Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:00 PM

pjctas0822:

Is there a way to know what equipment is actually being used 

Read the rules.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:34 PM

pjctas0822:

Is there a way to know what equipment is actually being used or is this going on an honor system amongst the players ?

Just curious because  the scorecards dont show what equipment is used and I hate to say this but there are dishonest people out there and that would totally ruin this awesome idea.

Thanks for bringing this up, pjctas!

Firstly, for scores to be verified rounds will need to be played in twosomes or threesomes as indicated above. While that doesn't prevent player collusion, we're also requiring that screenshots be posted (in this thread) not only from the final green, but also of the approach on the 18th. Together, those will verify Green Speed, Uneven Lies, Wind Conditions, Starter Ball, and at least one Starter club/category for sure. The Scorecard posting will verify the Tees used.* I believe that's as good as can be done currently, but we're open to any suggestions anyone has for a less cumbersome system. 

I too would love to see WGT implement Scorecards that recorded ALL course conditions (see this request). Hopefully that's a question MisterWGT can answer Friday...

Glad you think it's an awesome tourney. We do too!

*  If we wanted to get truly pedantic, I guess we could require that the greenshot be of a hole where the pin placement was unique to the chosen hole location set, but a) I'd need someone with more course knowledge to advise on that, and b) I think we can rely on some trust and integrity -- golf is supposed to be an honorable game, after all.

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2012 1:31 AM

Corwyn:

While that doesn't prevent player collusion, we're also requiring that screenshots be posted (in this thread) not only from the final green, but also of the approach on the 18th. Together, those will verify Green Speed, Uneven Lies, Wind Conditions, Starter Ball, and at least one Starter club/category for sure. The Scorecard posting will verify the Tees used.* I believe that's as good as can be done currently, but we're open to any suggestions anyone has for a less cumbersome system. 

Based on my recent experience, I'd perhaps give a little extra flexibility over the approach shot on the 18th. By insisting that it needs to happen on 18, if someone misses the shot there's no other chances to take a shot on the next hole.I generally give people the last five holes to take an equipment / lie shot and this means that no-one has an excuse to say that "I forgot".

It took six weeks (18 rounds) for most players in the WGF Tour to get used to posting / taking screenshots without multiple errors being made. What's your stance if a player doesn't post the required screenshots? It's going to happen at some point across the four rounds.

Unfortunately there isn't an easier way to currently manage this type of event (in respect of verifying playing conditions / club choices). I'd love for there to be as it'd make managing this type of event much simpler.

Best of luck running this tournament guys.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:51 AM

jimbean346:

I generally give people the last five holes to take an equipment / lie shot and this means that no-one has an excuse to say that "I forgot".

What's your stance if a player doesn't post the required screenshots? It's going to happen at some point across the four rounds.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement James!

We'll certainly relax the "last-hole-only" requirement, and we'll have to think about what to do if there are no screenshots. How do you deal with it?

BTW: I'm in awe of the organization you must undertake dealing with all those tourneys. What a fabulous service to the community!

And any chance we can get you involved as a player in this one (if you any time left!)?

• ANDREAP
    1,642 Posts
    Thu, Sep 27 2012 3:29 AM

thx for inviting bud ..but 18 hole played with other players take about 2 hours  and not often i have all that time ..if it was possible play 2 rd  ..front and back in different moment. i sould have no problem play ur comp..cause really i like play that way :))

Andrea

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Thu, Sep 27 2012 6:43 AM

Corwyn:

We'll certainly relax the "last-hole-only" requirement, and we'll have to think about what to do if there are no screenshots. How do you deal with it?

And any chance we can get you involved as a player in this one (if you any time left!)?

I have the luxury of being able to give shot penalties once a player receives a second warning. As there it's a multiple event tour, these penalties don't overly affect the person in question. In a small scale event like this, a 2-3 shot penalty would seriously hinder someone's chances of being competitive. I'd probably suggest:

1 posting error = official warning

2 posting errors = 1 shot penalty

3 posting errors = 2 shot penalty

4 posting errors = DNF (did not finish)

I can't imagine someone would mess posting up on every round but I'd advise making sure that all the players competing would know how to post before they start playing. Further advice is to post an example screenshot so that all the participating players know what you're looking for.

Re taking part; I love uneven lies + starter combos but unfortunately my time is too limited currently to get involved.

Feel free to send me a FR if you want to ask any further questions.

Cheers

James

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 27 2012 8:57 AM

ANDREAP:
    thx for inviting bud ..but 18 hole played with other players take about 2 hours  and not often i have all that time ..if it was possible play 2 rd  ..front and back in different moment. i sould have no problem play ur comp..cause really i like play that way :))

Thanks for your interest Andrea. Time is definitely a factor. Perhaps we can pair you up with someone else in the same situation (or find you a marker)? What are your available playing times?

Anyone else out there wanting to play but worried about the time commitment?

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 27 2012 9:02 AM

jimbean346:

In a small scale event like this, a 2-3 shot penalty would seriously hinder someone's chances of being competitive. I'd probably suggest:

1 posting error = official warning

2 posting errors = 1 shot penalty

3 posting errors = 2 shot penalty

4 posting errors = DNF (did not finish)

I can't imagine someone would mess posting up on every round but I'd advise making sure that all the players competing would know how to post before they start playing. Further advice is to post an example screenshot so that all the participating players know what you're looking for.

These are great ideas. Thanks James! I'll implement all of this.

[Players: please note, opening post will be updated later today with entrants to date, initial pairings, and posting info. FYI all: we're now at 16 players. Entries still accepted until midnight PST Sunday 9/30. Thanks!]

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 12:33 AM

Attention Players: opening post in the thread now has list of entrants to date (18), and their 1st round pairings.

Please contact your playing partner to schedule your 1st Round at Royal St. George's next week!

(please note: new entrants will still be accepted until midnight PST Sun 9/30)

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2012 12:19 PM

Corwyn:
    Also, this is the only way in WGT to have a truly level playing field

lmao ... don't you mean "uneven playing field"?

• RSS