Forums

Help › Forums

Learning Pinehurst-tips to share

Tue, Aug 12 2014 7:46 AM (29 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 2:59 AM

chrisironsbones:
    One thing though, If having to watch a advert whilst game was loading wasn't bad enough, having to watch an advert between the 9th and 10th takes the biscuit

You need Adblock.  No more Vids or Adds. I still have the White Blank box after 9th, but no vid showing.

Firefox is my browser.

-Roger

• alexk345
    1,148 Posts
    Thu, May 22 2014 6:34 PM

easy green...if u can hit iron straight u can low low

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, May 22 2014 10:17 PM

hpurey:

YankeeJim:
    This may be something WGT added as it doesn't seem to jive with where the sun is.

Or,  when the photos where taken the greens were drying out, with the slopes collecting more water they were still darker than the higher sides?  Either way, it's a helpful thing to look at.  Thanks for pointing it out Jim,  great post.

I have to tell ya...Ya...I was clicking where I wanted to...but followed YJ's advice, my 55 could have been better if I read the greens correctly...

Moral of my tale?

Read and learn:)

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 8:06 AM

Struggling with #2 regards the best camera option for approach to allow for the wind - usually left with approx (wind dependant) 220/240ish yards to go. 

Anyone?

• commonguymd
    303 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 8:20 AM

WigerToods2010:

Struggling with #2 regards the best camera option for approach to allow for the wind - usually left with approx (wind dependant) 230/240ish yards to go. 

Anyone?

I swear I stick the green maybe 1 time out of 10.  Going two yards short helps sometimes depending on wind direction.  But it is hard to line up with no good approach view.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 8:28 AM

Thanks for reply 'C',

I'm landing on the green most times - albeit with a long putt remaining at times. Default front view seems to return best results for me, alas I can barely see ruddy pin from so far away....lol

Most other holes I know straight away what view suits me best.  #2 has me flummoxed meantime.

*Sometimes I get lucky

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 9:03 AM

I use the rear view to adjust wind there, based off player view.

Main thing there is just don't get too far left if the stick.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 9:50 AM

MBaggese:

I do too but have the worst time staying left of the pin. The distances are right on but when you're right you can't stop the roll down to a pitch. Too much left and it's another pitch. There's a slight rise just past the pin that turns into a backstop of sorts but it's tricky to hit without going long and you have to be on the pin or slightly left. I'm beginning to think rolling up is going to be the way to get close instead of spinning it.

It helps to have a visual memory of what you're facing. Notice the tilted right bowl-like configuration.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 10:24 AM

I should have qualified "left"...I meant 4 yards or so...tough to hold the pitch coming back unless you get lucky and stay on the fringe.

A little long is okay, but leaves a slightly (as I recall-haven't played it for over a week) twisting putt with pretty good slope down.

Rolling up might be tough to keep a decent line on the flag.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, May 24 2014 3:09 PM

MBaggese:

Thanks for the tip, MB. 

MBaggese:
    I should have qualified "left"...I meant 4 yards or so...tough to hold the pitch coming back unless you get lucky and stay on the fringe.

Far as shots from off green when left/right/behind pin.... pitch shot works very well for my club/ball combo.

L or R of pin I usually roll off leaving a 13/14 yard return - 90% /17yard pitch with full bs using my Clevey 64' (60 yards) gets me bang on distance wise every time without fail.

From behind   it's usually a tad less - works spot on too. A missed ding on the replay cost me there I think.

Btw the above isn't really directed at you, MB. Perhaps others may find it useful though.

Bit disappointing to see so few contributing pointers to YJ's original post - understand though that some may prefer to keep their little nuggets to themselves meantime.

Good luck in the actual VUSO final rounds.

RSS