Forums

Help › Forums

Help on hole 4 and 5 at Kiawah

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 15 2010 7:49 PM (22 replies)
  • mefitz
    372 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 2:55 PM

Hi Richard- I`ve got the same advice as dorkfeatures inre #5. I was going to respond yesterday but didn`t really know how to explain it. There is a LZ...But it`s hard to hit given different conditions. I saved a replay today so you could see it for yourself. It`s on the top of my list as "#5 approach". When I set up for it I put the aim marker in the dead center...you can see how it played out. Btw, I was using the freebie balls and...yes, I got the birdie!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 10:02 AM

I thought I would come back to this thread and add a thought.  In the couple of weeks since we were first discussing it I find myself in somewhat of a similar - though not identical - disposition as Richard originally expressed regarding Hole # 4 at Kiawah.

I FIND MYSELF SICK TO DEATH at the moment of playing Shot #3 out of that %&*&%$ Front Bunker every single time!  I am simply frustrated with it.

Thankfully, 95% of the time it is an Up-and-Down PAR for me - so at least I do not share the Bogey angst.

But as of this morning, I am changing something about my approach here.  I am fed up - in the usual "challenging" way - not boiling with endless hatred or anything.  :-)

Best Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 10:20 AM

There's the classic risk/reward on the approach shot for 4.

For me, the risks far outweigh the rewards.   The front bunker is a terrible place to be on that hole, especially towards the middle and away from the green.

I avoid it at all costs.   My ideal approach shot is around 20-30 feet on the green to the left of the pin.   It's a much easier putt than it would seem, and you'll birdie from there much more often than popping one in from that sand trap.

This works out well for both mishit scenarios as well.

If I miss right on the swing meter, I'll typically end up with a shorter putt or right on the fringe next to the sand.   Misses way right will end up in the sand, but that's more rare.

If I miss to the left, I'll end up with a relatively easy 13-16 yard pitch shot.   I have a much better chance of pitching that shot within 1 yard of the hole than out of the dreaded bunker.

That's my strategy for 4, but I do play with the tour starter irons and most of my strategy revolves around those clubs and their limitations.

Both 4 and 5 I aim for par, but want to avoid bogey (or worse) at all costs, especially since I can get to hole 4 at -3 since the first 3 holes are birdie holes.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 10:39 AM

hole 4, played badly, then good, then had 3 birds in a row, how?  Take tee shot to very left side of fairway, but in the fairway, if you have to club down in a down wind do so, I have the Pro Rapture and only hit full meter with wind in my face.  That should leave you 176 or less looking at the stick with no bunker to carry.  I am a pull swinger, and can count on it 98% of the time.  I aim right at the stick or left of the stick, or 5 yards left of the stick if right wind.  Max backspin, and usually 5 yards more in yds than yardage says.  Don't be afraid to go long left, its a fairly straight long putt, very downhill but if you putt well should be easy par.  On all things being done well, the ball lands just before the mound, rolls over and down toward flag, been within 10 ft.

hole 5, max backspin always wind in your face play to the exact yardage and you will never go past pin.  Downwind is different story, with a 9mph downwide i play it about 8 yards short, could just be me.  I like right and short of flag as miss, fairly easy up or flat putt, slight right to left.

Downwind seems to make your shot land earlier, and run faster, so you can always play less club, get more carry and less roll. 

Thats my 2 cents.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 11:13 AM

marioh:
    There's the classic risk/reward on the approach shot for 4.

I took the risk out of firing at the pin on this hole by getting a Satin 64 wedge. It paid for itself the first time I landed in that bunker-up and tap in for down. Now that I don't have to worry about that bunker I can play the hole like it's not there and am getting better looks at the birdie putt. The best look I can get happens if I land at or on the top of the bunker hill and roll towards the pin.

The wedge is what does it because a full swing from that trap is easy to map. 50% swing goes straight up and lands 2 ft away. 

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 11:13 AM

Thanks for comments guys...

Another thought about "the dreaded bunker".  I am thankfully usually able to up and down it - BUT.....

This particular bunker seems EXCEPTIONALLY prone to landing you in either a 30/40 or 40/50 LIE in the sand.  I have seen the relatively easy 15/20% lie but it is RARE in this bunker for some reason.  I think that also fouls up alot of attempts to land an exit shot close to the hole.  Myself, I seem to always execute the exit pretty well.

Having said that - I ALWAYS use a full swing if having to exit the bunker.  This one is not a place for the FLOP.  The FLOP shot by its very nature kicks to the right - so in a relatively flat landing scenario, I can use it well in other locations.  THIS SHOT lands on the green and immediately (due to slope of green) kicks right ANYWAY - and for my game, it is completely untenable to have to "Aim" a FLOP with FORWARD TRAVEL of 10-12 Yards 6-8 YARDS to the LEFT to account for both the natural right-kick of the FLOP combined with what the green does to the ball.

Maybe this insight helps someone.

Regards, AtlantaCoaster 

• CaptainCouples
    135 Posts
    Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:29 PM

Richard4168:
    I know there's got to be a landing area to make the ball slow down and trickle to the hole. Anyone have an Ace on this hole?

There is a Landing Zone Richard. Its hard to find, but anything close will usually leave a chance putt at birdie. Watch both of these shots. Different clubs, winds and yardage. With very similar outcomes. Also there are spots both directly above and below the hole that leave very make-able putts. As AC advised. Play it to par it. And take the birdies and smile when you get them.

http://www.wgt.com/gameclient.aspx?view=showReplay&JSON={%20%22GUID%22%20%3A%20%2257282d5d-b497-4835-8689-9c4e009dab5b%22%2C%20%22Brand%22%20%3A%20%22undefined%22%20}

http://www.wgt.com/gameclient.aspx?view=showReplay&JSON={%20%22GUID%22%20%3A%20%2280cbba9e-f4db-41aa-a008-9c0800ef1d52%22%2C%20%22Brand%22%20%3A%20%22undefined%22%20}

As far as # 4. Get it on the green how ever you can. And give yourself a respectable two putt, and you will find there are spots that the putts are very make-able.

And remember that Par on both of these holes is as good as a birdies on all of the others. The putts will start dropping before you know it.

Good luck with it!

CC..

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 6:11 AM

After playing hole 4 at Kiawah several more times, I've found I can run the ball up on the green just to the left of the bunker. The ball catches a slope and takes a nice right hand swing towards the hole, and with the right speed, the ball will come to rest most likely within 12 feet of the cup. Anything left of the hole makes for a fast putt.

Keep in mind, hole 4 is the hardest hole at Kiawah and I'll take par there anytime.

Hole 5 is a whole different situation altogether.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 11:03 AM

Richard4168:

Hole 5 is a whole different situation altogether.

I am remaining respectfully SILENT about Kiawah # 5 for the moment other than to say the following....

Have run into a recent spike in 3-putt BOGEYs there for some reason.  I have the situation under the usual magnifying glass.  Frustrated.

Will speak about it further when I can figure out what is wrong with Myself.  :-)  

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 11:29 AM

I have been having some better luck at #5, but no birdie attempts. I'm landing the ball in that patch of ruff in the middle of the green and letting the ball trickle closer than usual to the hole.

It takes precise yardage and wind calculation, but is an effective play to me. I look forward to hearing the solution that works for you. I reiterate, I'll take par on hole 5 any-day.

Thanks AC.

RSS