Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Bogey free @ Pinehurst - Is this the 'Impossible Dream'?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 10 2014 5:19 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 10:03 AM

SweetiePie:
    I only played it a dozen times; and for personel reasons, I didn't play one round in the US Women's Open.

There wasn't a Women's Open on WGT.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 12:06 PM

PaulTon:

SweetiePie:
    I only played it a dozen times; and for personel reasons, I didn't play one round in the US Women's Open.

There wasn't a Women's Open on WGT.

Thanks Paul...you're correct it was the US Women's Open Event....incidently, it honors me to have someone read everything I write and post....kinda like having my own groupie..Thanks!

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 9:40 PM

BigInigoMontoya:

1. The Par four 4th.  Its not just the length of this hole that kills me.  Its the damn green as well.  Even without adding any spin, the slope of the green always manages to pull your ball significantly below the hole.  

2. The par four 12th.  The most difficult hole on the back nine, in my opinion.   

5. The par four 2nd. The hole is cut back right. The green has a tendency to funnel your ball back left. Can anyone see the problem here? This is a long par four that is technically reachable, but my approach shot can RARELY hold the green.  

My game is different, natch, as I'm hitting from the 'master tees' but -

I can only add some observations from my notebook or info that I've seen in the forums.

It looks like you already have a grasp of what I post, but here it is anyway. 

"the green with pin almost middle has 'the saddle' front left (from the FW)"

"the approach seems to fall short, even with tail wind. The sand at the left can be 'attractive' "

"Also, be well aware of the correct wind direction in regards to the map / camera-angle parallax on the approach shot" (be aware: a lot of camera angles are skewed on PH, notably #4 & 10 )

"a careful drive with the narrow FW , sand on the right, BS will help stop rollout."

------

Again, some of this may not apply as much to your tees, but I hope you can progress.

BTW I copied down all your observations into my notebook, as well. I think it will help. Thanks.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Aug 7 2014 4:00 AM

Play the course as two 35's Just like Beth.

I know....  you must be thinking 'what is this idiot on about' ...lol

Don't chase the low score, then those boges will be there....  let the low score come to you.

Most important thing with that course, is you have to know where the rolls are on the greens on approach.

-Roger

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 4:15 PM

Pinehurst, that foul smelling wench. Once again I had a chance to finally realize my dream of a bogey free round, and in true Inigo fashion I manage to snatch brutal defeat from the clutches of victory.

On 2 I hit a brilliant 3w into a stiff Nor'Easter, coming to a stop 12 feet from the cup. Staying true to form, I leave the try a foot short and tap in for Par.  replay.aspx?ID=845e50c0 1cc7 4e34 8ef8 a38200353f1b

On 4 I have another right to left stiff headwind. I land my 60 degree wedge 5 or 6 feet pin high left. VERY nasty putt with lots of break, but somehow my line holds and I save Par. Huzzah!!!! Rest of the f9 is uneventful, although IIRC I did manage one or two Birds.

On 10 I somehow seem to always hit the wrong spot, and roll off the green. No exception here, as I miss again. But I get up and down for Par.

I hit a simply perfect 3i on 12, coming to rest just 8 feet from the cup. Not close enough to be a makable putt - not for me at least - and I sulk to the 13th after 2 putting for par. replay.aspx?ID=d8f45260 53a5 4491 82ae a382003dc838

On 15 I badly shank my tee shot long and right, into 40%/50% rough. Ouch!!!! Things are looking bleak, but I hit a great 60 degree flop to inside 5 feet to save Par.

And that brings me to 16. The dreaded, demonic, soul crushing, accursed 16th. Yet another right to left head wind off the tee. Out *&^%ing standing. No problems, I find the fairway. No problems on my 3w approach either. 26 yards to the pin, about a foot and a quarter below the hole IIRC. I take out my 29 yard flop wedge, and still being terrified of cranking one well past the hole for a sure fire bogey, I manage to come up a good 9.5 feet short. Son of a $%^&*. I try to convince myself that its an uphill putt, it isn't supposed to have severe break. The dots aren't moving fast enough I tell myself, it isn't supposed to have severe break. But just like the last time I found myself in this position, the stroke wasn't true, it breaks more than I realize, my line FAILS and I watch that little white pill roll right past the cup. NOONAN!!!! I tap in for a round ruining bogey, my first and only of the day. My final score for the championship is 69-72-71-68 for an even 280. Could have been a whole lot worse, but still pretty disappointed I couldn't manage a bogey free round.

I'm still determined to one day play this course Bogey free from the tips, but It will likely be a while before I have the sanity to try again. Mark my words, Pinehurst......you may have won the battle.........BUT YOU WILL NOT WIN THE WAR!!!!!!!!!!   

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 5:19 PM

BigInigoMontoya:

On 10 I somehow seem to always hit the wrong spot, and roll off the green.

On 15 I badly shank my tee shot long and right, 

And that brings me to 16. (putt)  the stroke wasn't true, it breaks more than I realize, my line FAILS and I watch that little white pill roll right past the cup. 

I love your recaps, and I have the same issues so I share your pain.

My notes on 10:

"Watch for camera parallax. A mistake slice approach actually landed me close to the pin (??)"

[that's weird because the unintentional slice to the right helped the shot, I will always aim more right in the future, maybe the hole 'plays left' (?), if that's possible, anyone else notice this?]

My Notes on 15: 

"be careful not to over shoot... the slope can make the ball veer right and off the side "

[I just missed the hole on the approach from the fairway and it rolled to the right and off...close one, more BS like FBS next time and even more left to be safe]

My Notes on 16:

"Your putting will have to be exact, don't bash it too far on the green."

---

I also watched my putt miss this one, that diabolic 'soul crushing, accursed' 16 

LOL Good luck and keep us up to date.

• PAGES
RSS