Forums

Help › Forums

St. Andrtews

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:40 PM (7 replies)
  • PorkyWalrus
    607 Posts
    Thu, Feb 25 2010 3:45 PM

I have played St. And. several times now, what fun! I cannot wait until the rest of the course is opened. My drives sail past those on KI and Bethpage.I love the different look of the fairways, and the gigantic, rolling  greens.

Now I have another reason for why the British Open is my favorite major to watch.

What are your thoughts?

Greg.

• BOXALL
    140 Posts
    Fri, Feb 26 2010 6:58 AM

I have enjoyed it immensely. Some of those greens are like rollercoasters so accurate iron play is an absolute must.

Likewise, I cannot wait for the back nine with it's infamous Road Hole but as it's not even mentioned on the Roadmap Features, we may be quite a while waiting for it. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

• hybrid777
    1 Posts
    Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:36 AM

THANK YOU WGT!!!

The wait is over and I love the new or should I say the OLD course!

• wayfader
    50 Posts
    Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:42 AM

I think the name "greens" at St. A should be changed to "means" cause they are. I landed by a 8 or 10 foot diameter hole on the fairway and I could swear I couldn't see bottom. It looked like a gateway to Hades. The wind can be friend or foe, it's a must to pay attention to it. I remember my father had a set of old Scottish golf clubs. Their where no number sequence. I remember a "mashie" ""crunchie" "Hound", All where named in a distiquishing Scottish names. Can't wait for the Smog, and Grogged down fairways. slow, wet greens, weather is it's charm. Yeeehaaaw wgt, thank you for a bit o' the kings game.

• geagle58
    4 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:57 AM

I love the course, it plays a little different every time you play it.  I am playing at -3 to +2.  Always fun.

• TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 12:00 PM
    I am fortunate to have played the Old Course in person as well as on WGT. While the course has it's pluses and minuses (cost and conditioning being the minus) it is still an historical course and probably the only one that most of the American golfers ever think of when they think of Scotland. I can argue that Carnoustie is much more difficult and that Turnberry is a better test of golf but it is nice to have this style of course. The play is fairly consistent to what I saw, long drives often a 3 iron off the tee can go 300 yards. Greens that don't hold well and with ridges and mounds that make a great iron shot speed 35 feet by the hole. The wind is more severe in the game that it was during my play there, which was in August but we don't play in the rain either. Enjoy the course and hopefully we will get the back nine soon and can battle the road hole.
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 12:19 PM

Maybe WGT could roll out the "Road Hole" and the 18th with the famous bridge early???

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:40 PM
    ...and as you're finishing the home hole, you can hear bagpipes in the background! How's THAT for ambience!
RSS