Forums

Help › Forums

Hardest shot in the game?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 26 2010 6:00 AM (31 replies)
  • ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2010 11:53 PM

I've managed to master most of the shot in this game but the one that I can never get quite right is the following situation:

About 6-7 yards off the green in the rough maybe with the terrain sloping upwards to the edge of the green. Then the green slopes down to a pin that's only about 4-5 yards on.

This sort of situation comes up once or twice a round and it costs me shots. Here's the options as I see them:

Chip shot - no good, will snag

Pitch shot - will not stop fast enough once on the green

Flop shot - this has the best chance but unless you can judge the ball to land right on the edge of the green it will either snag in the rough or roll 10ft past.

As far as I can see, there's no way of playing a 15-20 yard shot that will stick fast when it lands. The flop shot should be able to do this, but even at full power, master wedges and full backspin it still rolls on a fair way.

Am I doing anything wrong?

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 12:47 AM

Try a 64W with a full swing, half power and full bs.  

Joey

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 4:39 AM

I would suggest not ending up there in the first place!! If you were to attempt to play that shot in RL you would have the same issues.

On here I would probably hit a flop full backspin about 2 yards short and then accept the uphill putt back. That shot would depend on the lie of course, 15/20 and fairway ok anything else you accept a dropped shot unless you get luck and hit the pin.

But that kind of shot is like playing out of the bunker on the left hand side of the green at 15 on Beth. Its best just not to be there.

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 5:09 AM

Thanks Joey

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I do a full swing with half power?

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 5:12 AM

Thanks Paul

Perhaps it is the hardest shot in the game then!

Perhaps I should open the floor and ask for others' suggestions on contenders for 'Hardest shot in the game'?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 5:16 AM

ComplexP:

This is the shot, you're just doing it wrong. A properly executed chip will not snag in even 50% rough. I would use my 77 yd wedge which chips 11 yds. Full backspin will slow it down a bit but there's no question it will get on the green. Do not try to use a less than 75% swing with this shot.

The flop shot also works quite well. Yes, it does roll at the end but you don't have to hit full strength with that shot and the backspin will slow it down.

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 5:23 AM

YankeeJim:

ComplexP:

This is the shot, you're just doing it wrong. A properly executed chip will not snag in even 50% rough. I would use my 77 yd wedge which chips 11 yds. Full backspin will slow it down a bit but there's no question it will get on the green. Do not try to use a less than 75% swing with this shot.

The flop shot also works quite well. Yes, it does roll at the end but you don't have to hit full strength with that shot and the backspin will slow it down.

So basically, you take a lower loft wedge and bump the ball forward harder and flatter relying on the rough taking the pace out of the ball? Could work... I'll have to try it.

I ahve also noticed that going for 50% power on a chip is a big no no since it seems to just die off very quickly.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 5:26 AM

ComplexP:

So basically, you take a lower loft wedge and bump the ball forward harder and flatter relying on the rough taking the pace out of the ball? Could work... I'll have to try it.

I ahve also noticed that going for 50% power on a chip is a big no no since it seems to just die off very quickly.

Now you're talking! Think of it this way. The rough is going to grab your club and slow it down. More power is needed to overcome this. On the fringe a chip will work fine at partial power but as soon as you get into the rough that changes. Take a full swing and trust it-you'll see. Then it becomes a matter of picking the right wedge. GL

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 12:13 PM

I took your advice and got the the result that can be seen on my profile entitled 'Chip with a 7 iron'

Worked quite well I think.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 12:25 PM

Yes it did, in that case. However, you got away with one there.

Normally you don't want to chip in a situation where the first bounce is not on the fringe or green. That was all fairway in front and it was hard enough to get through so it worked but a better shot to use there would have been a flop or pitch. Save your chips for when you're closer to the green. 

RSS