe.  Better off taking a 7yd chip wedge, full back spin and popping it a few ft.  I had a nasty one on Oak #2, from behind the pin, and just lipped it out, the ball actually looked like it stopped at one point, then rolled another 7ft.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Tue, Jul 13 2010 1:04 PM

Day 1 recap is posted on the front page of this thread.  Keep a watch on the first post for updated information throughout the final rounds!

• TarheelsRule
    5,497 Posts
    Tue, Jul 13 2010 1:44 PM

Thanks Neil, I have run into it once or twice before.  In this case it was 20 foot very downhill and I tried to putt it switching to the 15 foot scale.  It seems that if you use the 90 footer that it gives you then it works, only problem is that they ball goes about 30 feet too far.  Like I said wasn't having a good round anyway but this completely ruined it.

• AlbinoRhino
    15 Posts
    Tue, Jul 13 2010 3:02 PM

That happened to me on 8 as well. I was probably, at most, 2 inches off the green on the fringe and 12 feet from the hole downhill. I went to hit a 6 ft putt and the ball didn't move. I am not sure how it could ever be possible to whiff or miss a put from 12 feet.

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Tue, Jul 13 2010 9:26 PM

TarheelsRule:

Just played my first round of the USGA Open at Oakmont.  I was playing poorly a couple of over par, couldn't find the fairway or putt.  I made a triple at 13, tee shot didn't move left with the wind and dead in that bunker.  On 15 I was in the fringe about 22 feet from the pin and 12 inches downhill.  Set my putter to 15 feet and tried to hit it about 6 feet, it went an inch, actually don't think it moved 5 straight times, finally used the 90 feet scale and hit it by the hole.  I was going for about 75 anyway but there is no excuse for something like this happening and ruining a tournament.  Since I was sucking anyway it just further ruined my round but imagine being 7 under then and having that happen.  I sent in the bug log, hope it will get fixed.

Wanna take that crap out of the equation, don't putt from the fringe.  Too many of the views on the game don't allow you to see just how deep in it you are.  Chip it & you'll never (ok, no guarantees) have that happen again.

Just my .02

RSS