Help › Forums

new course

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 15 2010 12:22 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:34 PM

I play at the master level with Ping G10 master clubs and rarely can hit less into this green than three wood.  Even if I have no wind in my face and put overspin on the ball I can never get there with a 4 iron.  The pros did struggle on this hole but when they play this course the fairways are cut very tight and their drives are more likely in the 330 range.  Played it at 525 a bit ago with little wind.  I had 240 level after a good drive, took a 3 wood to get it there.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:41 PM

ThreeSpot:
    Jim, you have a 3i that goes 225? Which set is that, I don't see it in the pro shop.

It's rated at 210-part of the master Taylor set. Tour-SD ball and top spin actually get it up to 235 on some fairways, excepting wind. LOL-I only know this because lilrob's No-Wood tourney last week had me teeing off with it and the ave off the tee was 230 for 27 holes or so.

A big plus is with that length I can forgo a 3w and a hb and carry a 4th wedge.

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:47 PM

Bethpage is an awesome course, you just have to practice from the new tees. Not that I have any inside information, but again I suspect that St. Andrews will be a far more taxing course when released. Fingers crossed.

• stanroca
    52 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 2:12 PM

Im with JB on this one too ... With wind from your back left a good drive and you only have 3W or 3 Iron into the green ... sometimes just a punch shot to control the roll through the green and of course back left pin position.  Practice...practice...practice

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 2:49 PM

Here is the best 3 iron I ever hit into that green.

LINK TO REPLAY

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:58 AM

YJ, second time playing this hole since yest. 235 out just smooth 3 iron no top spin 11ft. birdie check my replays. thx JB  p.s. 4 iron only with 15plus mph tailwind.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 9:33 AM

JB-Wind aided-no argument when wind helps. How come your yardage to the hole is in feet?

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 10:13 AM

good question, YJ look at soulcatchers replay in ft also, did'nt do math but but sure it equals 235 yrds. this was not meant to be an arguement over clubs or yrdg. simply a guy saying he has to hit 3wd into par 4's i just picked the longest approach shot in game to say not true. sorry if you thought i was picking a fight over really nothing, hit em straight. thx JB

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 12:22 PM

jbenny11:
    sorry if you thought i was picking a fight over really nothing,

LOL-absolutely not jb-didn't think that for a sec. I've conceded par for so long on that hole (don't carry fwy club)  that I automatically lay up to one of those killer Satins. Seeing your replay, though, I'm going to rethink the drive and play for that bird when the wind's right. I'm going to call it JB's Wind-go for the hole. Tx.

• PAGES
RSS