Help › Forums

St. Andrews First Thoughts

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 26 2010 1:59 PM (3 replies)
  • TomFetner
    34 Posts
    Fri, Feb 26 2010 11:44 AM

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I had the fortune to be off from work yesterday and saw that St. Andrews was up and running (at least the front 9).  I managed to play 5 or 6 rounds on it and even had the great opportunity to play with one the top masters (even he had trouble with the high winds).  This was a fun course to play at the pro level.  I got a favorable wind and drove the green on 3 of the par 4’s in one of my rounds and even managed to sink a crazy 45’ + putt on one for an eagle.  It was cool to hit a 345 yard drive with the Rapture driver and run it right through a green!  The fairways require a lot of thought to drive into because of all the crazy bounces that you can get there.  The rock hard greens also leave some incredibly long and crazy putts.  The wind also plays havoc with all but the shortest putts as well.  It definitely has to be factored in when putting.  I’ve been playing golf since I was a kid (40 years) and it took every bit of experience I had to play the course.  Future tournaments here should be wild.  I played with a master level player and he had the wind turned up to maximum.  On one hole we both could not reach the beginning of the fairway, despite well struck tee shots, due to a 30 mph headwind. 

I managed to post a great score on a later round and (unfortunately) got bumped up to master level.  This was a completely different course from then on.  It is much, much harder from the back tees.  I’m looking forward to playing it with longer, more precise clubs in the future.  Hopefully they will help!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 26 2010 12:17 PM

TomFetner:
    The wind also plays havoc with all but the shortest putts as well.

Is this a change? I thought differently based on the same topic a while ago (trying to find the post.)

*edit* found it           http://wgt.com/forums/p/8132/51345.aspx#51345

• iukine
    195 Posts
    Fri, Feb 26 2010 12:37 PM

Did anyone notice that there is another tee box behind the white tee's?

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Fri, Feb 26 2010 1:59 PM

championship tees. i think WGT are saving those for something special. maybe for when we get the full 18 of St Andrews. would be nice if we could have the back 9 in time for the british open but maybe the time scale isn't favourable. would be great if they done something on the lines of bethpage black.

RSS