Forums

Help › Forums

Realistic courses

Mon, Jul 17 2023 8:27 AM (6 replies)
  • mrkdman45
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jun 13 2023 5:16 AM

I can't believe that on the 17th hole of St Andrews course the wind is 29 mph from the right and when you move to the 18 th hole it is coming at you 29 mph. that a complete 180 degree turn around. Make it right from hole ot hole. that wind should be from behind me on the 18th hole. I'm sure there are other holes that they don't get it right too.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Fri, Jul 14 2023 10:09 AM

mrkdman45:

I can't believe that on the 17th hole of St Andrews course the wind is 29 mph from the right and when you move to the 18 th hole it is coming at you 29 mph. that a complete 180 degree turn around. Make it right from hole ot hole. that wind should be from behind me on the 18th hole. I'm sure there are other holes that they don't get it right too.

The winds are completely random on here,

• bluzgolf
    1,072 Posts
    Fri, Jul 14 2023 2:10 PM

Like he said, the winds here on WGT are random (hole to hole.)  

That being said, where I live, I actually have seen 35-mph wind shift 180 degrees in seconds.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sat, Jul 15 2023 8:43 AM

borntobesting:
    The winds are completely random on here,
    True, and by design. WGT doesn't want players to predict the wind at certain holes from the first one, which might induce players to select the most favourable conditions.

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Sat, Jul 15 2023 11:21 AM

The fact that we are playing in 30mph winds is unrealistic.  I have played a lot of golf, to include in Hawaii, and have never seen 30mph winds.

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Mon, Jul 17 2023 8:27 AM

Squatch031:

The fact that we are playing in 30mph winds is unrealistic.  I have played a lot of golf, to include in Hawaii, and have never seen 30mph winds.

Then you've not played links courses.  At the likes of St Andrews, Royal St Georges et al, winds can be benign, or they can be blowing a hurricane!  I have seen flagsticks bend so far over it's amazing they don't snap.  The wind is so strong sometimes that once you put your ball down on the green it gets blown away!

If you play the likes of Bethpage on WGT, the high winds there only just get over 20mph, which is nothng compared to a links course, and probably a fair representation for an inland course.  I remember watching the Sony Open in Hawaii in years gone by and the winds there never seemed to be particularly strong.

RSS