Forums

Help › Forums

My First & Last Tournament

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:15 PM (1 replies)
  • Shephard
    32 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 11:48 AM

As a master it has been some time since I have played off the blue tee boxes. When I realized the problem I was into the tournament. I do not have the correct clubs to play the Ocean course off the blues or pro tee boxes, whatever you want to call them.

Then, I could not figure out what was wrong with my putting until I realized WGT made the greens standard speed. I am use to playing on “very fast speed” greens.

Then I wanted to go do something else. That was when I realized I had to complete all 72 holes of the tournament or “bow out” of the tournament before I could practice, play a regular game, see a friend that I haven’t seen in awhile and wanted to play.

After some thought, I am glad I “bowed out” of the tournament because I did not want my friends to see the horrible score I would have posted. Plus getting use to the short fairways and slow greens would have really messed up my regular game. That is the last dollar WGT will get from me for a tournament.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:15 PM

Shephard:
    Then, I could not figure out what was wrong with my putting until I realized WGT made the greens standard speed. I am use to playing on “very fast speed” greens

The green speeds are listed for each tournament via the in-game tournament menu.  All conditions for that round including course, green speed and wind strength are disclosed before you tee off.  Whenever the conditions are listed for ALL PLAYERS, that means it's a tierless tournament and everyone plays White (Pro) Tees.  When the conditions are listed as MASTER (or whatever your tier happens to be), you play your own tees.

Shephard:
    That was when I realized I had to complete all 72 holes of the tournament or “bow out” of the tournament

No, no, not at all.  It's a 4 round tournament, yes, but the first round is due by January 11th.  Nobody is allowed to even start their second round until after the first round deadline, so you couldn't play all 72 holes at once even if you wanted to.

So I encourage you to re-think the "last dollar" bit and just be more aware and more prepared before you start another tournament.  Maybe try with some of the free ones first while you learn the system and figure out the differences between the green speeds and such.

Sorry to hear that your first experience wasn't all that great, but don't give up on it entirely.  Sometimes you just gotta climb back on that horse and try again.

Hit 'em well.

RSS