Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Uneven Lies Ryder Cup proposal

Fri, Feb 21 2014 9:44 AM (383 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Feb 7 2014 3:30 PM

Congratulations Mark and Jörg, on a hard-fought win, and if I may say so, a much-deserved one after all your patient attempts to get this match played.

Huge thanks to both FlaTexBoy and GolfingJMan for stepping in at the last-minute to represent the US Team. To come in cold, and take our top-notch German duo right to the wire is quite an achievement.

This match seems to show that life on the back 9 at Merion is certainly a challenge, with birdies few and far between after the first couple of holes. Interesting that as with the first match, par would have been enough to win #15. Mark's birdie on #16, and pars on the last 2 certainly did the job, but you too got a crucial birdie on #13 Jörg!

Overall score now stands at: Team ROW: 4.5  |  Team USA 3.5

... the remaining four best-ball matches are all set to take place this weekend. Best of luck to everyone involved.

• GolfingJMan
    71 Posts
    Fri, Feb 7 2014 5:15 PM

I've never been in a game with so many Tour Legends.  It was exciting for me!  

That was my first UEL game since either late October, or early November and it was the first UEL I've played with anything other than Starter Clubs.  I hadn't played a round with that Max Meter Ball, only took about 30 shots in a CTTH game in January. The slow meter certainly helped with my dings!  

After starting out sharp, I sort of faded away at the end.  The first two approach shots were almost flat lies.  The 12th hole is where I got my first challenging lie.

Third shot at the 18th hole I took too long (I really wanted to make that pitch) and got a 1 stroke penalty, or so I think.  If you look at the images, the lies are different—just before the penalty and just after the penalty.  I played my shot according to a flat lie and it "chunked" short as if it was the uphill lie prior to the penalty.  Apparently there is a glitch that occurs when a penalty is incurred while in Uneven Lies.  

Or, maybe I did click in time and get my shot off and the game registered it and inched my ball forward.  As you can see in the info panel, it has 9 inches downhill instead of 7 inches. Perhaps that is because I moved the aim and don't recall.  

Whatever the case, something "glitchy" did happen.  I did not report the suspected-glitch during the round.  I'm not exactly sure how to report it now.  But, the info on how to reproduce is all here.

All of the TL's played amazing.  On #16, while FlaTexBoy and I placed our drives on the left-corner of the fairway, FairwayRuepel68 and Johehejo hit courageous drives of just about 320yds each; FairwayRuepel68 then wedged to approximately 3ft.  

Bold Drives and Conservative Drives

FlaTexBoy made some amazing putts.  On #15, he was just about hole-high to the right of the front pin, his putt (approximately 10ft, iirc) just about went the distance to the hole and then made what was very close to a 90° left turn, then rolled about 1ft downhill into the cup for birdie!  I was thrilled to see it!  

On #17, after an amazing tee shot to the front-right pin, his perfect-looking putt from about 15ft (I can't recall exactly) rolled and rolled until it stopped 3 inches short!  I thought it was in.  Very good putt, tough outcome.

Then on #18, after his approach flew about 20-30yds past the back-left pin into the rough, he recovered to 5yds.  He then made the left-to-right testy-par putt against a steep hill that I didn't navigate and buffed short (from about 6ft for a double bogey).  Oh, I don't want to forget to mention his birdie from about 15ft on #1—a left-to-right breaker behind and to the right of the back pin.

Meanwhile, both of the sehr gut Germans (excuse my German grammar; and they are from Germany, right? [Edit@5:30PM PST: I now see they are]) two-putted for par on #18 from near the fringes at the far, far, right and front of the green.

If I don't play anymore, I'm still grateful for the opportunity to play.  I'll be on standby and try to check this thread regularly.  Whenever I'm ready to play (as a substitute or scheduled), I plan to have my status blue saying "ready for stroke play," go ahead and invite me.

Thanks
    JMan 

Detailed Scorecards

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2014 1:47 AM

Well done Mark and Jorg for a hard fought victory.

Unfortunately, WigerToods2010 will be unable to play this Sunday for personal reasons, so I'm requesting that Alcaucin can step in as my alternate partner.

How about it, Andy?

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2014 5:17 AM

As we head into a weekend with the four remaining Best-Ball matches all set to play, captains have been through another 'secret envelope line-up' process the last few days, and are ready to announce the week3 pairings for the Singles series.

Please note that I will add to this post with specific suggested times/dates asap (on Monday at latest, when I will have more time [note that I have limited WGT-time over the weekend]). In the meantime here is the line-up (I know you've all been nervously anticipating who your singles opponent will be!)

Also, please post in the thread if you are willing to have your match streamed, or if you wish to volunteer to stream someone else's match. We already have an offer from Priestess to do this for some singles matches if scheduling can work.

------------

Here is our line-up for the 3rd week Singles Matches, to be completed by Mon 17th Feb (you can start anytime from this Monday on):  see Chart here

ROW Team           vs          USA

A ::        fmagnets                               Cygnus3000

B ::       Dazza501                              devonnnnn

C ::       Bonalyau                               TarheelsRule

D ::        LOLserver                            wesdogg75

E ::        FairwayRuepel68               KyRock75

F ::        stevereilly                              iconian

G ::        Corwyn                                 jimbech

H ::        WigerToods2010               deedles77

I ::          oneeyedjohn                      ColumbusStorm

J ::         jsweetcr                               bhoese

K ::        johehejo                               woodoworkery

L ::        Daskino                                Dakotarov

FYI: Nate has been 'excused' from the rest of the competition and is replaced by next alternate TarheelsRule for the singles.

Note too that we will also have the following two tie-breaker matches.These will be matches 'for fun' to make sure those players get some involvement even if not called upon earlier in the tournament. However, should the rest of the Ryder Cup end up in a tie, the results of these matches will be the tie-breaker for the competition! [Edit: just to add, this arrangement takes us through all the ROW alternates, which is why there is no 15th match to involve the last US alternate, but it does ensure that every player in both team pools will have had a game in the competition]

Those matches are:

ROW Team           vs          USA

1 ::        Priestess                              Moosetaya

2 ::        Alcaucin                               FlaTexBoy

---------------------------------------------------

What to do next?

Send Friend Requests to your opponent from the other team. Either use this forum thread to confirm your matches via public replies (please use our protocol of quoting UTC and WGT time as well as people's local time to make it easier to track), or do it all via PMs. 

This tourney will not work if you rely on just 'catching your opponent green' -- you must schedule a specific time and date, and be there at that time!

Because we can now play Matchplay in this format (which we couldn't in the 4-player versions), Matchplay it is... unless you are having your match Streamed, in which case you will need to set it up as Strokeplay, and keep the running matchplay score in the chat.

------------------------------------------

Please set up the week 3 Singles matches as follows:

Week 3 (from Mon 2/10 to Mon 2/17):: will be Matchplay with a set of 12 matches to be played over the full 18 holes at Merion with the following conditions:

Merion :: 2-player Matchplay :: Practice Mode :: Full 18 holes :: Medium Pins :: Champion (Hardest) tees :: Tournament Green speed :: High wind :: Uneven Lies :: 90 second timer

Please note: Matches should end at the 18th, if they haven't ended earlier. You should not play Extra Holes. If match is tied after 18, then the result is A/S.

Whichever team is in the lead after the Best-Ball series (or if still tied, the ROW team as reigning Virtual Ryder Cup champions), shall have the honor, and so should set up the matches and be the first player to tee off.

Please designate one player per match to capture and share scorecard screenshots in the forum thread. Note that there can be an A/S result, which will mean 1/2 point to each team.

Any questions, please ask here!

Thanks, and good luck to everyone, Corwyn

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2014 5:48 AM

Tough match for me !

We have to do it before Saturday Russ.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2014 6:50 AM

Our match will be later today. 6pm ET is confirmed, but we are trying for 4pm ET now that Kyrock has the afternoon off as long as Jsweet confirms this is  OK.

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2014 7:17 AM

I already replied to icon and to Corwyn that it shouldn't be an issue. Go a head and set it for 4pm ET and I will be there barring any last minute things that pop up here at the hotel I run.

As I was explaining to Corwyn I manage a small hotel and Sat can be busy but we have staff and sometimes an emergency can arise and I have to go, but any time after 2pm ET should be good.

So in short. I am confirmed!!

LOL

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2014 9:38 AM

I can very easily imagine you running around like Basil Fawlty looking for Waldorfs for the salad.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2014 11:47 AM

stevereilly:

Unfortunately, WigerToods2010 will be unable to play this Sunday for personal reasons, so I'm requesting that Alcaucin can step in as my alternate partner.

How about it, Andy?

Looking forward to it, not sure if I can fill Wiger's shoes on UEL's but looking forward to  learning more....

Andy

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2014 12:43 PM

fmagnets:

I can very easily imagine you running around like Basil Fawlty looking for Waldorfs for the salad.

i just saw a rat and the health inspector is coming

RSS