Handicap, Reputation and other new release discussion

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 17 2010 12:05 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 9:26 AM

Some GREAT things coming down the pike here at WGT.  Lets take a fast look:

Coming Soon (30-60 days)   (updated Mar 4)

• Match play improvements
    • New awards
    • New clubs & avatars
    • Ability to create and join groups

Roadmap Features

• Ability to save and share scorecards
    • Private tournaments - set up your own tournaments
    • St Andrews Back 9 stroke play course
    • More pin placements on St Andrews
    • Player reputation
    • The Challenge at Lanai closest-to-the-hole course
    • Multiplayer closest-to-the-hole game format
    • Leaderboards for game statistics
    • Shot-shaping and stance controls
    • Up/Down/Side hill lies
    • Handicap system

Of course it would be nice to have a hint of clubs coming, but I dont think we'll get it. 

My main concern is the Handicap system and the potential for it and potential abuse.  I think this in theory should be simple, handicaps are ONLY calculated from TOURNEY'S, period.  If someone wants to "jimmy" their handicap, they will have to lose credits or the possibility to win them, at least a bunch of times, and ranked rounds should'nt even be counted, too easy to sandbag. 

A properly implemented handicap system would be a great addition, allowing some people that are not normally competitive to actually compete.  I think the important thing here is we can cut out a little bit of the rich get richer current payout scheme and share the wealth a little, obviously some wont like this and I dont think all tourneys should be based on handicap. 

What I think would be good would be to have maybe HALF of all tourneys be based on handicap, let anyone have a chance in half of them but keep some available where the best players will rise to the top.

My 2 cents

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:00 AM

JMO, whatever handicap system is devised, someone will find a way to beat it.

Anyone save a copy of the previous Roadmap?  I thought a Driving Range was on there, no?

No mention of more pin placements on Kiawah?? 

And with all the whining about quitters, the Player Reputation feature should be given some priority and be implemented before groups

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:32 AM

andyson:
    And with all the whining about quitters, the Player Reputation feature should be given some priority and be implemented before groups

I'm in, as long as we can get a "Whiner Binder" to go with the "Reputation Tracking".

I'm just sayin' .....

• flyers5182
    50 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:41 AM
    What about date-based stats? Like putting accuracy since become a master or from a certain date. I feel that my putting has improved for some reason since being bumped up a tier. I'd like to know if thats true.
  • flyers5182
    50 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:48 AM

jayjonbeach:
    What I think would be good would be to have maybe HALF of all tourneys be based on handicap, let anyone have a chance in half of them but keep some available where the best players will rise to the top.

What about Premium and Single Play tourneys only be based on the handicap.  Again, I see it as beatable, but I agree with you that ranked rounds, especially with addition of St. Andrews, shouldn't count.

• TarheelsRule
    5,484 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 11:12 AM
    I have given up on the folks who quit. I have started at least 25 stroke play games with a 4 some and have yet to finish one with all four players. I rarely quit a round and generally when I have too, I go back and finish it. I don't quit because I made a par or a bogey. I agree that a penalty system would be nice but it is easy to spot the folks who quit, they have a scoring average 3 to 4 strokes lower than yours but you can score better than them. I never understood why people wanted to have an artificially low handicap in real golf or virtual golf, in real golf it only gets you beat when you play using your handicap and I'm not sure what it gets in here. The easy way to get rid of the folks trying to get too low a handicap is to play matches using the handicap however that brings in the sandbaggers who want their handicap as high as possible. I look at it as it is just a game. I can't play in the match play for credits or the other tournies so I'm here for the fun of it.
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 11:42 AM

Please everyone, there are more than enough threads around about quitting already, we all hate it (mostly) or just hate hearing about it!  Lets stay on topic here discussing the solutions, actual gripes about quitting can go in the many other threads.

Andy I agree, reputation should come before new equipment etc and will help with the whole quitting issue, and yes more pin placements, even for CTTH, more fairway locations for those too! 

Yes stats reseting would be nice too, these things are listed in the link below:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/8674.aspx    Here is a good place to list your top 10 wantlist items and the ORDER in which you think they are important.   :)  

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:05 AM

I'm going to add something here I think can help the whole quitting thing, sure like the handicap thing there may be no perfect solution, but I think WGT has to try at any rate.

Since WGT is working on a reputation rating already, maybe they can have it represent quitters but ALSO wankers to help curb general bonehead and abusive behaviour thus the reputation rating becomes a 2 part rating, and I think this is important.

So quitting will knock a persons reputation down automatically, not sure how they are going to calculate but it seems pretty simple, everyone starts off with a 1500 rating, everytime they disconnect they get - 1, everytime they finish they get + 1. 

For part 2, when someone plays a match with a wanker, a non-pleasant person, abusive person etc, and there are plenty that people would like to avoid in general, after the match they can add a one-time only - 1 to his/her score, this can only be added against someone who you have played against for obvious reasons.   The only downside to this is there will be some false ratings at first where the "bad" people try to knock down the good people.  However, there are far more good people on this site so this will be shortlived and after a small amount of time, it will become very obvious who is generally not being a very nice person and if someone gets too many negatives in this way all the - 1's they gave out get cancelled. 

For this reason, the reputation needs to be detailed in a way that someone can look into the persons profile and reputation shows up as a "stat", with number of times quit and number of negatives given by other players.

I do think this is an important step WGT can take to help curb general abuse on their site, the internet is full of nasty people sadly and this will really help.  

--------------------------------------

Oh, and please setup a special section in the forum for "general complaint" threads.  The reason this would be good is to keep all the cheater, quitter, TWO is better, I dont want to spend money threads all in one place to stop them from polluting the WHOLE forum, and they will never stop so why not deal with them.   When a thread shows up in the wrong place it simply gets moved by an Admin to the complain section, this will help to keep the entire forum more useful overall. 

• raidermatt1
    96 Posts
    Sat, Mar 6 2010 11:48 AM
    I would really like to see the up/down/side hill lies implemented. Hopefully the game will become more challenging and bring scores up to a realistic level.
  • chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Sun, Mar 7 2010 1:44 AM

join the ladders site guys played heaps of 4player games never had anyone quit its great

i think hcp`s can work as its been said only tournament results need aply and with this yes they will loose money to sandbag but i think it will be extremely noticable on stats so wgt will be able to deal with that ,good1

my 2 cents CSC

PS as for new clubs i think the add for the new ping g15 might be a clue just a thought

• PAGES
RSS