Forums

Help › Forums

Bogey free @ Pinehurst - Is this the 'Impossible Dream'?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 10 2014 5:19 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 9:17 PM

Well obviously its not impossible, as hundreds of players qualified for the Open championship, and I'd be willing to be that they had to turn in a card with no blemishes in order to do so. Even though I did manage a 66 during qualifying, that round included a bogey at 16. And I recently did manage another 66 - this one bogey free - but that was from the Master tees with little girl very fast greens. Ever since WGT has made this course available from the Legend tees, it pains me that I haven't been able to complete a round without a bogey.  My idea of a 'good round' isn't throwing darts at the pin from 189 yards out with your 5i every hole, its playing 18 straight holes of bogey free golf - 2 putting for par, scrambling up and down if you miss the green, avoiding the bunkers and the rough, and occasionally converting if you happen to find a makable birdie putt 6 feet or less.

Overall, I don't think Pinehurst is  extraordinarily difficult from the back tees.  Its just a couple of holes that I always seem to struggle with. They are:

1. The Par four 4th.  Its not just the length of this hole that kills me.  Its the damn green as well.  Even without adding any spin, the slope of the green always manages to pull your ball significantly below the hole. Ordinarily this is no big deal, but on this hole the break is absolutely brutal, IMHO. I can't even tell you how many times I have rage quit a round because of missing a 6 to 8 footer for par here.

2. The par four 12th.  The most difficult hole on the back nine, in my opinion.  The natural curvature of the green tends to funnel your ball below right of the pin.  This is what I refer to as 'No Mans Land,' similar to missing right at Merion 6 back pin or missing long at Oakmont 9. The resultant putt has an absolute ton of break. Not only does this make it extremely tough to aim, but distance control becomes very tough as well. Any time I can par this hole I always let out a huge sigh of relief.

3. The par four 16th.  Its 'short' enough to be reached in 2 with a stiff tail wind, but pretty much unreachable (for me, anyways) in any other wind. Just about the only thing I like about this course is being able to bark out a hearty $%^& YOU, PINEHURST as I 'cut the corner' over the pond off the tee.

During round one of the Open aftermath I had my best chance yet for a bogey free round, but it ended here at 16. Moderate winds, and only fast greens. I drew side wind on 16.  Hit a good drive, but missed my 3w approach way early, and ended up 20+ yards short left, 15 inches below the hole. My flop 60 wedge needed just a few yards more power, as I left a tough 9 footer for par. And once again for the one millionth time in my WGT career the putt breaks more than I read, and I'm swearing up a storm as the putt lips out. That putt still haunts me to this day, and likely will continue to do so until I can finally manage to beat this course once and for all.

4. The par four 18th. It really is a fairly straight forward 2 putt as long as you can stay below the hole, but miss long or left and you will instantly hate your life and everything in it.

5. The par four 2nd. The hole is cut back right. The green has a tendency to funnel your ball back left. Can anyone see the problem here? This is a long par four that is technically reachable, but my approach shot can RARELY hold the green. Thankfully it is fairly flat around the hole, so an up and down flop for Par usually isn't too much trouble.

So, now that the Open championship is over and Fame and Glory are no longer in play, does anyone who actually doesn't suck at this game (unlike me, LOL) have any tips for surviving this course without a bogey? 

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 11:02 PM

Shot a 65 about an hour ago.. 7 birds, 2 bogies and it felt like a win to me. It would be possible for me to shoot a clean round but the concentration required is epic and I'd have to make zero mistakes. It's a grind.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 10:40 AM

I hardly ever shoot Pinehurst, so I doubt I could.  Front 9 bothers me much more than the back though.  If I could make it through the front bogey-free, I can probably make it through the back.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 12:00 PM

MichaelStroke:

Front 9 bothers me much more than the back though.  If I could make it through the front bogey-free, I can probably make it through the back.

I seem to be the opposite. I just played the whole course twice in a row, one was the VUSO Aftermath, the other a CC tourney.   I played the front 9 holes 5 under first time round, birdied 10 and 11 but then made all pars until the 18th when I managed to miss the fairway off the tee and made bogey.

Second go I was 6 under at the turn, then finished 8 under after 2 birdies early in the back 9, another on the 17th and a bogey on the par 3 15th (I think it's the 15th anyway).  Miss right there and it ain't nice.

It certainly is possible, both my bogeys were due to silly shots off the tee and were easily avoidable.

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 12:39 PM

MainzMan:
    I seem to be the opposite.

Same here.. More birdie opportunities on the front half for me. 

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 1:50 PM

Same for me i score sometime 28, 29, 30 on the front  9  ready  go  but the back 9   ready go  i score more par and finish  lots of time between 32 and 33.

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 2:47 PM

Just to confirm what i say omg

I just finish  a legend ready go 18 holes pinehurst

Score 30 on the front 9 a nd 32 on the back 9...  total 62

And like usual, i have putt for birdie on all the holes and miss  so many possible putt

Me and the putt not a love story, i never  feel the putts..

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 5:56 AM

3rd round of the Open just destroyed me, but given the conditions that was to be expected. High winds with Championship greens is a sure fire recipe for disaster for a n00b like me. Drew a stiff side wind on 4, so bogey was nearly guaranteed. And after I missed way early on my 3w approach and hit one of the few damn trees on the entire course, bogey was now 99% guaranteed. Surprisingly I had a perfect lie for my 3rd, but my 8i missed a good 12 feet long.  2 putt, bogey. On 12 I get the absolute worst possible wind, a left to right with a slight bit of tail kick. My approach held the green, but missed nearly 30 feet long. 3rd shot came up well short, and in true Inigo fashion I miss the 5 footer for par. 3 putt, 2nd bogey. On 16, I draw an 18mph straight headwind. Gee, thanks for that. I don't think my drive even made it 275 yards, and still had a good 280+ to the pin. On my 3rd I have 47 yards to the pin with the same 16-18 headwind. I decide to hit 100% punch 64 degree wedge (50 yards) with just a touch of backspin. Which turned out to be a mistake natch, as I landed on a downslope and fell off the green faster than the stock market in 1929.

replay.aspx?ID=680bed4a 183c 41e5 ba5f a37f00cdd3e4.

I get up and down for bogey number 3. Closed out with par-par on 17 and 18 for a 71 after birds at 5 and 10. That leaves only one more chance for me to get my bogey free Legend ranked round at Pinehurst. I could always just try for it in Practice mode without taking any Mullies, but that almost feels like cheating LOL.

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 7:45 AM

BigInigoMontoya:
    On 16, I draw an 18mph straight headwind. Gee, thanks for that. I don't think my drive even made it 275 yards, and still had a good 280+ to the pin. On my 3rd I have 47 yards to the pin with the same 16-18 headwind. I decide to hit 100% punch 64 degree wedge (50 yards) with just a touch of backspin. Which turned out to be a mistake natch, as I landed on a downslope and fell off the green faster than the stock market in 1929.

replay.aspx?ID=680bed4a 183c 41e5 ba5f a37f00cdd3e4.

47 yards with 16-18 headwind needs a 64° wedge punch with, if anything, a bit of topspin. I play 1 yard for every 4 mph of wind with a 64° punch shot so it would work out to slightly over 51 yards.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 7:56 AM

As of yet, Pinehurst has not been my cup of tea. Although I shot 60 once, most of the other rounds have been 65 to 70 with a 73 last week. I have not played it much. With the low qualifying standard set at the US Open, I only played it a dozen times; and for personel reasons, I didn't play one round in the US Women's Open.  For me it is all about the putter. I am average at it everywhere and at Pinehurst I can count on 2 or more 3 putt greens. I am proud that we have such an iconic masterpiece to play, but it seems that Mr. Ross is getting the best of me....~ SP ~ 

• PAGES
RSS