Forums

Help › Forums

Why Buy Custom Irons

Wed, Jan 10 2024 10:49 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Birdman19520
    43 Posts
    Sat, Dec 30 2023 4:46 PM

So why are the irons you purchase so much better than the starter irons?  And if I need to purchase a set of irons, which ones would be recommended that won't break the bank?

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sun, Dec 31 2023 10:51 AM

Bought clubs play better but if you buy too soon you will be buying again quickly too . The best clubs are available as you progress , but learn the courses before spending too much money . Watch videos and stockpile credits for when you do want to buy.

• ryry4321
    45 Posts
    Sun, Dec 31 2023 11:22 AM

For irons I would definitely wait until you're a level 59 to get the ping i230 irons. High trajectory, slower meter speed, good precision and spin. Definitely worth the wait. Best of luck 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Dec 31 2023 12:10 PM

Birdman19520:

So why are the irons you purchase so much better than the starter irons?  And if I need to purchase a set of irons, which ones would be recommended that won't break the bank?

The standard advice has typically been to wait until Level 59 to purchase your first set of irons. I believe that remains good advice. When you hit Level 59, purchase these irons:

They hit all the metrics that make them a great purchase: high trajectory, decent precision, forgiveness, and spin, great meter speed, and not too costly. 

• Rick6208
    2,145 Posts
    Mon, Jan 8 2024 6:30 AM

My advice would be to buy the longest hitting driver you can afford, with high trajectory!

The shorter you can make your 2nd shot the more accurate you will be , which means more birdies and pars !

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Mon, Jan 8 2024 10:31 AM

Another take:

Driver distance is important, but I guarantee you will be hitting irons or wedges on EVERY HOLE.  The "better" (not necessarily longer, but higher trajectory/more spin/slower meter) irons and wedges you get will leave better approach distances and chances at up-and-downs from missed greens.

At L39 you are going to Level up so quickly in the next few months that many different options will reveal themselves before you know it.  Be patient and learn all the courses, learn the different types of shots around the greens to get up-and-down, etc...

If I were you I would hold off on irons until L59 Pings.  You could go for the L38/39 TM 54*/58*/64* wedges now and they will last you quite a while and gap decently with the L59 Ping irons. 

**Edit**  If you are not opposed to spending a little cash, definitely Google search "WGT Steam Bundles".  At your level/tier, a small cash outlay would get you clubs that can last you well into the later stages of the game.  For every bundle they have you get almost as many credits as they cost (so a $20 bundle gets you some nice clubs AND $20 worth of credits that can be spent on balls, other clubs, so forth).  If I was starting over I would buy these bundles without a doubt.

• Birdman19520
    43 Posts
    Tue, Jan 9 2024 6:25 AM

@BlackBogey...thanks for the advice....I'll definitely take a look at those steam bundles.

• Birdman19520
    43 Posts
    Tue, Jan 9 2024 6:30 AM

@Rick...I took a look at all drivers, even the ones I'm locked out on right now, and I see 291 yards as the longest.  However, when I look at the YouTube tutorials, I see these guys pull up their drivers on the tee box and the displayed distance shows 312-314 yards. Any ideas on where these clubs are coming from?

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Jan 9 2024 1:06 PM

Birdman19520:

@Rick...I took a look at all drivers, even the ones I'm locked out on right now, and I see 291 yards as the longest.  However, when I look at the YouTube tutorials, I see these guys pull up their drivers on the tee box and the displayed distance shows 312-314 yards. Any ideas on where these clubs are coming from?

The difference being the type of apparel a certain player may be wearing

• GreenLaser
    176 Posts
    Tue, Jan 9 2024 4:50 PM

Birdman19520:

It's from the magic Swing Edge hats for the drivers.

• PAGES
RSS