Forums

Help › Forums

Learning Pinehurst-tips to share

Tue, Aug 12 2014 7:46 AM (29 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 1 2014 6:05 AM

Learning a new course can be painful. Learning the hard way isn't always fun but sharing your experience and what you learned will make you a better golfer. Use this thread to share your best tips and warnings.

In the first run through I noticed a quick way to see how the greens will handle the approaches. There are dark areas on the greens that show slopes in aerial views and are places you want to consider in the landing.  These are a few examples of what to look for and it's pretty consistent throughout the course.

This may be something WGT added as it doesn't seem to jive with where the sun is. Note the last picture-the sun is to the left as indicated by the tree shadows but the slope still shows dark in spite of facing the sun.  :-)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, May 1 2014 7:16 AM

YankeeJim:
    This may be something WGT added as it doesn't seem to jive with where the sun is.

Or,  when the photos where taken the greens were drying out, with the slopes collecting more water they were still darker than the higher sides?  Either way, it's a helpful thing to look at.  Thanks for pointing it out Jim,  great post.

• borntobesting
    9,622 Posts
    Thu, May 1 2014 10:32 AM

What I have noticed in the 2 rounds that I have played it that the green speed is not true championship speed. It is between championship and tournament speed. 

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, May 1 2014 11:59 AM

Same observation here. Green speed being in between tournament and champioship.

I left 4 putts short on my 1st round, and 1 was for eagle.

• JAMESBALDINI
    266 Posts
    Thu, May 1 2014 2:09 PM

Wow tough course long par 4s and par 5s shot +4 first time

james

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, May 1 2014 2:19 PM

The par 5, 5th Hole be very careful about the green, Its like that green has gone from champ to super ice rink speed just to make you roll down the slope to the left of pin.  Even a flat putt well underhit seems to zoom from the putter and doesn't seem to slow down and continues to roll.

Getting a tailwind on 4 and 5 is like winning the lottery and happens just as often

One thing though, If having to watch a advert whilst game was loading wasn't bad enough, having to watch an advert between the 9th and 10th takes the biscuit

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, May 1 2014 2:51 PM

I think the course is great, the greens are great,and I look for low low 50s to be hit . Not by me, but the big guns will surely hit that.

Once again great great course 

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Thu, May 1 2014 2:52 PM

Great course. Like a watered down version of Merion.

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 9:05 PM

YankeeJim:

Learning a new course can be painful. Learning the hard way isn't always fun but sharing your experience and what you learned will make you a better golfer. Use this thread to share your best tips and warnings.

In the first run through I noticed a quick way to see how the greens will handle the approaches. There are dark areas on the greens that show slopes in aerial views and are places you want to consider in the landing.  These are a few examples of what to look for and it's pretty consistent throughout the course.

This may be something WGT added as it doesn't seem to jive with where the sun is. Note the last picture-the sun is to the left as indicated by the tree shadows but the slope still shows dark in spite of facing the sun.  :-)

the different colours on the greens is the grain of the grass (the way the grass grows), in real world golf dark grass is uphill and the light grass is downhill

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 9:46 PM

Green speed in the open qualifier is a tad slower than champ but still faster than tourney,playing the course in normal stroke play the green speed seems to be dead on champ speed when a tour legend is in the group,no slower no faster.....some players use division to figure green speed distances others use a multiplier I personally use the multiply method distance times .7,,,,example: a 20ft flat putt  true champ speed would be 20ft times .7 = 14ft,,,30ft putt =21 etc etc,,keeps me close and in the hole more often than not........

RSS