Re: Learning Pinehurst-tips to share

Tue, Aug 12 2014 7:46 AM (29 replies)
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, May 25 2014 12:22 AM

WigerToods2010:
    Bit disappointing to see so few contributing pointers to YJ's original post

I agree...

I will add after YJ posted this thread and I saw the slopes he mentioned, I used Chip or Pitch view (don't recall which) to look at where I wanted to land the ball...I didn't zoom in, but just read the colors for slope.

I tried to minimize down hill putts...which are my undoing) and stick to ramming them in from the low side.

I just happened to have one of those rounds that I executed 99% of the shots how I wanted them to be....but again, this was based on looking the approach shot over very carefully.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, May 25 2014 8:26 AM

WigerToods2010:
    L or R of pin I usually roll off leaving a 13/14 yard return - 90% /17yard pitch with full bs using my Clevey 64' (60 yards) gets me bang on distance wise every time without fail.

That pitch shot is a must to have at PH. Flops get you up and down every time but that pitch threatens to go in every time.  :-)

• Romax
    1,876 Posts
    Sun, May 25 2014 8:54 AM

I agree with the pitch shot Jim. It's my favorite anyway, but really works on PH. I had a CC vs CC match awhile back and couldn't find the green to save my azz, but pitched in the bird on 5 and 8 to win it. I use 64 Cleveland and usually fbs depending on distance and slope.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, May 25 2014 3:52 PM

Romax:
    I use 64 Cleveland and usually fbs depending on distance and slope.  

Me too and I think one of the reasons the pitch gets eschewed for the flop is that players are afraid of it running away. That fbs stops that travel and makes it really easy to trust the shot. With the 33 Callaway ball and the CG 64W, the pitch goes 17 on flat and stops with fbs. Releasing that spin a little at a time changes that 17 to 18, 19 etc. No spin flat it goes 21. Pinehurst green roll-offs wind up 7-16 yards away so you only have one shot to learn to get it in the hole from those positions. The more you use it, the easier it gets.  :-)

p.s., Works like a champ from traps, too.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, May 25 2014 5:10 PM

YankeeJim:

I found it better not to be in them;)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, May 25 2014 5:35 PM

MBaggese:

YankeeJim:

I found it better not to be in them;)

Ya, well us common folk don't always have the luxury of avoiding them.  :-P

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, May 26 2014 9:22 AM

YankeeJim:

WigerToods2010:
    L or R of pin I usually roll off leaving a 13/14 yard return - 90% /17yard pitch with full bs using my Clevey 64' (60 yards) gets me bang on distance wise every time without fail.

That pitch shot is a must to have at PH. Flops get you up and down every time but that pitch threatens to go in every time.  :-)

*Faints* ........ We agree on something?!?!? That'll be a first, eh?... lmao

MBaggese:
    I use the rear view to adjust wind there, based off player view.

MB, 

Just want to say thanks again. I've taken your advice and applied it to ALL my shots now, whilst adding what I've been using up to this point in time.

Have to say I've been here 4 years come June 1st and I've been misreading most greens all this time!

Cheers!

Johnny.

*Carry on chaps

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Tue, May 27 2014 6:02 PM

WigerToods2010:

Struggling with #2 regards the best camera option for approach to allow for the wind - usually left with approx (wind dependant) 220/240ish yards to go. 

Anyone?

WT, curse you for getting me fooling around with the problem, lol. Below is the reverse green view that others have recommended (as do I).

Know you've gotten responses but I got to playing around with reverse view; select Chip or Pitch shot type, right-click on aiming point and Zoom-in, then left-click on aiming point to show the pitch/chip 10 Yd square local contour map. Here I'm facing a 13 mph headwind, a bit left-right, so the initial aim point is ~3 yds short and left of pin (I add estimated wind ydg after initial aim).

Then I got to playing around with rough contour of green - classic Pinhurst #2  'turtleback' or 'crowned' green. From 220-ish it's downhill ~4 ft to top of flattish irregular crown area, with 3 distinct sharp down-sloped drainage regions indicated by the orange arrows I've added. 

In the Zoom-in mode you can make finer movements of the pitch-grid to 'tease out' the subtleties of the contours. I took care in moving the upper 3 grids to the point where elevation changed from -4ft to -5ft so the tip of the aiming 'dart' is at that -4.5 spot; that way I can re-aim in the game window to right 10yds feel out the 4.5 ft elev. point again, take a pic, shift it same way and and grab another shot etc. to 'stitch together' a good localized large area contour map. that's how I identified what call the 'Saddle' in front left (vewed from fairway)

It took a while to generate that map, as I had to refresh/reboot WGT several times - apparently I tripped WGT's  'somebody's casing the joint' sensors, lol. Do a solo ranked game and at least u can readily get back to the same lie in the fairway, for a given hole.

Oh yeah, I added 12 yards for windage, pulled out the Nike VF 3Iron (~232 yds no-spin flat ydg with my ball), dialed in wee bit of backspin for slight down elev to green, hit it full power ... dinged it (a rare event for me, lol) and ended up 5 ft from hole. 

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Wed, Jul 2 2014 2:40 PM

gr8flbob:
    WT, curse you for getting me fooling around with the problem, lol. Below is the reverse green view that others have recommended (as do I).

Wowsers! 

Firstly, 'Bob'.... apologies for not responding sooner - right now is the first I've noticed your post. 

Appreciate the trouble you've went to in creating the image above. My original prob' was the choice of camera to use when reading the wind.

MB pretty much gave me the pointer as to how to rectify that... when I 'ding' it works spot on for me.

I've also started to use the 'zoom' feature a lot more than I did previously (more so in solo games rather than multi player).

Solo rounds around PH2 have been my staple diet most days for a while now - they helped me big time in my attempt to qualify for the VUSO.  

If you take a peek at my profile page you'll see I've since added to my own original 'putter/shot pal' overlay and the addition now makes it easier(and gives a more accurate reading)  to see how much the wind direction does in fact change on certain holes throughout this game.

Always great to see someone go to the effort to help a fellow player - tyvm once again.

Regards,

Johnny.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Aug 12 2014 7:46 AM

YankeeJim:

This may be something WGT added as it doesn't seem to jive with where the sun is. Note the last picture-the sun is to the left as indicated by the tree shadows but the slope still shows dark in spite of facing the sun.  :-)

Gary's observations on green  slopes for PH F9.

Montoya plight & observations on Pinehurst,

including some input from me about the 'saddle' on #2 (as previously displayed via 'gr8flbob', thanks) and other holes.

p.s.

My personal preference is the Big Bertha driver for high traj. stopping power and distance on the narrow fairways.. Plus the Big Bertha 3W for 245 yardage, high traj. and 1.5 spin for better green landings if hitting far to the pin.

RSS