• AlaskanDame
    18,967 Posts
    Sat, Oct 5 2019 3:10 AM

+1000

• jacktrade51
    10,901 Posts
    Sat, Oct 5 2019 6:05 AM

bossbird:
    I don’t particularly have a problem with high winds , but when with the best clubs and a half decent ball , I still can’t reach the green in three at a par 5 at St. Andrews , then there is no hope for those not as fortunate as me with their own clubs.

I agree with the sentiment.  Give me a 30 mph head wind, I have trouble reaching green on St. A #14 in 3, so it's really a par 6, roll with it.  Hope for the par.  It happened to me 2x in the clash.  On the other hand, I got a 30 mph tail wind on the same hole; I had a 5 iron into the green on the 2nd shot and, but for a sloppy putt, had the eagle.

My problem with high winds is we don't get the same wind.  I understand the reason why:  I would have no problem sending out a sacrificial lamb (or being it) to report back the winds to every other member in the club.  But it can still make a 3 club difference on the approach shot and luck becomes too big a factor.

Tom.

• Kenbo00
    434 Posts
    Sat, Oct 5 2019 6:15 AM

I honestly don't care what conditions the WGT wants to throw at everyone during the clash. But hurricane winds make the clash to much of a grind after 10 rounds. So what's the point? Isn't the clash supposed to be fun? Make it hard but fun... I'll play. Make it hard and sucky, I won't. We can all decide for ourselves. Even in the top clash clubs... you're going to have your usual group that will play no matter what. But the lower half that doesn't play much will just not play. That's why you see the top team win with 350k one clash, then 250k the next. Well... it is also because the second place team is zero threat, so no need to spend money on passes and balls.

To each his or her own.

• jacktrade51
    10,901 Posts
    Sat, Oct 5 2019 3:40 PM

Kenbo00:
    I honestly don't care what conditions the WGT wants to throw at everyone during the clash. But hurricane winds make the clash to much of a grind after 10 rounds. So what's the point? Isn't the clash supposed to be fun? Make it hard but fun... I'll play. Make it hard and sucky, I won't. We can all decide for ourselves. Even in the top clash clubs... you're going to have your usual group that will play no matter what. But the lower half that doesn't play much will just not play.

+1 on the thought.

In Black Diamond GC, clash participation is voluntary.  And there is no doubt we lose players with high winds, both in total number of participants and the # of rounds some play.  When it's a grind, players opt out.  I don't understand why WGT doesn't get that.

RSS