Forums

Help › Forums

Misleading Putting Scale

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 5 2010 8:52 PM (6 replies)
  • Chipsalot
    74 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 12:10 PM

Just as a matter of interest - is the often misleading information on the Putter Scale a bug or designed by the site to keep the players on their toes.

This screen capture gives you an example of what I'm talking about.

A 21' putt, well within a 30' Putter Scale and the site has designated a 150' meter.

I have long since learned to check the meter but there has been the odd time I've forgotten only to realise what's happened when the ball goes screaming by the hole.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 12:55 PM

I hear you Chip!   I suppose there are some that would use the 150 scale for that putt, hence the rub.  A simple solution is an option that designates the auto caddie to always select the scale closest to, but not more than, the actual putt distance.  Another would be to place something on the aiming point (that turns red maybe) when the auto caddie defaults to a scale that is larger than shorter scales that are within the aiming distance. 

Until that happens, I'm going to try and make sure I am awake before I play (smile).

Joey     

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 1:29 PM

It looks like your on the fringe on that shot.It always does that when I'm in the fringe but it's pretty accurate when I'm "on the green".

I still check it twice before every putt.I have had some heart breaking moments assuming I had the 30 ft. scale, only to find out it was the 15 ft.You never seen a more ugly 5 ft. putt.lol

• x1524807
    776 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 2:01 PM

Chipsalot:
    A 21' putt, well within a 30' Putter Scale and the site has designated a 150' meter.

I was playing yesterday and chatting with the other player, got that 150 for a 20 ft putt. He told me I can change. If you look at the left side of the meter you can adjust the putt meter anywhere from 30 to 150

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 4:27 PM

GITrDONE:
    It looks like your on the fringe on that shot.It always does that when I'm in the fringe but it's pretty accurate when I'm "on the green".

Good catch Larry!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:07 PM

The first thing a player learns from landing in the fringe is to adjust the putter distance. The second thing a player learns, at least one who wishes to advance, is never trust the automatic caddy choice of club or shot application.

• Chipsalot
    74 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 8:52 PM

GITrDONE:

I still check it twice before every putt.I have had some heart breaking moments assuming I had the 30 ft. scale, only to find out it was the 15 ft.You never seen a more ugly 5 ft. putt.lol

The ball was on the green in the screen shot featured. There are many times that the screen presents a 60' Putting Scale when you're comfortably in the 30' Range  of the pin, even allowing for a rise in the green.

Apart from the putting there is another area of wrong information as well. When the screen suggests a 'Chip' instead of a 'Pitch' shot. The 17th on Kiawah is notorious for doing that as well as some of the other greens. It's pitiful to see the newbies doing three - four chip shots to get onto the green instead of them using a single Pitch shot.

Let me make it very clear that I'm not complaining. I was just wondering if this is a bug within the game or are they built-in pitfalls for the unwary?

RSS