Forums

Help › Forums

Re: wow i just got dropped back to pro

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:58 PM (35 replies)
  • gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 10:15 AM

Hello everyone. I just wanted to put in my two cents on this topic.

Players on WGT will sandbag and try to earn prizes by winning tournaments on a lower tier. That's been established for months and months. I have been on this site for almost two months, and no matter how hard I try in tournaments, I don't play well. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing the game. Of course I want to buy the 275 yd driver some day and improve all my equipment and average 57. But right now I average just under 71 and that's where my skill level is. And I'm fine with that. I play to learn and improve, and not to worry about upgrading from pro tier to master tier. Because as much as I'd like to play in the master tier, I'm not ready. And when I'm ready, I will upgrade to master tier. But no matter what, I'm still going to enjoy playing.

That means there's something wrong about this game. Because it's very hard to improve and eventually succeed with clubs that can't let you hit a 500 yard par 4 in two. And I don't really want to play in tournaments because they're inadequate and not realistic at all. I enjoy playing a couple rounds a day and playing with my friends and maybe just going to multiplayer mode and shooting a round with some guys who could live thousands of miles away but who's just as good as me. As well, I'm not going to spend my money on credits, however cheap, because for once in my life I can play a game that's FREE and very realistic.

It's a very fine line choosing between earning credits in tournaments and just playing for the hell of it. It's the decision many skilled golfers make: playing for the love of golf or playing for the money. And I'm not saying it's easy, but WGT certainly doesn't make it any easier. They force people to pay or play against people who average 10 strokes better than you to upgrade from a 225 yard driver to a 230 yard driver. There are many obvious issues with WGT, but very few of them concern gameplay. That's why I play on this site. Thank you.

gaoerfuqiu

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 5:38 PM

Hi all.  First time I’ve posted a message so here it goes.  I started playing during the 2009 US Open and got hooked.  Admittedly I don’t play enough to compete with the best but can hold my own in the Pro division.  What I would like to see is more emphases placed on good play instead of upgrading equipment to play better.  Practice is great, but we all know you can simply play better if you pay for better equipment.  And although that is also true in real golf, the guys that are shooting 16 or 18 just doesn’t feel right to me.  Hey, the best guys are going to win no matter what…but WGT should keep the scoring closer to real golf.  A 59 should be rear, not something you shoot every time.  
    OK, let me have it (0:\

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 5:50 PM

I meant 16 or 18 under in last post.

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 6:58 PM

Joeyola:

And although that is also true in real golf, the guys that are shooting 16 or 18 [under] just doesn’t feel right to me.  Hey, the best guys are going to win no matter what…but WGT should keep the scoring closer to real golf.  A 59 should be rear, not something you shoot every time.  

Actually... believe it or not, I completely agree with you... the new clubs (for Masters) have gone a bit too far (pardon the pun).  The distances have increased, but the accuracy has remained the same, which was way too high to begin with.  

Now that's not to say I will not go out there and shoot the best I can with the best equipment... of course I will, but it is moving away from reality.

Lee

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 7:16 PM

i agree.. either increase the hole length's or cap club at 190 max;)

i think make them longer is better;)

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:58 PM

I actually with AvatarLee's quote about.  I have found that the accuracy for the driver is better than most.  I liked having to hit longer clubs in the green.  I actually faired better with the shorter clubs because I was able to make a lot of long putts now everybody can get it close on every hole out there besides 5 and 15 at bethpage.   Which equivocates to much lower scores.  I do enjoy the occasional 55 or 56 but I know that it is far from realistic.  The only other problem is that many of the top tier players are over 500-600 rounds on only two courses.  They know the breaks, the places to land it, much like a home course.  As a former professional golfer once you played a courses thirty to fourty times you could tear it up.  I have seen your average tour pro shoot in the fifties multiple times on their home courses.  So it is very possible to see these scores in unlimited play tournies.

RSS