Forums

Help › Forums

putting tip #2

Wed, Mar 3 2010 5:24 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TIGGERWHOODS
    4 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:16 AM

devised a method to determine putting length accuracy.  saw a similar post elsewhere that was just a little different from mine, and ive added an approach length method as well. hopefully this wont be considered cheating, but putting is the hardest part of this game, and i had to come up with something besides guesswork. thought i would share this with everyone.  i rarely 3 putt, unless ive got a rediculously long putt or one with a massive double break.

in single game mode, when ready to putt, i measured the distance of the meter from one end to the other.  i then took a piece of clear tape and made marks at either end this distance apart.  the three putter length offerings are 30, 60, and 150, easily divisible by 6, so that is the scale i chose.  divide the measurement by 6 and make 5 more marks between the first 2 this distance apart. tape this to your computer screen so that the outer marks align with the 2 ends of the putting meter, and wallah!!, the meter is scaled.  an example with actual numbers would be something like this. say the meter measures 90 millimeters.  (if measuring in inches, one could use 16ths of an inch).  mark 90 millimeters on your tape.  90 divided by 6 is 15.  make a mark every 15 millimeters between the outer marks. 

so say you have a 14 footer with 3 inches of downslope on a fast green.  if you decide you want to hit this putt 11 feet, draw the putter back until the meter moves just past the second mark on the 30 ft. meter, as each mark represents 5 ft. of putt.

now you have a 31 footer on standard green with 5 inches of downslope.  you want to hit it 28 feet. you  would draw back the putter until the meter moves just short of the third mark, as each increment on the scale now represents 10 ft. on the 60 ft. meter.

i also made one for an approach shot.  an additional scale was required, as the putting and driving/approach shot meters are in slightly different locations and of slightly different lengths on the screen.  i also chose to use 10 increments, as it is easier to divide the various yardages by 10.  while this scale isnt nearly as useful as the putting scale, it does come in handy with lob wedge shot.  obviously a 32 yard shot would be just past 6 marks with a 50 yard wedge.

this has made such dramatic improvements in my game i occasionally get accused of sandbagging.  i hope its not considered cheating.  more like a creative approach to the game. i still have to judge wind, breaks, green speed, and hit the meter on the sweet spot, as we all know can be very difficult to do consistently.  hope this helps your game.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:26 AM

nothing wrong with visual aids.

cheers.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:37 AM

Hi Tigger,

Good putting method. nivlac posted a similar method and can be found in the FAQ's titled, "putting tips".

Play well.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 3:23 PM

HEY TIGER

There was a player here who did similar but in a great way he wrote a .net program that put markers on your shot meter but not just for putting, for every club and shot type its awesome helps heaps but but not to the point of making it easy by any means if you would like to know more post on my wall and ill put you in touch . Its free too!!!

thx chip

• bobbadgley
    22 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:11 PM

Hey chips - i would love that net program for the meter.  Would really appreciate it if you could put me in touch.

thanks - bobbadgley

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 1:40 PM

go to WGT players type in players name SLUNY he will help you pls find it and work it out i did

thx chip

• dciman
    25 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 4:52 PM

It doesn't give you an option to sign up?  It gives you an option to log-on, but that's it.  Help would be appreciated.  Thanks   

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 5:31 PM

Like i said talk to SLUNY its his set up i have no control over it and dont have time to type instructions he will help you you just have to wait for him to be on

thx chip

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 2:35 AM

Link to Slunys site is at top of his profile page.

To register there in order to download the "Pro" version you need to make a very small donation (Read his home and download pages)

• TarheelsRule
    5,493 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 3:46 PM

He recently posted a WGT Caddie 2.1 on the boards, I have never seen or heard of this before today.  Is this a legitimate WGT aid or not, I haven't seen anyone from WGT comment about it and before using it I wanted to get a few opinions as to if it was any good and if it was within the rules to use it.  Any help will be appreciated.

• PAGES
RSS