Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open

Mon, Nov 12 2012 1:35 PM (333 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2012 5:41 PM

From Corwyn & CerinoDevoti:

Some believe WGT's much-requested, and long-awaited, introduction of Uneven Lies is an "epic fail"… We disagree! We think it's just right, changing the game from one of dart-throwing, to one where you need to plan ahead, aim for flatter parts of fairways, give due consideration to shot-risk, and putt your lights out just to hang in there. And Uneven Lies also forces you to play shots very similar to those facing the pros in the majors. If you get in trouble, often the best (or only!)  thing to do is to play out sideways. In short, it's more like the game we see the top pros playing four times a year in the Majors on these very same courses.

So, drum roll… we're delighted to revive a WGT tradition, the 'Starter Clubs and Balls Tournament' with an added degree of difficulty, Uneven Lies. Welcome to the"The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open" aka 'The Tough-It-Out Test'. This tourney will be 4 single-play 18-hole rounds at the two British Open courses, and at the toughest two US Open courses, with set conditions for each. The challenge we're throwing out there is to see how many of the field can end up under par.

The tourney is open to all tiers and levels. Cerino wants to see how well the top legends can play Unevens with Starters, and I'm interested to build a pool of players interested in playing with Starters regularly.

Also, this is the only way in WGT to have a truly level playing field. We'll all be using the same clubs, balls, green speeds, and lies. So, no advantage for sandbaggers here!

All rounds to last no more than one week (Monday morning to Sunday night): we start right after Ryder Cup week. 

If anyone is up for this challenge, please sign up here in this thread, and via this link, and we will collate all the names in this first post.  Any questions, please ask and we'll try to answer.

-------------------------------

DETAILS:

Dates for each round:

Round 1 - start Monday 1st October, 2012, finish Sunday 7th October.

Round 2 - start Monday 8th October, finish Sunday 14th October.

Round 3 - start Monday 15th October, finish Sunday 21st October.

Round 4 - start Monday 22nd October, finish Sunday 28th October.

COURSE SETUP for each round:-

All games should be set with a 90-second timer, StrokePlay, in Practice Mode, with Uneven Lies. Hole locations, Tees, Green speeds and Wind conditions are as follows:.

Round 1Royal St George's: 18 holes, Default hole locations, White (Medium) tees, Fast greens, Moderate wind, Uneven Lies.

Round 2Oakmont: 18 holes, Hard hole locations, White (Medium) tees, Very Fast greens, Low wind, Uneven Lies.

Round 3St Andrews: 18 holes, Easy hole locations, Yellow (Medium) tees, Standard greens, High wind, Uneven Lies.

Round 4Olympic: 18 holes, Default hole locations, Red (Easy) tees, Very Fast greens, Low wind, Uneven Lies.

CLUBS: 
    Starter Clubs only and Starter Ball only.

The only clubs that can be used are the normal starter set that comes free of charge when you first joined the game.  No beginner equipment allowed, including the putter (it is unfair as newer players don't have beginner equipment).  Starter Plus clubs will not be allowed either as they are pay-for clubs.

PLAYING PARTNERS:

Rounds must be played in twosomes, or threesomes (if you have time to play with a third member). When you post your interest, please also indicate your availability window (e.g. weekdays 17:00-20:00 GMT) so that we can all most easily find a playing partner.

We'd love to have players play in pairings just like a real Open, i.e. twosomes or threesomes first 2 rounds, and then leaders together "on the weekend" but the latter may be ambitious. Do note, though, that we won't have a cut. We want everyone to have the chance to experience the fun of Starters on all of these toughest courses. If you're up for this challenge, you deserve to get the full 4 rounds! (If it's all too much pain, please Withdraw formally via a post in this thread… don't just disappear. Thanks!)

POSTING SCORES:

Links for submitting scores are coming soon (still wrestling with GoogleDocs!).

1st Round Posting link here (Royal St. George's)

2nd Round Posting link here (Oakmont)

3rd Round Posting link here (St Andrews)

4th Round Posting link here (Olympic)

Please note: As well as final Front 9 & Back 9 scorecard snapshots, you'll need to remember to take full screen shots on your 2nd shot on the 18th on any of the last five holes, as well as on the Green, to verify Uneven Lies, and other conditions. (It might be prudent to take one on the 1st fairway as well, so you've got one in reserve in case you forget later.) [Example screenshots can be found below in the next post]

1 posting error = official warning
    2 posting errors = 1 shot penalty
    3 posting errors = 2 shot penalty
    4 posting errors = DNF (did not finish)

Please do also share your playing experiences in this thread.

PRIZES: Tourney organizers are covering the prizes, which are as follows:
    1st place: 1500 credit purchases in the Pro Shop
    2nd place: 1000
     credit purchases in the Pro Shop
    3rd place: 500 credit purchases in the Pro Shop

There will also be special prizes (750 credits for each) for most Greens in Regulation, and Closest Distance to the Pin, so do include that data when you post scores on the form for each round.

Note: in the event of ties for any of the placings, we'll follow the WGT approach to resolving them, essentially, best scores for the last 9 holes etc. (So, for the special prizes, it will be best score for last round, then penultimate round, in the event of a tied placing.) WGT rules in full are here: http://www.wgt.com/help.aspx#ties [Needless to say, organizers decision will be final should one be needed]

PLAYERS: Open to all tiers, all levels. 

We'd like to get as big a field as possible, but most of all we want committed players who will get their games arranged and played each week. So, please spread the word amongst Friends and CC members. Deadline for Entries: Sep 30, 2012. ENTRIES NOW CLOSED.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

ENTRANTS:
    [all are linked to their profile so that you can most easily WallPost, and Friend if necessary, to schedule your matches.]

1. Corwyn
    2. CerinoDevoti
    3. CornerPocket30
    4. strawbridgemicha
    5. billcliff
    6. Kurtsbuford
    7. cmdking
    8. TeeWade
    9. franbo
    10. malcolm1963
    11. Bfghd
    12. mraxelrod
    13. Dazza501
    14. limifer
    15. Hanswurst72
    16. hyena64
    17. TonyTurbo78
    18. oneeyedjohn
    19. hobbe95
    20. andreap
    21. woodoworkery

22. Macduff10
    23. alosso
    24. ColumbusStorm
    25. Spino1
    26. Undertaker3663

PAIRINGS:

As half the field are at Legend or Tour Legend tier level, I've tried to pair each of them with lower tiered players, so hopefully we all get to meet new people, and perhaps learn from each other. I'm hoping some lower tier players get to learn from the legends of the game, and in turn perhaps surprise a few of them with their proficiency with the hickory sticks...

I've tried to translate everyone's entries on the submission form for time zone and normal playing time into WGT Time, i.e. San Francisco's PST in order to work out who can play with whom in this global tourney. See this pic [updated again] for 1st 18-hole pairings (and their rationale): green color indicates what I calculated to be each person's playing window. If I got it wrong, please say so now

1st & 2nd 18-HOLE PAIRINGS:

mraxelrod and TeeWade   [1st & 2nd round completed]

Dazza501 and hyena64   [1st & 2nd round completed]

CornerPocket30 and Hanswurst72   [1st & 2nd round completed]

Macduff10 and ColumbusStorm   [1st & 2nd round completed]

CerinoDevoti and  Spino1  [1st & 2nd round completed]

oneeyedjohn and Corwyn  [1st & 2nd  round completed]

woodoworkery and alosso   [1st & 2nd round completed]

strawbridgemicha and  billcliff   [1st & 2nd round completed]

franbo and limifer   [1st & 2nd round completed] 

Kurtsbuford   [1st & 2nd round completed]

Bfghd and cmdking   [1st & 2nd round completed]

malcolm1963 and  Undertaker3663  [1st round completed]

hobbe95andreap and TonyTurbo78 [unable to play; disqualified]

Please schedule your 1st Round matches for next week, any time from Mon 10/1 onwards until Sun 10/7.

Let's stick with same playing partners for 2nd Round matches, so feel free to get those rounds arranged anytime between Mon 10/08 onwards until Sun 10/14.

3rd Round partners to come from players within a few shots/places of yourself: 

I would like us to try and mix things up for the last 2 rounds. Please look at the LEADERBOARD and see who is within a few places of you (up or down). Then consult the TIME AVAILABILITY CHART and see if any of those players match your available playing time, and connect and play away.

I know there may be hiccups in getting this to work, but I'd like to give it a try this week. And if we need to use volunteer markers that would be fine too.

Let's please use this forum thread as a way of saying when we're available, if you're scheduled successfully, or if you're having particular difficulties arranging your round. And if you really need to, it's OK to play with your same partner as in the last 2 weeks.

Thanks,
    Corwyn

-----------------------------

for example: try and hook up with someone in your group if possible

1st group would be: Hanswurst72   //   Cmdking   //   Kurtsbuford   //   CerinoDevoti

2nd group: Corwyn   //   Macduff10   //   ColumbusStorm   //   oneeyedjohn  //  Dazza501   //   Franbo

3rd group: CornerPocket30  //  strawbridgemicha  //  alosso  //  Spino1  //  bfghd  //  Woodoworkery  //  TeeWade

4th group: limifer  //  billcliff  //  Mraxelrod  //  hyena64

Remaining players to play in 3rd round: (as at Mon 10/22, extended deadline to finish 3rd round, midnight Tue 10/23):

Franbo  //  CornerPocket30  //  bfghd   //  limifer 

4th and Final Round: Olympic:

Player pairings: (based on Leaderboard position):

Hans and Colm (cmdking);

Buffers (Kurtsbuford) and Cerino;

Corwyn and Macduff10;

John (oneeyedjohn) and Russ (ColumbusStorm);

strawbridgemicha and alosso;

TeeWade and Spino1;

Woodoworkery and billcliff;

Mraxelrod and hyena64

plus tba for any of remaining 4 players above still to complete 3rd round

4th Round Posting link here (Olympic)

[*edit 9/21: course conditions added.]
    [*edit 9/27: prizes and posting clarifications added.] 
    [*edit 9/28: first 18 entrants listed, and their 1st round pairings set] 
    [*edit 9/29: entrants 19-24 added; will set their partners once all playing time data in]
    [*edit 9/30: playing partners set for entrants 19-24]
    [*edit 10/1 & 10/2: special prize info added; entry list now final with 2 late additions and one revised pairing] 
    [*edit 10/6: update of pairings and 1st round progress] 
    [*edit 10/8:  progress update and 2nd round score submission link added] 
    [*edit 10/13: progress update and Overall leaderboard link added]
    [* edit 10/16: added 3rd round playing partner pools, and 3rd Round score submission link] 
    [*edit 10/22: added 4th round player pairings, and 4th Round score submission link] 

---------------------------------------------

Here are the FINAL STANDINGS for the Tourney:

1st Place: Hanswurst72                             276     -6

Tied for 2nd: Corwyn & Kurtsbuford       292     +10

4th Place: CerinoDevoti                             293      +11

Greens in Regulation prize: Hanswurst72     70.8%

Closest to the Pin prize: Hanswurst72           21.7 ft

Prizes:

1st: Hanswurst72 (1,500 credits worth)

Tied for 2nd: Corwyn & Kurtsbuford
    (they split the 2nd and 3rd prize combined: i.e. 750 credits worth each) 

GIR prize: Hanswurst72 (750 credits worth, generously donated by MioKontic)

Ave. Distance to the Pin Prize: Hanswurst72 (750 credits worth, generously donated by MioKontic)

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 3:55 PM

Also, just a reminder to switch out your Starters after your rounds back to your fancy clubs. We don't want anyone finding themselves under-equipped in a high-stakes Ready-Go...

And, don't forget because it's in Practice Mode, playing this Tournament won't affect any of your averages!

------------------------------------------

As well as final Front 9 & Back 9 scorecard snapshots, you'll need to remember to take full screen shots on your 2nd shot on the 18th on any of the last five holes, as well as on the Green, to verify Uneven Lies, and other conditions.

There will also be special prizes for most Greens in Regulation, and Closest Distance to the Pin, so do include that data when you post scores on the form for each round)

Score Posting Link: 1st Round

POSTING YOUR SCORES :: SCREENSHOT EXAMPLES

Here are example screenshots you'll need to capture from your rounds (obviously your ones will show 2 golfers, and the 90 second clock):

Approach shot (from 18th, or any of the last 5 holes):

Greenshot (from 18th, or any of the last 5 holes):

Scorecard (Front and Back 9):

... and finally, Stats showing Greens in Regulation and Distance to the Pin:

Score Posting Link: 1st Round

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 5:26 PM

This thing has me written all over it. Hey, it does have my name on it. ;-)

For those players that entered the Starter Club and Ball Tourney a couple of months ago this is a little bit harder. I fell back in love with the starter clubs and this uneven lie test has been a real thrill to me. The shots are tough as nails but the satisfaction level from hitting just a couple perfect benders with the starters that lay up close to the hole has me coming back for more. Like in Open play par is a good valuable score on any hole.

We're looking for players from all Tiers to give it a go and also to add to statistics that will be presented to WGT by Tier level so they can have an honest look at what the uneven lies play does to scores as well as enjoyment levels. To Legends and Tour Legends reading this your participation is crucial to the statistics presentation. If your Tiers play under a standard of play that would be expected from the starter clubs then the uneven lies will need to be addressed per Tier. Greens in regulation will be a crucial factor to the competitive balance of uneven lies. Hacks and amateurs don't be shy. We need your scores in the stats as well and it's just as crucial. If you're playing with the starters all the time then please enter. We'll all be playing the same clubs and ball. We're all in the same situation. It's anyone's game.

Overall fun should be the goal of entry for all players. It's 4 rounds that won't use up any ball life or dirty your best irons.

• CornerPocket30
    1 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:53 AM

This is awesome - been looking for something like this. Thanks for the invite!

• Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2012 6:07 AM

I love the idea and would participate in case some others do so too. Hello everybody?? This should be a blast!

Cheers, hans

• strawbridgemicha
    1,170 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2012 7:53 AM

Hi,i have signed up, and put it on my club forum page, and will make a club tourny as well. Micha

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2012 3:46 PM

Wonderful! Great to have you on board, Hans and Micha. 

Please do spread the word. The more the merrier!

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2012 9:20 PM

I know I've no chance in hell of winning lol but man it sounds like fun. I'd like to get in on this as well. Thanks

• franbo
    105 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2012 9:23 PM

Yreh I wuld like to give it a goas well

• pjctas0822
    4,550 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2012 9:34 PM

Is there a way to know what equipment is actually being used or is this going on an honor system amongst the players ?

Just curious because  the scorecards dont show what equipment is used and I hate to say this but there are dishonest people out there and that would totally ruin this awesome idea.

RSS