Forums

Help › Forums

Re: *** Downtime tonight 5/28/19 ***

Fri, May 31 2019 2:48 PM (46 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2019 7:47 AM

kavvz:
    Then I'd ask is there *really* a difference between removing something, slapping a new skin on it and adding it vs. slapping a new skin on it, changing a variable or 2, and adding it?

Actually you stated the difference:

"changing a variable or 2"  (distance, precision, spin, forgiveness, shaping, meter, etc.)

Anyway, the hoopla about "new clubs" is really about new looks at a higher price.  I don't expect the virtual clubs to change drastically in performance any more than I expect RL clubs to change drastically.

The only exception I see to that is that meter speed is a totally made-up attribute to raise the price on a virtual club.  For example, if a club with the "best" distance, precision, etc., jumped the meter from 3.5 to 5.0 in an upgrade, I would be interested!

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2019 7:55 AM

kavvz:

But giving more options in the bag has been talked about and beat to death around here.

Another example of what you're saying -- I'd ditch the PW for a 52 if I could in a heartbeat, who wouldn't.  

I guess I have not seen all of those threads, but I don't try to read everything.

The 52 vs PW is not quite the same as substituting a 5wd for a 3wd.  The PW is currently included within the iron set and an entirely different request and adjustment to how the iron packages are sold and placed in the bag.  

Adding reasonable yardage to the hybrid, offering a 5wd is likely still been discussed, but I just haven't seen all of the discussions.

The example you gave would seem much more difficult to introduce, whereas these other examples are far less so given how easily we have seen yardages tweaked for clubs on the mobile platform.  

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2019 8:56 AM

DoctorLarry:

kavvz:
    Then I'd ask is there *really* a difference between removing something, slapping a new skin on it and adding it vs. slapping a new skin on it, changing a variable or 2, and adding it?

Actually you stated the difference:

"changing a variable or 2"  (distance, precision, spin, forgiveness, shaping, meter, etc.)

So that's what people want then?  They want and will pay for marginal attribute enhancements that in practice won't make the ball go much further, but won't pay for a skin that makes the club look like a RL club..

TBH, I'm more inclined to pay for the latter because I like golf and would think its kind of cool to hit what Rory hits -- even though its virtual.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2019 10:30 AM

kavvz:
    By that logic, after the 1st club was added back when WGT became WGT, there really hasn't been anything new added ever.

That is just not true. If the attributes are different then it's a different club.  If wgt take a club away and bring out a "new" one with exactly the same attributes but a higher price, that's a price hike.  But wgt don't increase the price on clubs so it's a new club, apparently.

kavvz:
    I don't need to tell ya, but maybe I do... they are virtual clubs there's no re-inventing taking place. 

Reinvent: to produce something new that is based on something that already exists:

:To change something in a basic way so that it works differently:

You are certainly right with reference to the recent updates.

kavvz:

Yes, but you accidentally missed and raising the price.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2019 11:47 AM

To be fair, what wgt are doing is the same as real life. I tested the TM M1 compared to the TM M5 a few weeks ago.They went the same distance. TM M5 is a lot more money than the M1 ever was though.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2019 1:09 PM

That seems to be some sort of serious issue for some around here -- new things costing more.  WTF is that all about?  Wouldn't want TM or WGT to try to capitalize on people being interested in what the pros play that would just be off the wall nuts.  Why do companies even bother to sponsor pro athletes.  Tell ya what Tiger...We've got this great new driver coming out, but you keep using the 4 year old one and let's see how many of the new one's we can sell.  

What I'm gathering is @Dodgy..

Is you'd be ok if they simply added the M5's, but left the M2's in the pro shop?

-or-

You'd be ok if they replaced the M2's with the M5's, charged more and made the club a bit better?

Or maybe both?

If so, then consider maybe they just can't do that.  Maybe TM says no, put our new stuff up and take down the old (see 1st paragraph for reasons why).  Maybe the proshop has a limit on how many clubs there can be.  Maybe this and that and the other thing are why.

One thing's for sure is that it's really easy to criticize when you don't know all the facts.

I'm checkin' out -- this is going nowhere.

cheers!

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2019 2:48 PM

kavvz:

So that's what people want then?  They want and will pay for marginal attribute enhancements that in practice won't make the ball go much further, but won't pay for a skin that makes the club look like a RL club..

TBH, I'm more inclined to pay for the latter because I like golf and would think its kind of cool to hit what Rory hits -- even though its virtual.

I don't know what others want and I am not disagreeing with you.  I think you and Dodgy both have some good points.

I don't care what it looks like if I can't hold it in my hand.

RSS