Forums

Help › Forums

USGA Virtual Championship Discussion Thread

Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:59 AM (111 replies)
  • MikeMangan
    48 Posts
    Tue, Jul 13 2010 10:11 PM

Boy, I didn't count on the extra wind for my first round of the U.S. Virtual Open, but it didn't matter because my shot meter skipped on four different times, costing me about 6 shots. Disappointing, because I grinded like hell for two weeks to finally qualify and - though I certainly wasn't expecting to win - I thought I could perhaps finish in the top 25 or 30. I was +4 through 16 before I finally withdrew.

I have to say it was a blast going through this process, hopefully I can qualify for the Open Championship.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Tue, Jul 13 2010 11:47 PM

Recap through Day 2 is now posted on the front page of this thread.  Keep a watch on the first post for updated information throughout the final rounds!

---

Schedule for the Final Rounds of the USGA Virtual Championship:

Round 1 concludes at 11:59PM PDT on Thursday, July 15th!

Round 2: 1:00 AM PDT July 16th - 11:59PM PDT July 18th (Fri, Sat, Sun)

There will be an 18-hole playoff on Monday, July 19th if 2 or more players are tied at the conclusion of the final rounds!

All times are listed as Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -7)!!

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 6:03 AM

WGTniv:

Round 1 concludes at 11:59PM PDT on Thursday, July 16th15th!**edit**

Round 2: 1:00 AM PDT July 17th16th - 11:59PM PDT July 19th18th (Fri, Sat, Sun)**edit**

Today is Wednesday the 14th.  Check all your days and dates niv.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 6:49 AM

Agree Andy...

Niv, the way I read it...

1st round... Mon-Wed

2nd round Thurs-Sun

from the rules...

(“Round 1”), and playing and completing the 18-hole stroke play game between 1:00 am PT July 12, 2010 and 11:59 pm PT July 14, 2010. You may enter Round 2 of the Championships by logging in to the website at www.wgt.com or www.USOpen.com or www.USGA.org, between 1:00 am PT July 15, 2010 and 11:59 pm PT July 18, 2010 (“Round 2”), and playing and completing the 18-hole stroke play game between 1:00 am PT July 15, 2010 and 11:59 pm PT July 18, 2010.

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 7:02 AM

andyson:

While we're at it, notice the word "Playoff" under TIEBREAKER.... but if you go to the rules you find this:

"Championships. The Qualifying Entrants will advance to the Championships rounds .......

In the event of a tie, the better scoring entrant between or among the tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final nine (9) holes of the Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final six (6) holes for such Game.  If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final three (3) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest score for the 18th  hole (9th for nine hole games)  in such Game, and any remaining ties will be determined by identifying the lowest scoring entrant for each individual game hole, in sequence from 17th (8th for nine hole games) through to 1st, as is necessary to determine a winner, and if any ties remain at that point, the earlier-submitted entry between or among the tied entries will be deemed the better scoring entry."

So which is it?  And if it's a playoff, how is that going to be handled?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 7:23 AM

Great job on confusing everything.

Could someone from WGT please specifically state the ending time for round 1? 1 minute before midnight Thursday in San Francisco is what I am understanding.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 12:16 PM

Sorry folks.  It was an honest mistake resulting from my being on the east coast and often working in the early AM.  Dates are fixed in previous posts now.

Lee: An 18-hole playoff will be played on Monday if scores are tied after the first two rounds.  That's why under the tiebreak for the 2nd round it says "Playoff" instead of the usual "Scorecard".  If the playoff round also ends in a tie then we will do the normal scorecard tiebreaker method.  We'll get that bit added into the rules ASAP.

---

Round 1 concludes at 11:59PM PDT on Thursday, July 15th!

Round 2: 1:00 AM PDT July 16th - 11:59PM PDT July 18th (Fri, Sat, Sun)

There will be an 18-hole playoff on Monday, July 19th if two or more players are tied at the conclusion of the final rounds!

All times are listed as Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -7)!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 1:48 PM

Niv-That was not directed at you specifically. I apologize if you think it was.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 1:51 PM

Fair enough.  No apology is necessary.  Sorry for any confusion there.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 2:10 PM

Midday Update from Day 3 Action:

Congratulations to BolloxInBruges who has just taken the lead in the clubhouse with a 9-under par 61!

RSS