Forums

Help › Forums

Hardest shot in the game?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 26 2010 6:00 AM (31 replies)
  • garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 1:04 PM

Complex, in answer to your question."How di I do a full swing with half power"

Most of your clubs you have the choice of full, punch, chip, pitch, and some clubs flop also.  A full swing with half power only means, select the full setting but only use half of the meter.  Example of what Joey said, the 64 taylor wedge is a 50 yard full club, half meter would take it in the area of around 25.

Gary

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 2:37 PM

I've always just done a half meter, stater lob wedge pitch shot.  Hope that helps.

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 10:02 PM

garyk49:

Complex, in answer to your question."How di I do a full swing with half power"

Most of your clubs you have the choice of full, punch, chip, pitch, and some clubs flop also.  A full swing with half power only means, select the full setting but only use half of the meter.  Example of what Joey said, the 64 taylor wedge is a 50 yard full club, half meter would take it in the area of around 25.

Gary

So it would seem. Most of the more successful masters on here seem to favor hitting every shot at full power. It would seem the game is somehow bent on this method. I've been very successful on flop shots just learning the when and how of the club. I've noticed that when you hit a wedge at half power it usually comes up short of the expected yardage.

To truly master this game is to learn how to hit each club.. not just blast it all full power. I'm a long way from that.. and so are a majority of "masters" on here. For many of them this is the only outlet for them to fancy themselves as an icon. People are generally lame like that. Find some clubs that you enjoy and learn how to hit them. Nevermind the constant bickering of WGT sycophants. It will take time. That's the best thing about this game. The learning process. You'll never learn much from FAQs and quasi-intellectuals barking at you who are only looking for esteem.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 4:58 AM

smason77:
    You'll never learn much from FAQs and quasi-intellectuals barking at you who are only looking for esteem.

But you do learn from those that have been there and done that. I think a couple of great veterans here at WGT might take issue with the silly reference to the FAQs. Iconian didn't pull the Chip and Pitch Tips out of his rear and Nivlac (WGTNiv) didn't invent the Putting Tips-he just mastered them and both of these fine golfers chose to share their experience with anybody that chooses to read the FAQs.

That's what defines a Master-not just your average but your humility and willingness to share.

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 7:02 AM

smason77:
    You'll never learn much from FAQs and quasi-intellectuals barking at you who are only looking for esteem.
    smason77:
    For many of them this is the only outlet for them to fancy themselves as an icon. People are generally lame like that.

Sorry Mason but I don't find those that are trying to help others as being lame. On the other hand, those that criticize freely, usually have their own agenda.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 9:36 AM

Thats part of the game of golf that I absolutely love, sometimes there is no perfect shot that will work, aside from holing it on a hop or directly in the hole.

I love that aspect of the game, and I love watching on TV on courses that I am familiar with over the years when the player leaves it in a spot, the announces pounce on how hard a shot they will have, and then watching the player make a decision on how to play it.  Thats a side to the game that true fans of the sport love. 

I think WGt does a great job with this game to imitate some of those scenarios.

Hardest shot for me, approach to BPB #15 from over 170yds out. 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 10:24 AM

StrangeMagic:
    Sorry Mason but I don't find those that are trying to help others as being lame. On the other hand, those that criticize freely, usually have their own agenda.

Agree... but then again, perhaps it's just another drunken tirade screaming for attention?

It takes all kinds.

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 10:59 AM

Please, let's not allow this thread turn into a place to air out personal grievances.

Stay civil and on-topic, or the thread will be locked.

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 6:10 PM

Snaike:

StrangeMagic:

Agree... but then again, perhaps it's just another drunken tirade screaming for attention?

It takes all kinds.

Snaike doesn't believe that i'm entitled to my own opinion. As a matter of fact it offends him.. not my opinion per se.. just the fact that I have one. LOL.

Regarding FAQs. (trying to be on topic here);

In life you can tell people how, what, where, when and why to do things. Such as the FAQs do (in regard to actual game play.) Not many humans learn from "advice". A rare few. The more sharp of the bunch have the ability to learn by observation. Yet, after all is said in done; the best teacher in life is experience. Indubitably.

I would agree that the approach at BPB 15 is probably the hardest shot in the game.. and i've learned a great deal from a few posts on here. It has helped me quite a bit.. and i'm able to get my approaches much closer because of this and at least par the hole on occasion. What i'm still lacking is the experience. In time I may learn to birdie this hole on occasion.

Humans seldom learn by word of mouth or post. That's simply the ultimate point I was trying to make. The learning process is IN the game play; the experience of it. Not in the FAQs. That's MY opinion. Nothing more. Sorry SNAIKE. I know you hate that! lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 14 2010 4:55 AM

smason77:
    I would agree that the approach at BPB 15 is probably the hardest shot in the game.. and i've learned a great deal from a few posts on here.

smason77:
    Humans seldom learn by word of mouth or post

Which one is it? AvatarLee helped a huge number of players simply by posting his replay of that hole back when. There are a few posters here that warrant reading just because of who they are. Iconian, ncviz, ALee, Bollux to name a few.

To think you can't learn from reading is ludicrous. To think word of mouth doesn't help is even more absurd. I haven't spent a dime in advertising in 15 years of cabinetmaking because of the word of mouth. Posting takes the place of this for obvious reasons and nothing is more valuable than listening to experience. Try it.

RSS