Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open

Mon, Nov 12 2012 1:35 PM (333 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 12:07 PM

alosso:
    Is there any means to find out the closest to the pin (which I don't see in the game stats), or was this only a general indication of additional prizes?

Hi alosso, 

We're going to assign Mio's kind offer towards the special prizes: 750 credits for best Greens in Regulation percentage, and 750 credits for Closest Distance to the Pin average.

The Distance to the Pin stat is to be found in the Approach and Chipping tab in Stats at the end of the round.

See the 2nd post in the thread for screenshot examples to see what I mean, or the same pic below, where I got a not-so-impressive 56% GIR and 28.3ft average distance away:

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:35 PM

Ah - lowest average - I failed to think of that. I rather thought of a "shortest to the pin" in an individual shot, like in some real tourneys.

Thanks for clarifying!

• Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:57 PM

Guess my opponent even started crying before the Ryder Cup started lol, not online since a week or so...

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 3:42 PM

Missed this all  together , if u need a reserve ! and whoever i play with doesnt mind posting the cards etc

stu

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 4:35 PM

Hanswurst72:
    Guess my opponent even started crying before the Ryder Cup started lol, not online since a week or so..

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Hans...

Don't forget that your pairing is with a playing partner, not an opponent! This is strokeplay over 4 rounds. Hopefully each of our playing partners can inspire us to better scores, and we can all learn from each other. Yes, we're competing, but only against the whole field.

(Also, if it seems your playing partner is inactive recently, it might just be that they're spending all their time playing practice rounds with the Uneven Lies!)

Hope you're all getting your 1st rounds scheduled...

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 4:37 PM

alosso:

Ah - lowest average - I failed to think of that. I rather thought of a "shortest to the pin" in an individual shot, like in some real tourneys.

Thanks for clarifying!

GIR and average distance to the pin is the indicator of approach shot proficiency. With the uneven lies, this is the indicator of whether the player has adapted to the lies and gotten on the green and how far away from the pin the approach shots are coming to a rest. Our scores are going to be a direct result of these two numbers. These two stats are what we're going to be giving to WGT for their consideration in any adjustments to be made to the uneven lies.

We want awards attached to GIR and ave to the pin so our players have to balance going for it against the penalty of missing the greens. This is going to be the "Tough it out" part of the Tourney. Sometimes laying up is the smarter move but knowing it's going to effect our GIR is what we have to wrestle with when it's a toss up. There's going to be several holes on RSG where we can't even reach the green in reg unless we have wind at our backs or we've got guts of steel. Attacking the par 3's I've come to learn is the best way to lower our scores. Even then with the wind it's a challenge holding greens with the starters.Putting lights out is the only way to defeat this uneven game.

Great luck to all the players. It's not going to be easy so play smart and steady and embrace "old man par". He'll be your best friend in the end. :-)

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 4:39 PM

SPINO1:

Missed this all  together , if u need a reserve ! and whoever i play with doesnt mind posting the cards etc

stu

Hi Stu,

Sorry you missed the deadline. We might be able to add you in as a reserve. Right now we have the right number of pairs, and people whose time availability appears to match up.

But if you could fill in the entry form anyway, so that we know your availability, we'll see if anyone falls out, or is unresponsive in scheduling.

Thanks for your interest!

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 5:50 PM

Corwyn:

Hanswurst72:
    Guess my opponent even started crying before the Ryder Cup started lol, not online since a week or so..

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Hans...

Don't forget that your pairing is with a playing partner, not an opponent! This is strokeplay over 4 rounds. Hopefully each of our playing partners can inspire us to better scores, and we can all learn from each other. Yes, we're competing, but only against the whole field.

(Also, if it seems your playing partner is inactive recently, it might just be that they're spending all their time playing practice rounds with the Uneven Lies!)

Hope you're all getting your 1st rounds scheduled...

I may have misunderstood the rules of this tournament the same way Hans has. I thought it was a straight knockout matchplay format. To be honest i think most of the entrants thought it was a matchplay knockout.

Why even bother pairing us with someone when we could find our own playing partner. I've been drawn with someone who's nowhere near my timezone and it's pretty difficult to arrange times to play. If it's strokeplay can't i just play my round with someone on my timezone? Like Hans for example.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 10:08 PM

DAZZA501:

I may have misunderstood the rules of this tournament the same way Hans has. I thought it was a straight knockout matchplay format. To be honest i think most of the entrants thought it was a matchplay knockout.

Why even bother pairing us with someone when we could find our own playing partner. I've been drawn with someone who's nowhere near my timezone and it's pretty difficult to arrange times to play. If it's strokeplay can't i just play my round with someone on my timezone? Like Hans for example.

Hi Dazza,

Please accept my apologies if anything was unclear. My understanding was that the convention is to set out all the tournament rules in the opening post. I tried to make it clear that we were talking about a 72-hole event mimicking a real Major, with 4 rounds of 18 at 2 US and 2 British Open courses, in which we had playing partners, and no cut, and that we'd play with as large a field of committed players as wanted to enter (i.e. not restricted to 8, 16, 32, or 64 as would be needed for a knockout tourney).  

Did anyone else misunderstand what they were signing up for? If you need to withdraw (for any reason), that's OK, just please do it via this thread and not leave us having to chase people. Thanks!

From my reading of other community tourneys, it seems that leaving it up to entrants to find their own playing partner is a frequent cause of a tourney stagnating. I've gone to considerable effort to pair people up based on stated criteria, and on the information provided (which granted, is not as complete as would be ideal). Time zone alone is immaterial: there is a wide range of playing times within each person's time zone. Hence I provided this grid (referenced in the first post) which I asked all players to check was an accurate estimation. We have 11 different time zones represented by our 24 players who can only play at just about every permutation of morning, afternoon, evening, night, weekends only, weekdays only etc. If you have a better suggestion for how to make this work for everyone, I'd love to hear it.

As stated in the opening post, I determined first round pairings with the further criteria of putting people together who won't necessarily know each other: 1) so that our friendships may grow, 2) so that those in the top echelon can share knowledge with the rising players, and may even learn something from them about shot-making with the basic clubs, and that lower-tiered players are highly likely to learn from the very best.

This is my first time running a tourney, and I'm learning on the job. I now know that gathering more specific data on playing times would have made my job easier. Further, I realize that one of the challenges of Mio's summer tourney was that it seemed to involve an enormous amount of cajoling on Mio's part to get players to organize their games. Scanning through our pairings, I see that almost everyone has WallPosted their playing partner or sent a Friend request. That's wonderful! I am counting on people's active commitment to this tourney, and hoping that I can spend a lot less time administrating and more time practicing as we get underway.

That's a mighty long spiel… Now I'm going off to play some golf!

--------------------------------------------

[Opening post has all the rules for the tourney, along with the playing partners, and the link to submit scores. The 2nd post in the thread has examples of the screenshots you'll need to capture and share in this thread after each round]

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 11:25 PM

Four rounds strokeplay, that was clearly stated and understood. My former question was superfluous - all explained in post #2. You're doing a gr8 job, Corwyn!

As for Hans, I'd like to step up in his defence since the wording by the Rules is very sensible and full of traps. Opponent, competitor (Gegner, Mitbewerber in German) - a foreigner may easily mix them up.

German starter lists may errantly name "matches" in strokeplay, and I once created a running gag when, on my first round with some English friends, I offered
    "to operate the flag" (we say "bedienen" - tend or operate...)

RSS