Forums

Help › Forums

Hazards

Fri, Jul 7 2023 2:36 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • easternguy
    301 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2023 11:57 AM

Why does WGT drop balls that have landed in a hazard into the rough? Any red staked hazard should be allowed to drop as far back as necessary in a line from entry point. 

Also, because we can't draw or fade shots, why do we have to guess if our ball will magically go through trees or hit a branch?

One more thing, when hitting said branch, why is it so penal? Often times you can't hit your ball back to the fairway.

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2023 3:25 PM

The "why"-question answers easily: It's just because it is as it is. And, be assured, it is the same for ev1.

Dropping is often haphazardly, probably due to "easy programming" - quite the worst experiences come from KIA #17.

The "trees / branch" problem exists, just as in Real Golf - you never know if the ball will hit the 85% of air or the 15% or solid wood. But, WGT have exterminated the worst of the "invisible branches" that have occurred at some courses.

"Penal results" aren't much different from Real Golf, too...

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2023 4:17 AM

I agree with most of Alosso's thoughts.

I don't have a gripe with the trees, it's been pretty well documented on which trees you can go through with FBS off the tee.  Then again there are a few that are problems (Olympic and Merion I believe) that you just have to work around and if you keep notes you'll quickly learn which ones they are.

My issue is with the drops/re-tees from water hazards.  If I pull a drive left and it bounces in rough or hits cart path and then goes into a lateral hazard (think left miss off the tee on #11 on PGA Nat), I should be able to drop within 2 club lengths of where it went in, as it clearly hit land before going in.  I don't even care that it would be in the rough, at least I would be hitting 3 from +/- 150yds and have a chance at getting up/down to save par.  Instead you are USUALLY put back hitting 3 from the tee with no chance of par, and often facing a double bogey.  I get what you're saying about the the "easy programming" Alosso, but they already have the still images of the course for where the ball went in (they showed it when the ball hit before going in), so should not be a huge effort (at least IMHO) to make a "drop zone" within 2 club lengths of that area.  There are also water balls where they do give you a drop just back from the hazard, usually a creek crossing the fairway, so it seems there is no hard/fast "rules definitions" of hazards on wgt.

• Rick6208
    2,147 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2023 5:42 AM

You can Fade or Draw a shot just hit before or after the DING MARK on the meter scale

• MioKontic
    4,594 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2023 5:57 AM

Rick6208:

You can Fade or Draw a shot just hit before or after the DING MARK on the meter scale

You cannot fade or draw in WGT.  By hitting early or late you are pushing (hitting it straight right for a right-hander) or pulling (hitting it straight left), not fading or drawing.  Fade/draw shots start left/right of target and then curl back because of the side-spin on the ball.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2023 8:02 AM

Rick6208:

Unfortunately, that's a completely different thing to fade or draw. When you miss the ding, all it does is it shoots the ball flat and straight in the direction of the miss, without any side spin, like it would do with and actual fade or draw. 

• easternguy
    301 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2023 4:26 PM

The "trees / branch" problem exists, just as in Real Golf - you never know if the ball will hit the 85% of air or the 15% or solid wood. But, WGT have exterminated the worst of the "invisible branches" that have occurred at some courses.

I watched a US Open at Olympic, none of the golfers were hitting their ball through the trees on the 1st hole...same for 3rd on Bethpage. So no, it's not like "real golf".

• callaghan159
    6,222 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2023 4:49 PM

Keep notes on the trees you hit (cant get over) and next time try a punch or move dot to top of ball to keep it lower. Thats what I do. IMHO it would be wise to purchase note book in pro shop and keep notes in it. I have notes on just about every hole, mostly if I am long or short and by how much and ya cant forget about those pesky trees you cant get over.

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Wed, Jul 5 2023 1:33 AM

It is possible to bend a shot in WGT, but I have only ever been able to do this with a driver. Might be possible with a 3 wood but I don't recall trying it.

If you check the straight red line on the (enlarged) minimap in the video below, you will see the trajectory of the ball move away from that line as it curves in flight. It does not curve as much as it might have had the wind not been blowing in the opposite direction trying to straighten it out.

It's a risky shot though as you are very likely to shank the shot hitting on the meter that early or late.

• MioKontic
    4,594 Posts
    Wed, Jul 5 2023 7:08 AM

Scott - very interesting video.  Certainly in the past fades and draws weren't possible, and I will often purposely miss the ding (but not by the distance you missed it), particularly in high winds, and I have never seen the ball curve like the one on the video.  It can be seen very clearly to curve right to left, and against the wind, so that is defintiely a 'draw' shot.  i say 'draw', that would actually be classed as a 'hook' (a very big and usually unintentional draw).  And like you say, you wouldn't want to be missing the ding by so much because it would be very easy to mishit it and the ball to not go very far.

• PAGES
RSS